gluing or siliconing Drift wood down? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken Keating1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question gluing or siliconing Drift wood down?

HEy guys so I got this nice piece of DW cleaned it today and gonna soak if all of April not sure it will be water logged or not...so I am thinking about the possibility of silicone it to a tile or just to bottom of the tank?
aquarium safe silicon of course...will it work? stick to the wood?? or is there a better gluing option?

I know I can use fishing or stainless steel wire but the main piece is pretty big 4" wide and the end. prefer not to see all that wire if I can help it.
there is also SS screws but that mans I would have to drill holes in tile.

I also be be adding more smaller branched to the main center piece..

SO what is your best and cleanest looking method of DW attachment.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As wood soaks, it gradually changes shape and over time it also becomes less solid, since adhesives often only grip on the surface, this can make for a bad combo, depending on how the wood and adhesives works over time. sometimes it will hold long enough for the wood to fully soak before the outer part comes loose.
But then there are other times when the outer layer pulls loose before the wood is ready to stay down and that can be really bad. Depending a lot on the wood but if it is a large piece and it really wants to float, it can stay down for a few weeks and then when it comes loose, it can shoot up like a submarine broaching. That can wipe out glass lids or lights if they are in reach!
I don't like the idea of something happening while I'm not there, so I only use solid fastening like long screws that go well into the solid middle part of the wood.
Just the old worried part of me as I don't like surprises?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think a screw (or two) through a piece of ceramic tile into the bottom of the wood would do the trick.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When you mention tile and drilling, there may be a bit of confusion as there are hard tiles and really hard! Rather than go for the glazed or really hard stuff there are others which can be drilled much easier. Look for those which tend to flake off or rub off just a bit. Those may sold as "slate" which is a natural stone but also not quite as hard rock. There is one called terrazzo tile which has holes from nature and is one of the "easy " tiles to drill but is pretty expensive among tiles.
But there are ways to avoid paying for the good stuff! One is to go to the places that sell tile/floors, etc. when they are not busy and just let them know what you are looking for and why. You may find that most will have leftovers broken, etc. and they may let you look over a stack in back to take what you want for free. They don't want to pay to haul it off, so giving it away makes sense to them!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK cool guys, yeah dont what it shooting up and taking out the lights!!
are you guys using SS screws or just normal wood screws ?

what about attaching the smaller pieces to the larger if i need to. they have been soaking for a few weeks but took them out to change the water there where pretty water looged but after leaving them dry for a few days they seem to float once again...will the water logging process take the same time or faster this time around?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use SS screws. You can also use SS eye bolts and cable tie them to tiles or rocks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

I drilled holes in a piece of granite to use as a base and used stainless steel screws to hold down and position 2 pieces of driftwood in my tank.

Masonry bit and hammer setting worked well. I also predrilled the driftwood to avoid splitting.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do not keep shrimp or anything that are really touchy about metal so I pay little attention to the type of screw. My thinking is that all the water is pumped, stored and moved in metal from the main pump to the water tower and even my faucets are brass inside, so the little time the water spends in my tank is such a small percentage of the total time, that iot see,s it would matter very little.
Some of the handy ways to fasten odd shaped wood to other things like rocks or other wood is the plastic starps like used for electrical wiring, etc. They come in a wide range of sizes and colors and I can usually find some spot that lets me hide them. The place for the holes takes some thought but it is easier to drill wood than rock and once the holes are in the "Tie-Wraps" are easy. If there is a Harbor Freight handy, they are my best source..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is the piece of Dw in question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
HEy guys so I got this nice piece of DW cleaned it today and gonna soak if all of April not sure it will be water logged or not...so I am thinking about the possibility of silicone it to a tile or just to bottom of the tank?
aquarium safe silicon of course...will it work? stick to the wood?? or is there a better gluing option?

I know I can use fishing or stainless steel wire but the main piece is pretty big 4" wide and the end. prefer not to see all that wire if I can help it.
there is also SS screws but that mans I would have to drill holes in tile.

I also be be adding more smaller branched to the main center piece..

SO what is your best and cleanest looking method of DW attachment.

cheers
I glued wood on wood with gorilla glue for my tank.

worked
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was wondering what glue was safe? I know in SW some glue is toxic but dont know about FW...

Bump: I was wondering what glue was safe? I know in SW some glue is toxic but dont know about FW...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) is generally considered aquarium safe. I use it to attach anubias to rocks, some mosses on driftwood. Many people use it to attach plants to surfaces. It may require too much glue to glue your dw onto your tank though.. I would honestly just tie it to rocks/ glue rocks on until it can sink on its own. boiling it will help, though it looks too large to fit in a pot!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it is just the one piece that is in question,I might place a large smooth river stone on it to hold it down until such time as the wood becomes water logged and stay's down on it own.
Some wood takes longer than other's to become water logged.
Could super glue some anubia,or bucephalandra to the wood and tuck some more plants around the base.
Just an idea.
I don't care for not being able to move wood pieces such as one might not wish to do if drilled or glued to tile under the substrate,but for center piece,or focal point,(not gonna move it),then attaching it to tile as mentioned would maybe help keep it in place.
Larger pieces of wood might take fairly thick piece of tile to keep the wood from wanting to bob back up until it's water logged.
I have used stainless steel screws into two inch thick Sandstone pieces of tile when larger pieces of wood that I tried still wanted to bob back up after eight week's of soaking outdoors in tub of water.
As mentioned,,some wood's just didn't want to stay down for me despite what I felt was long enough time soaking.
I had the idea of the hardscape in mind,,and perhaps just needed more patience.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wood is one of things that really takes some looking and thought for each piece. There are times when it will stand or lay in what I feel is the "right" position but not often. Nature and I don't seem to agree on how things work, so I have to add some way to hold it the angle I want and often that is easier with adding some tile. Laying rocks on top or add the side works too but most of the time tile drills easier than rock.
So then it takes some experiment to see how much tile or rock is needed. That's where having an old utility sink is nice as I can put the wood in and let it spend some time deciding if it want s set up or turn over!
This piece is one that can set in lots of ways and I like having spaces where fish can swim in and under wood, so I might like to add several pieces of tile to allow the wood to set somewhat higher but not have a single huge tile to work around in the tank.
So that leaves times when Imay add several layers of something like 4X4 " tile at different points rather than one large tile. But that is where the looking and thought has to be done on each item as we each see it work best.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode