Photoperiod is too short? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Photoperiod is too short?

is it possible that im not giving my plant enough lighting time? my photoperiod is for only 3 hours a day. sometimes every other day. is there such thing as too short of a photoperiod?

thanks

Benedict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is it that short because otherwise you get algae? You could try raising the light fixtures or cutting the wattage and lengthening the period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

Why so short? Why so random?
Just get a timer and set it for 8-10 hours.
The pet store ones are overpriced but you can get one at home depot for under 5 bucks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Your question would definitely be easier to answer if you explained why your lights are on for so little time and only on some days. I would imagine that yes, the photoperiod could be too short hindering the growth of your plants / their ability to survive. If, as houstonhobby asked, the reason is that you get algae otherwise, then I would suggest you think about one of the options houstonhobby suggested or another method that allows the plants more light per day. And a timer for the lights is definitely helpful.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why so short? Are you blasting a 5 gallon tank with 400 watts of metal halide or something?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

when i turn the lights+co2 on during the day, fish will start acting weird. they arent gasping for air but just not as active. co2 is at 30ppm(greenish yellow on the drop checker). algae is not my problem, my fish are. with the number of fish i have in there around 20 small-medium size fish, i dont use ferts anymore. i have to stress this that my fish ARE NOT gasping for air when the lights+CO2 are on, they just dont move too much. BUT even though i have surface agitation, they start gasping for air at night time when the lights and CO2 are OFF! they recover quickly once i put a airstone in there.

-i probably have too much CO2 during my photoperiod.
-my plants are taking in too much O2 at night. leaving nothing for fish.

Benedict
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Are you using 4dKH solution in the drop checker, or tank water? Also, greenish-yellow is probably more in the 40-50ppm range. Solid green, with a 4dKH solution, is 30ppm.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

im using the solution that came with the drop checker i got from aquaticmagic.

how about fish gasping for air at night time/light+co2 off? i would be nice to not run air anymore since i dont really like the bubbling sound that it creates.

Benedict
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Plants do NOT take in o2, they do use oxygen but they get it from co2.
Are you using a canister filter or HOB?
If HOB, lower your water level for more oxygenation.
If you are pumpin in co2, but then never giving plants a photoperiod to use it, they are not oxygenating your water. Run the lights at a normal schedule without co2 for a few days.
Do a 10-20 percent water change.
When your fish return to acting normal slowly raise your co2 from zilch, dont go straight back to what you were pumping in. When I say slowly I mean 6+ hours between increments.
edit: actually plants get o2 by breaking down water molecules - dissolved oxygen in the water is of no interest to plants.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zareth View Post
Plants do NOT take in o2, they do use oxygen but they get it from co2.

edit: actually plants get o2 by breaking down water molecules - dissolved oxygen in the water is of no interest to plants.
What?!

Plants use oxygen. Plants also do not get oxygen by electrolysing water!

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

im just going to keep the airstone in there at night just to be on the safe side.

anyway. so how long should lights be on if im trying to grow a nice carpet of tropica 049? is 10 hours too long? i do have other plants in there that are prone to getting algae like anubias and ferns. thats another reason i keep the photoperiod short.

ive been running the lights on for 10 hours the past couple of days and im thinking about cutting it back a few hours.

Benedict
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Cutting it down to 8 hours shouldn't be a problem. I would start with about 8 hours first.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Your certainly not getting 30+ppm of co2 in the tank if the solution from AM is not a 4dkh solution, any info on that would be very helpful. If it is a 4dkh solution, is there any way you can turn down the amount of co2 that is going into your tank (needle valve)?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i turned the lights+co2 down to 8-9hours. i turned the co2 thats going on the tank down also(via needle valve). everything seem ok until the last couple of hours of the photoperiod. they arent gasping for air but breathing is starting to become abit heavy though. they snap out of it once the lights and co2 are off and the air pump kicks in. i wonder if there just isnt enough O2 in the water during my photoperiod? my plants also just started "pearling" today so im hoping that my plants pearling will help my fish's breathing. also if this counts for something, regardless of them breathing heavy the last couple of hours of my photoperiod. they will still beg for food and would still actually eat.

Benedict
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi gogreen,

Quote:
im using the solution that came with the drop checker i got from aquaticmagic.
+1 for bsmith comment. I use Aquatic Magic drop checkers as well, in fact I put together a "group buy" of 20 units for GSAS members last fall. The indicator solution from Aquatic Magic is fine, but you have to mix up your own 4.0 dKH water to fill the drop checker half way and then add 3-6 drops of the indicator solution.

The instuctions from Aquatic Magic are incorrect, they say "In the same invert postion, place some aquarium water into the tester (amount of water neeis is to fill up to half of the ball" which is wrong because your aquarium water could be almost any dKH. You are lucky you have not lost a tank full of fish.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode