Using old filter to cycle??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Using old filter to cycle???

Hey guys, I have just set up my 120 gallon planted tank and the water is really cloudy. To help cycle it, I am thinking on using the filter from the container where my fish from the 20 gallon tank I had before I moved are. Would that work? I would also add the fish. It is a small aqueon HOB filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Any cycled media will speed things up. That's very small amount of cycled media for a 120, but it's better than nothing. It just may not speed things up a whole lot.
Consider a fishless cycle, dosing your 120 with ammonia until you reach 2-3 ppm, that way your fish aren't suffering. Though it may not kill them, ammonia will do damage.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To do the cycle, several things need to be considered. One is that any added bacteria of this type will help to speed things along as it does get both group one and two one scene. But there is also a need to keep in mind that the colony will only grow to the point that is needed to take care of the ammonia (food supply?) that is there at the time. So if you have a 120 with four fish and suddenly stocked it with 24 fish, you will still be looking at a potential for spikes on ammonia and nitrite.
So if the purpose is to add a good deal of fish like when ordering, the fishless cycle may be good as it does the job of building a colony to fit the larger amount of ammonia you are providing from bottled ammonia. So the filter media can speed it up but using bottled ammonia instead of fish can be a better method.
Depends on what you propose doing as you go along. Not as simple as saying "I'm cycled and ready." Cycled to what level?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I will be doing the fishless cycle then. Should I buy any ammonia at a hardware store? How much should I add of it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode