Demitirus worms? Some questions... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Demitirus worms? Some questions...

Hello everyone -hope all is well!

I have a handful of questions about these worms or relating to them. I noticed they started appearing a few weeks ago in my CO2 infused 20L dirted planted tank and I was hoping that my betta would eat them all but it seems that they are better at hiding and there's probably more than he can eat at times. Thankfully it's not a massive explosion of them but enough to see them from time to time in the water and along the glass outside of the water. Last test I did water parameters were fine and I do not overfeed the fish either. Some of the plant leaves and stuff have died and I can't always get to them so I'm sure that's providing the worms some sustenance as well as waste from the fish and snails.

So here are my questions:

1) Since I added my betta I had to remove one of my power heads for oxygen and replaced it with an airstone. I have noticed the plants are not doing as great as they were with the powerhead in there but they are still thriving. Does the airstone have an impact on the worms?

2) For now, the betta is the only fish in the tank along with two assassins and a nerite. There are some smaller snails left over from a pond snail outbreak but nothing huge. I know the betta will eat the worms when he see them, but will the assassin's eat them too?

3) I would like to get some more fauna to snack on the worms hopefully -any suggestions? I read that ghost shrimp might eat them but wasn't totally sure. Any betta friendly fish that will be tolerated by a betta good at eating these worms too? I'm not really worried about the betta attacking other fish as the water flow on one side is faster than he prefers so he just stays on his own side mostly.

4) Is de-worming with the time and effort? I can move my fish and snails to a temporary tank while I do this to the tank but I'm not sure I want to go this route just yet.

5) Does anyone have any good tips for cleaning the gravel cap in a dirted planted tank? I usually just wave my hands through the plants and stuff but I try not to disturb the gravel (Eco-complete in my case) too much for fear of shaking the dirt loose.

As always thank you everyone for your replies and thoughts!

:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
1) Airstone will not impact worms
2) I am not sure if assassins will tackle detritus worms, maybe someone else has experience with this.
3) All depends on your betta's disposition as to whether additions will work.
4) This is the route I would take. Dose the tank with Fenbendazole. Your fish will be fine, snails will need to be removed though. Very little time and effort required with this method. Dose the tank, wait a few days, do a water change. With dirt, removing the dead worms from the substrate will be an issue and you will have decay which can lead to some issues potentially if there's a ton of them...that or it'll just feed the dirt.
5) I use eco complete, I just take my power-head in my hand and point it into areas where detritus may have built up, get it into the water column before a large water change. If your cap is 1"+, you should be fine with this method.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
1) Airstone will not impact worms
2) I am not sure if assassins will tackle detritus worms, maybe someone else has experience with this.
3) All depends on your betta's disposition as to whether additions will work.
4) This is the route I would take. Dose the tank with Fenbendazole. Your fish will be fine, snails will need to be removed though. Very little time and effort required with this method. Dose the tank, wait a few days, do a water change. With dirt, removing the dead worms from the substrate will be an issue and you will have decay which can lead to some issues potentially if there's a ton of them...that or it'll just feed the dirt.
5) I use eco complete, I just take my power-head in my hand and point it into areas where detritus may have built up, get it into the water column before a large water change. If your cap is 1"+, you should be fine with this method.
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll look into the deworming method and will definitely use the powerhead as you suggested!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode