Aquarium water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium water

I have a question i am thinking of using the same water for aquarium that we use for drinking..
I dont know if this might be a bad idea.. but tap water i cant find it reliable.. atleast drinking drinking water i know the parameters..
I have attached a pic do u think it is a good idea??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_234227_1522594153579.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	842009  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 06:44 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Jeez, that water is high in nitrates.

Is your tap water that unreliable that you have to use bottled water? The latter is very expensive

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Jeez, that water is high in nitrates.

Is your tap water that unreliable that you have to use bottled water? The latter is very expensive

Yeah i have no information about the tap water and its parameters.. tried to look it up but nothing available..but i do know that they have de salination plants which converts sea water for tap water and normal day usage.. as saudi arabia is a desert..
So i am guessing that water would be much worst converted from sea water.

Drinking water isnt that expensive its less then a dollar for 5 gallons..
Thats the problem when things are gov owned no info available.. and getting all those test to do it myself too expensive..

So i need to find another bottled water with less nitrates ?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Can you get this test kit from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...test+kit&psc=1
If yes, then also get their gH/kH test.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Can you get this test kit from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...test+kit&psc=1
If yes, then also get their gH/kH test.
I already have ammonia nitrite and nitrate kit..had bought them to cycle the tank..
Only missing ph (already ordered) and kh/gh test still to order.
Would these tests be enough to check any water?? These are the main ones right ?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Right, these are the main ones.
Good luck, friend.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Right, these are the main ones.
Good luck, friend.
Thank you that was really helpful..

I just have one more question i have an internal filter in my tank and co2 disperser on the other side.. i kept it that way so that it would take the co2 all over the tank instead of co2 bubbles reaching the surface.. am i wrong in this case would the air actually do the opposite and not let any co2 dissolve ?? Should i get an external filter ?

I have ordered co2 checker but it would take 2 weeks to arrive..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I think that given what you have, your co2 location is fine. What are the dimentions of your tank?

Pushing co2 in does not necessarily mean that it pushes o2 out. Water can contain both enough o2 and co2 at the same time. Here is a decent article that explains the basics and you can find more information on Internet https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...test+kit&psc=1

What kind of filter you have is a personal preference and depends on your specific goals. People commonly use internal filters for tanks < 10g, HOB filters on tanks < 30g, and cannister filters on tanks > 30g.

Having "nice" equipment is great, but it does not guarantee that it will make your tank great. It is your knowledge and effort that will.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think that given what you have, your co2 location is fine. What are the dimentions of your tank?

Pushing co2 in does not necessarily mean that it pushes o2 out. Water can contain both enough o2 and co2 at the same time. Here is a decent article that explains the basics and you can find more information on Internet https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...test+kit&psc=1

What kind of filter you have is a personal preference and depends on your specific goals. People commonly use internal filters for tanks < 10g, HOB filters on tanks < 30g, and cannister filters on tanks > 30g.

Having "nice" equipment is great, but it does not guarantee that it will make your tank great. It is your knowledge and effort that will.
I have two 10g tanks. One is already cycled with shrimps in it with sponge filter and now this second one is the new one i am trying with plants so everything is new as i wanted to shift a bit of shrimps in it and add couple of fish to this one.. if i am successful in getting a planted tank up and running i would probably get a bigger tank..
The dimensions are 45 cm length , 33 width and 32 height.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very good to think and learn things slowly as simple things like water are different everywhere we go.
Sea water is often hard for us to use but then it also may be treated in different ways to get the salt out, so it is hard to say if your own is good or really bad.
But then then is part of the hobby. I have to figure it out each time I move and then adjust what I do.
Look, learn, sometimes fail, and adjust as needed!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

In my opinion water quality is at the very top of the list. I use Ro water. Then reminerlized with salty shrimp gh kh+ to a TDS of 150. At that point I can control everything.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Very good to think and learn things slowly as simple things like water are different everywhere we go.
Sea water is often hard for us to use but then it also may be treated in different ways to get the salt out, so it is hard to say if your own is good or really bad.
But then then is part of the hobby. I have to figure it out each time I move and then adjust what I do.
Look, learn, sometimes fail, and adjust as needed!!
That is what i am trying to do adjust here & there to get optimal levels and learn more.. i found a report on de salination plant with parameters here but for 2009 - 2010.. i am guessing not much would have changed and also found a report of all drinking water parameter with many having very low nitrates.
Lets just hope i get things right &#x1f602;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
In my opinion water quality is at the very top of the list. I use Ro water. Then reminerlized with salty shrimp gh kh+ to a TDS of 150. At that point I can control everything.
I do also believe water is the first important thing. I wish i could do what you do but i cant even find normal aquarium things here that i have to order online and wait 30 to 40 days for delievery and that is becoming expensive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode