Clorox Fiber Guard Bleach to Restore Purigen? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clorox Fiber Guard Bleach to Restore Purigen?

The only bleach I have is this 'clorox fiber guard stuff'

there's no scents added or anything but I'm wondering if it will do anything bad? I figure a good rinse would be fine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you want to use that bleach. It would seem to have something added to protect the fabric. I don't think it's worth the risk.

I would not want to use it to restore Purigen for that reason. Remember Purigen absorbs things. It's also expensive. I wouldn't care to risk spoiling it.

You want the Clorox regular bleach. It's only a couple of dollars, so it's one of the least expensve products you'll use for aquarium. Besides, you can also use it in your laundry.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It doesn't say it contains anything, just that it's not harsh on fabrics. It's also hypoallergenic, which I would assume means there's no added chemicals really.

I'm trying it out right now, and my purigen already looks brand new lol. I'll give it a really really good rinse and dechlorinate it, and I'm sure it will work. Found some accounts of people using this stuff.

If not I have a ton of purigen left lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The "fiberguard" additive appears to be sodium polyacrylate.

In dry form, it's a substance that can absorb 200-300x its weight in water. Absorbs calcium and magnesium, so it acts as a water softener; which is probably related to its function in bleach.

It's used in diapers and such. Under the name "water crystals", it's used in (or as) plant soil to help retain water. The terrestrial plants falsely sold as aquatic plants in tubes at pet stores are packed in it.

Non-toxic as far as I know, but you wouldn't want to eat it in dry form for obvious reasons.

If I remember correctly, it's also the ingredient in a novelty bath product that turns the bathwater into a chunky gelatinous goo. Addition of table salt breaks it down when you're ready to drain the tub.

So it's unlikely to harm your plants/fish; and if for some reason it clogs the Purigen, a saltwater wash should clear it up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode