Green Water... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green Water...

ok, so, i searched the forum before posting this, but, maybe I missed someone having the same issue, so, here it goes. I have an 80 gallon tank with sand, a bit of rock as a river bed and a few live plants. I was waiting to put more plants just cause i wanted to see how the few ones i do have end up.

the only problem i have been consistently having with the tank is that my water has a slight green tint to it. there is no algae on the glass. I had the water tested a while back and i was told there there seemed to be a little to much fecal matter in the water. i bought some enzymes were supposed to help, and they didnt do anything. i cant help to think that this could be something else causing this problem. i do about 1/3 water change every week on the tank.

any advice will be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? How long has the tank been set up? and how many/what kind of fish do you have in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

i have the tropic sun light (same thing was happening with marine glo), i have 16 small fish (5 cardinal tetra, 2 danio, 2 platty, 2 neon tetra, 1 angel, 3 catfish, 1 pleco), and a turtle. this tank has been set up for about 6 months now. i also put a home made co2 system on it a couple weeks ago hoping that it would help the plants grow quicker and maybe it would help the water, but, it didnt seem to do much.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well green water can mean too much light so you might try reducing your lighting either by turning off a bulb or by raising higher off the tank. How many bulbs/watts do you have? Turtles I have heard are very messy eaters so that might be causing the green water. You might need more filtration for them.

Also you could try using a UV sterilizer.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

i have tried keeping the light off for a couple weeks before to see a difference, and nothing. it is just a standard 48" Tropic Sun light, and i have it on a timer to only be on 8 hours a day. as for the filtration, i have a really nice fluval 404 on it. it is supposed to be good up to 100 gallons. i was thinking of trying a UV sterilizer, but, they are pricy and havent been able to invest in one just yet.also, turtles are a bit dirty, but, i am sure that it is something i am doing wrong since my friend that had the turtle before, never had problems like this.

maybe i should get a test kit and test the water myself?

i am just getting frustrated since for 6 months i have had a small 2.5 gallon tank on my desk at work, and i have not done even one water change, and the water is still perfect. i simply add a little RO water every week when it gets a bit low, and that is it. i may just invest in a different filtration system and see what that works out too.

any other suggestions? also, thanks for trying to help. it seems so far that no matter who i talk to, everyone has the same suggestions, so, that is why i was told to come here. you are the first person to suggest the UV sterilizer, so, that already shows that you ust be more knowledgeable than most of the people i talk to. i only know about them cause of the fish store i go to.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/ has a really good algae guide. It says it is usually a sign of ammonia. Which means your biological filtration isn't working properly. What kind of media do you have in your 404 baskets? The Fluval 404 is a good filter, but I've never kept turtles before so it could be that it just cant keep up with the waste he is putting off.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What are you feeding with? Could what you are using have a green dye in it? With an actual green water outbreak I had when setting up my 3g, I increased the photo period to cause it to run its course more quickly as well as doing massive water changes but that could get rough with an 80g tank.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
first of all i would love to know what kind of test kit they used to determine that there was too much fecal matter in your tank. sounds like a scam your lfs pulled on you to buy some products.

green water usually pops up when there is ammonia present with some bright light.

there are different solutions. you can use live daphnia, but your fish will prbably eat it all. there is some way of doing it with a willow branch that i've never tried so i cant recommend. you can pick up a uv sterilzer which will clear it up easily. and you could do a more natural 3 day blackout.

blackout consists of unplugging your lights. remove your co2 setup. do a large water change (50% or more). add a air stone. cover the tank with something dark like a quilt or black trashbags so that absolutely no light comes in. dont peak in the tank, dont even feed your fish or turtle. after 3 full days of having no light uncover and do another large water change (50% or more). and that should have solved your problem.

and obviously adding a uv sterilizer while doing the blackout would be a huge help
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstgermain View Post
i have the tropic sun light (same thing was happening with marine glo), i have 16 small fish (5 cardinal tetra, 2 danio, 2 platty, 2 neon tetra, 1 angel, 3 catfish, 1 pleco), and a turtle.

That's your problem.

I don't know of any species of turtle that would be appropriate for this type of setup.

IMO you either need to set up the tank for the fish and plants, or for the turtle.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
first of all i would love to know what kind of test kit they used to determine that there was too much fecal matter in your tank. sounds like a scam your lfs pulled on you to buy some products.
Surely you've herd of the API fecal matter test kit.

Just kidding. I agree with timwag. What do you mean "too much fecal matter"? Ammonia is high? Nitrates are high?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstgermain View Post
i have the tropic sun light (same thing was happening with marine glo), i have 16 small fish (5 cardinal tetra, 2 danio, 2 platty, 2 neon tetra, 1 angel, 3 catfish, 1 pleco), and a turtle. this tank has been set up for about 6 months now. i also put a home made co2 system on it a couple weeks ago hoping that it would help the plants grow quicker and maybe it would help the water, but, it didnt seem to do much.
A local fish store has a display tank that has an unusual fish+turtle setup that sounds like yours and from looking at it the LFS owner makes it work by using a lot of water hyacinth to soak up the organics. He was several of them the size of a large head of cabbage floating around in the tank and the tank is clean despite being overstocked.

If water hyacinth is illegal or you don't want to try it you could at least put duckweed in the tank. As a floating plant ALL of the nutrients it consumes are from the water and so this deprives the green algae of nutes.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 PM
J-P
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
or a diatom filter
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringname View Post
If water hyacinth is illegal or you don't want to try it you could at least put duckweed in the tank. As a floating plant ALL of the nutrients it consumes are from the water and so this deprives the green algae of nutes.
Wouldn't the turtle just have it for lunch?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

i feed the turtle meal worms, so, no green dye there. as for the unusual setup, yes, it is a bit unusual, but, i know it can work cause my friend that passed away had the turtle with fish prior, and the tank was always clear. im certain that this is just user error on my end. i will try some of the suggested things though and let you all know how it turns out. thanks for the tips.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
Wouldn't the turtle just have it for lunch?
The duckweed or the hyacinth? Since the hyacinth is thriving in the display tank I assume that it would survive.

Tags
green water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode