Starting up tomorrow - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting up tomorrow

So the day has finally come to set up my 55 planted fish tank tomorrow. Gonna do a planted cycle with plants from my local fish store. Any recommendations for starting off as in plants or dosing? Also what would be some good fish to start off with in the coming weeks? Something colorful, algae eaters, shimps or snail? Any info would be helpful getting a lot of different info from both fish stores in my area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Best thing to do is lay out your goals for this tank.

Lighting and CO2 are the largest investments, and should be considered first. With these determined we can help provide answers to your questions, as light and CO2 are two of the largest determining factors of a planted tank along with fertilizers.

So, what is your setup like??

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

55gal tank, an eheim pro 3 canister filter, beams work 120da led light with timer, 300 watt heater, eco complete substrate, really nice African wood and rocks. Goal is just for a moderately plant tank with low tech plants and fish. It’s my first planted tank. Trying something different from my coral tanks.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaron3087 View Post
55gal tank, an eheim pro 3 canister filter, beams work 120da led light with timer, 300 watt heater, eco complete substrate, really nice African wood and rocks. Goal is just for a moderately plant tank with low tech plants and fish. Itís my first planted tank. Trying something different from my coral tanks.
Okay, the most common lower tech plants are usually java fern, java moss, anubias, crypts. Tie/glue/wedge anubias and java ferns into rock/wood, don't plant into the substrate.

Check out rotala rotundifolia, ludwigia repens, Lysimachia nummularia, myriophyllum spp. dwarf red tiger lotus, swords, sagitteria, vallisneria, helanthium. Those plants should work fairly well.

Might also be worth looking into some fertilizer too. Look up Thrive all in one, I've heard good things about it.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the response, that’s pretty much the plants I was thinking about. I forgot I did order thrive s, should be here today. As for starting off some people have recommended using Seachem stability and prime. What do you think about that stuff?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the response, thatís pretty much the plants I was thinking about. I forgot I did order thrive s, should be here today. As for starting off some people have recommended using Seachem stability and prime. What do you think about that stuff?
Stability "should" help, but many believe you are buying a bottle of dead bacteria. It won't hurt, and could speed up a cycle, but it is certainly not needed.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok yea that’s what I’ve read so far. Some people say it’s useless and some people swear by it. Just so much different info out their. When I started saltwater reef tanks It was the same way but I eventually figured out what was best for me. How soon do u think I should start dosing the thrive?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok yea thatís what Iíve read so far. Some people say itís useless and some people swear by it. Just so much different info out their. When I started saltwater reef tanks It was the same way but I eventually figured out what was best for me. How soon do u think I should start dosing the thrive?
If you are starting out with no nutrients than you will need to start dosing right away (assuming there are plants right away). But, you may not need the "full" dose as there is not enough plant mass/growth rates to utilize the "full" dose. Start out at a reduced rate, I'm not familiar with Thrive so I can't say a definitive amount, and add/increase as the plants start to really grow in.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quagulator has given yu some great advice. The one thing I would change, and it's strictly a personal opinion, is the java moss. I really wanted some starting out. I don't think it's very attractive and it ends up everywhere. Other varieties of moss are amazing looking and easy to grow.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yea, java moss can get a bit messy/ugly if left un-checked.

My go too moss as of now is Amblystegium serpens, it grows "up" rather than "horizontal" and it can be grown low tech.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool thank you so much for the help. Yea I wonít get java moss. I donít really want plants that can get out of control too quickly. Iíll let you know how things go tomorrow once itís all set up

Another question Iíve reading a lot on the boards is fish, shrimp and snails. Def want some small community colorful fish, a few algae eaters and some cherry shrimp. Any good recommendations on fish? And are some snails a good idea

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-08-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Algae Grower

Starting up tomorrow

Hello,
Does anyone you know where I can purchase Ambylstegium moss?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kookyxogirl; 02-21-2020 at 09:35 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you're going to keep cherry shrimp you're definitely going to want to get smaller less aggressive fish. Just keep in mind that the vast majority of fish will eat baby shrimp. One of the few exceptions are pygmy corries. I'd have a fairly large group of them in there if it was my tank. Of course you can have success with a lot of other smaller fish. You just have to get your shrimp colony established and have plenty of hiding spaces for them. Babies will stick get eaten but you can usually keep a colony going this way. You have a lot of room for a decent size school of shoaling fish. Something like Harlequin Rasboras, cherry barbs, glow light tetras, lemon tetras, rummynose tetras or of course the cardinal and neon tetras. Otocinclus are good algae eaters and seem to mostly ignore the shrimp.
sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Otocinclus are completely shrimp safe (probably the only fish). A lot of people also keep ember tetras with shrimp.

During your cycle process, see if your LFS will give you a "squeeze" from one of their media sponges. Adding this to your tank will help introduce the bacteria. Hornwort is a great plant during the cycle process as well. Grows extremely fast and consumes a lot of the nutrients.

Good luck.

Tank Journal -
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well finally got my tank together today. Got some crypto, Rotala and some Anubias from my local fish store. Probably gonna head back in a few days and get some more stuff. I still want it planted alittle more. I dosed the water with Seachem prime, iron, excel and thrive. I also have my lights on a time to stay on for 8 hours. Hopefully things go well over the next few days. Any recommendations I should look out for? Or anything else I should do

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode