Plants not growing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Plants not growing

I am just trying to figure out why one of my tanks (29g) isn't growing ANYTHING and why my ebi is growing everything great. I will just tell you guys what I think that the problem is and what I am doing on both of the tanks and hopefully we can come to a conclusion.

I would really like to do some sort of dutch tank and I have had it planned out for a while but whenever I add plants and expect them to fill in, it doesnt happen. I know that It truly is no-growth rather than impatience because I can compare the stems to my EBI's growth.

my 29g tank has high lighting, c02 enough to make my drop checker with 4dkh green, and EI dosing. Substrate - Flora max (Could I need Root tabs?) I originally was using water from my water softener with no growth, so I switched to the hard (extremely hard) water from my garden hose with no growth either, and after switching Im only limited to hard water plants because my water is rock!

My EBI tank has the standard 13w light, no c02, I add flourish comp. and flourish iron every now and then, not on a schedule. Substrate - Fluval Stratum (This is probably the difference between the two,because it softens water and lowers ph...etc. how would I replicate a similar environment in my 29g without replacing all of the substrate? The Fluval stratum is similar to Aquasoil in its buffering capabilities).
In my ebiI am using water softened water which Is supposed to be bad for the plants but they grow like weeds (I only have R.rotundafolia and Cabomba....soon to have giant hygro added). I have R.rotundafolia in my 29g also and It hasn't grown in 2 weeks where as since jan first, my EBI's Rotundafolia has more than doubled in size. I added a bit of Flourish yesterday and it also had a major growth spurt.

I would really like to grow stems like R.rotundafolia, Ludwigia Cuba, Rotala Vietnam, etc. (I really want to order a package from sns which I just saw but I dont want them to die so Im going to hold off).

SOOOOO...... What do you think I could be doing wrong? I know that nobody is going to know a clear cut answer because you can constantly monitor my tank, but suggestions will be appreciated and I am willing to try it all in order to jumpstart this tank. Very recently I put crypts and swords in my tank because the stems werent growing, and I know those need root tabs but I am not really interested in growing these...I like the stem plants and the dutch scaping much better. I had my tank set up for a couple of weeks with no growth from any stem plants and It got Incredibly annoying.

Could I be trimming the plants wrong?
When you trim stem plants I thought that you can just cut them above one of the nodes and replant the top. What is the minimum length in which to start trimming plants?

Im sorry for this essay here but I am getting frustrated, I know that I am very impatient but I am only comparing my ebi's growth to my 29g and notice that the 29g has no growth!

BTW I never see pearling in my tank either....I see streaming sometimes but never pearling.

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Check out my photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Could you be more specific on your light? Type of bulb, length or wattage, and distance above substrate level?

Also, check this link for a video (and translation) of how to trim in a dutch tank: http://aquascape.blog.pl/komentarze/...p?nid=14554688
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

29g tank, 4-6 inches above tank....dual 24w t5ho fixture with one 6700k and one 6500k. The 6700k tube is brand new, the 6500k is okay but Im replacing it any day now.

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Check out my photos

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you dose anything in this tank?

It looks like you have provided propper light and CO2. How about nutrients?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, EI dosing per the sticky for a 20-40g tank.

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Are they growing? or just not growing bushy?

I found this topic very informative.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-timeline.html

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

not growing at all. Thanks ill go check out that post

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I found this topic very informative.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-timeline.html
What, are you just trying to rub it in his face?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm... What plants are they? My red cabomba for example takes quite a bit longer than the green or purple to start growing, my Didlipis diandra however starts growing as I plant it (over exaggeration lol) how long has the tank been setup? and how long have the plants been in the tank?

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
What, are you just trying to rub it in his face?
not at all, if his plants were actually growing, but not filling in the link would provide him with a way to do that

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank has been set up for...hmmmm....between 1-2 months. the plants I had were Giant hygro, rotala rotundafolia, rotala colorata (I think...hard to tell there was never any new growth)... I used to have more but I change my tank a lot. Now I have some amazon swords , crypts, and still have the colorata and rotundafolia. I am in the process of trying to order some ludwigia sp. cuba, some rotala vietnam, more rotala colorata, and some blyxa.

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

hmm. that is strange, Most Hygro are very fast growers for me. 1 to 2 months should be plenty of time for the plants to start growing.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
not at all, if his plants were actually growing, but not filling in the link would provide him with a way to do that

Sorry, I was just joking. It seemed funny to show a tank with a full thick assortments of plants to the guy whoc an't grow them. Btu I understand the point behind it.

I guess sarcasm doesn't come across on the internet.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm going to start off by saying that this may not be the answer to your problem.

When I did the last big re-setup with my planted tank, I also found that I was not getting good plant growth, and I couldn't quite figure out why. Like you I was using good lighting, ferts, and CO2.

I switched from using tap water to using RO/DI water brought up to a reasonable hardness with R/O Right or similar product. I found I got much better results. I am inclined to think that this was because the salts used in R/O Right was a better balance, compared to what was in my tap water, and not because the tap water was bad. However, either could be possible.

Now this was easy and inexpensive for me to do, because I already had the RO/DI unit for my reef system water. It's not for everyone, because it requires addition investment in equipment. You might want to try a partial water change using RO/DI water and see with you get better plant growth. If you do, then consider the investment.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I thought you just switched water on your 29g? Plants take some time to get used to different water conditions, and changing things on them will sometimes stall their growth. Playing with them and moving them around in the tank all the time will also stall them.

I noticed that plants seem to really grow better in softer water too. What's the hardness of the water?

For some reason, it took my plants a little while to get used to things in my 29g as well. I'm thinking it's because I didn't stop tampering with them for a while. Rotala rotundifolia is an extremely easy fast growing stem, but for some weird reason my tank stunts it. On the other hand, Ludwigia cuba is a WEED in my tank, now that I have it past it's emersed form. It grows an inch or more a day, and I'm starting to regret buying it now. Pretty plant, but holy cow that thing is also as bad as hornwort!

As for root tabs, I firmly believe in using them. I put them in underneath all the plants every few months or so. I also dose the water column with full EI dosing and pressurized co2. I think it helps, although I'm sure there will be people who say otherwise.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode