If you won the lottery... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you won the lottery...

What sort of setup would you do?

This is what a customer just asked me.

I’ve pretty much got everything covered except the substrate for a 180 gallon.

We’ve got kessil lights, decent canister filters (I’d prefer a sump but the tank isn’t drilled and he wants quiet so an external overflow is out), and a 5# co2 tank with a ph controller and bubble counter. Only thing I’d want after the substrate is a uv sterilizer but I’ll have to find out if the canisters have enough head height to allow for one.

So cost not being an issue, what is the best out there as far as growing lush plants and longevity?

I don’t want it to crap out on me in a year or two because I doubt my customer would want to pay for me to have to redo everything again so soon. If anything, I suppose I wouldn’t be opposed to using root tablets if that would be necessary instead of swapping the substrate.

I’ve gotten out of the fw planted tank game for a while and more so into reef tanks because that’s my job now but this customer loves planted tanks and I’m not sure what’s out there now. Is ADA Aqua Soil still the bee’s knees? I’ve never used it but I’ve used others similar (read less expensive) for my own tanks that were on a budget. But remember, we won the lottery here so there is no budget.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have an overflow on my 150g with a beananimal return system and its as quiet as my canisters.

5lb co2 tank is a bit small for a 180g. I have a 20lb tank on my 75g.

Go with a flow meter over a bubble counter. Much more accurate on larger tanks. You'll probably need at least a 10-100cc/min. Not sure what the next level above that is.

Next up would be an automated water change system, though much harder without a sump. To me though, that would be the bees knees because that would severely reduce maintenance.

Don't forget the automated fertilizer dosing, sunrise/sunset lighting and wifi control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
I have an overflow on my 150g with a beananimal return system and its as quiet as my canisters.

Next up would be an automated water change system, though much harder without a sump. To me though, that would be the bees knees because that would severely reduce maintenance.
+1 ON THE BeAnAnimal overflow

+1000 on the auto water change system. GREATEST thing I ever did for my fish-keeping hobby. My buddy still doesn't believe me when I tell them how little I do to maintain my 75g in the living room that is set up with a fresh water feed and drain.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Substrate - Pool Filter Sand or Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Never has to be replaced, easy to clean. Plants take nutrients from water column without issue so the need for an expensive substrate like ADA really isn't necessary.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode