Where to get stainless steel mesh? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to get stainless steel mesh?

Hey guys,
I was wondering where I can get stainless steel mesh to make moss carpets. Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Local hardware stores carry it. OSH you can get it by the foot, but at lowes and home depot you go to the screen door section and you can buy it in big quantities to last a lifetime. They sometimes have a display that shows the differnt kind being either fiberglass or aluminum.

There are the types that come in like a 5 foot wide roll, and the other kind that is about 4'' in width.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
Local hardware stores carry it. OSH you can get it by the foot, but at lowes and home depot you go to the screen door section and you can buy it in big quantities to last a lifetime. They sometimes have a display that shows the differnt kind being either fiberglass or aluminum.

There are the types that come in like a 5 foot wide roll, and the other kind that is about 4'' in width.
I think you're talking about aluminum. I have never heard HD or Lowes stocking any SS mesh. I have asked around with no luck.

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Maybe, but dont they serve the same purpose?

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The christmas moss I bought off ebay came tied to a 2 inch square of stainless steel mesh that was woven together, not welded or molded that way. I really would like to find some more of it as its is heavy and will weigh down the moss all by itself.
I wouldn't use the window screens as i don't trust them to be tank safe. There are probably other things in them than fiberglass and aluminum and they don't have the heft I'm looking for to keep the moss down.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
Maybe, but dont they serve the same purpose?
Yes they serve the same purpose but some aluminum will slowly breakdown in a tank and may release harmful minerals for fish.

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
why not use plastic mesh?

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I could use plastic mesh but its not really heavy enough and the bright white color is quite unsightly until the moss grows in. I wonder if I could find it in black though...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I found black plastic mesh at Home Depot, if you're "sewing" the moss between 2 layers of mesh for the carpet, you could always put a little bit of aquarium gravel in there with it to weight it down, you'd only need a little bit probably. Might work?

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found black plastic lock stitch canvas at Michael's so I am going to try that until I can find some stainless steel. I'm not going to sandwich it between two pieces, just sew it right on top and sew a couple fishing sinkers into the mix to hold it down.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

I too checked lowes and homedepot but no luck.

The best place I have found to get stainless steel mesh is any kitchen dept. I just bought a stainless steel food colander like you would use to drain your spaghetti noodles. I got a 3 piece set for $10......I used the two smallest ones for mesh and gave the largest one of the set to the better half to use in the kitchen.

It should be enough mesh to last me for a while.

Bill321
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Algae Grower

If McMaster doesn't have it, it doesn't exist... http://www.mcmaster.com/
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think I can get this stuff in 12x6" pieces... $12 shipped for 2 pc. PM me.

My tank journals
&
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why not get fiberglass mesh? It's much cheaper. The same stuff we use to lower lighting on some tanks.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Why not get fiberglass mesh? It's much cheaper. The same stuff we use to lower lighting on some tanks.
I think the idea is to get an all in one where you wont have to add any weight to the product. SS mesh is the only material I can think of that is heavy enough and will not leak anything into the tank. I have used the stainless steel strainer before but I wish they sold squares individually instead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode