AHHHHHH I love and hate stems!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
AHHHHHH I love and hate stems!!!

I just had to rant, I was doing the weekly water change on my 36 gal. Which has a bunch of new stems in it. Well I went to go top some of my stems, and when I pulled them, a couple others came up, this then started a chain reaction lasting 45 very frustrating min. planting, only to have others float to the top.

GRRR...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
It's really bad with flourite. I hate this substrate on trim days.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Oh how do I know your pain!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
It's really bad with flourite. I hate this substrate on trim days.
Oh the joy of it all, yes you are not alone, but my sand tank is the worst for this LOL.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I did this a few weeks ago too. I started with the idea that I would pull a couple stems to rearrange and the next thing I knew, almost all my stems from my 125 gal tan were on the dining room table. Many, many hours later I finished putting everything back.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I know you aren't suppose to put plant them this deep, but I don't give a rat's patootie. I stick my stems close to 2" into the flourite just to make sure they stay down.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm setting up a tank that will have a lot of stems so I'm glad I found this thread.

What's the best substrait to use to keep them rooted? I was planning on a soil based substrate with some sand mixed in.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
I'm setting up a tank that will have a lot of stems so I'm glad I found this thread.

What's the best substrait to use to keep them rooted? I was planning on a soil based substrate with some sand mixed in.
I prefer Flourite over soil as it contains it the best without issue.(imo) It's heavier than Eco Complete. Gravel is too large and sand doesn't 'breath' well enough.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
I know you aren't suppose to put plant them this deep, but I don't give a rat's patootie. I stick my stems close to 2" into the flourite just to make sure they stay down.
Why not stuff 'em to the bottom?
Helps hold them in place until a root forms out of the bedded node and what rots off feeds the plant.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
I prefer Flourite over soil as it contains it the best without issue.(imo) It's heavier than Eco Complete. Gravel is too large and sand doesn't 'breath' well enough.
I've never had ANY bagged substrait that was made for a planted tank so I don't have anything to compare with. What is the Flourite like? Is it a soil still? More clay? What is it that keeps the plants in better?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
I think that flourite sand is best... but that is just me. I just spent over 3 hours tearing down my 20g tank and replacing it with a new 20g...

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've never had ANY bagged substrait that was made for a planted tank so I don't have anything to compare with. What is the Flourite like? Is it a soil still? More clay? What is it that keeps the plants in better?
My post was refering to using Flourite original as a capping material for a soil based substrate. Flourite original is basically crushed brick. It's a fired clay product. Placing about an inch of soil first then capping with the Flourite.

Reading my post I should have posted;
"I prefer capping the soil with Flourite as it contains it the best without issue." (sorry) I've had a tank using this substrate combination for over a year and the soil has remained on the bottom without mixing into the Flourite and releasing into the water column.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
My post was refering to using Flourite original as a capping material for a soil based substrate. Flourite original is basically crushed brick. It's a fired clay product. Placing about an inch of soil first then capping with the Flourite.

Reading my post I should have posted;
"I prefer capping the soil with Flourite as it contains it the best without issue." (sorry) I've had a tank using this substrate combination for over a year and the soil has remained on the bottom without mixing into the Flourite and releasing into the water column.

I see, so basically capping it off with any substrait with slightly larger heavier particles will help to hold the stems down.

But straight soil or sand allow the plants to uproot easier.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I placed a activ-flora sandish substrate first, then the red florite like activ-flora substrate above that, well... My fingers do not get the stems deep enough, so they end up getting uprooted. To make matters worse, I TONS of MTS snails that do a good job too lol

I went and got a good pair of large tweezers to get them deeper into the sand which seems to do a good job of locking things down. good news though, my stems seem to have rooted finally, but I will need to top the Parrots Feather again this week lol

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
get the small aluminum strips that they usually come with (atleast at my lfs) and plantem with those on the bottoms

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!

SunSun Pimp #39

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode