Upgrading to a 29 and jumpstart - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upgrading to a 29 and jumpstart

I've ordered a 29 gallon in which my fish to continue their lifetime adventure. They are currently in a 10g which has been running for years.

Fish are 4 peacock gudgeons and a small ancistrus gold.Also an amano shrimp. Plants are 2 large Anubias, some smaller ones - all tied to driftwood....and some Najas(guppy grass)

If I were to transfer the filter media(10g has a HOB Eheim Liberty), substrate, plants and hardscape into the 29 - will this give me an instant cycle?

I will most likely add some bacteria in a bottle, and also some extra ceramic media that I will leave in the 10g to colonize, extra sponges - basically, as many objects that can house bacteria as I can.

Do I risk losing my fish if I transfer them right away?

I am not in a hurry to see the 29 up and running, but a direct transfer would save me some extra work - the 10g is currently sitting on the 29's furniture, so it would be easier for me just to empty it, put fish in a bucket, switch tanks, transfer media - rather than emptying it, moving in a different location and refilling, placing the 29 and then transferring after a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your tips

Last edited by KrustyKrab; 04-01-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:31 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
To your cycle question: yes and no. If you transfer your bacteria to the new tank without any food for them, they will starve and you are back to square one. If you go that route, might as well add some fish food to keep the bacteria going.

I am in a similar situation to yours, as I am playing musical chairs with 4 - 5 of my tanks. One key question in this process: what is your substrate and do you want to clean it prior to transfer. If you are keeping both tanks, what substrate do you want in each? If the substrate in the new tank will be innert, then you might as well put the new substrate in the new tank and leave the old one in the 10g. Another thing to keep in mind is as you start moving substrate over, both tanks will be a mess for a day or two. Yet another question is what are your plans on filtering and heating both tanks.

In you case, I would concentrate on the new tank first, deal with the 10g later.

Equipment and substrate aside, I would:

- Use hose / pump to move ~80% of water from 10g into a couple of buckets
- 10g is now light enough - replace it with the 29g.
- Use a hose / pump to move water from the buckets into the 29.. Fill the 29 up to ~75% and make sure it is stable and does not leak.
- Move driftwood/plants/hardscape right over.
- Move the filter, maybe leave some material behind.
- Now your 10g is pretty empty - catch the fish and move them right over, they will be fine in a bare bottom tank, if need be.

Might take you about an hour or 2 for the whole process. Take a break, deal with the rest of the mess later. Then come over and help me with mine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
To your cycle question: yes and no. If you transfer your bacteria to the new tank without any food for them, they will starve and you are back to square one. If you go that route, might as well add some fish food to keep the bacteria going.

I am in a similar situation to yours, as I am playing musical chairs with 4 - 5 of my tanks. One key question in this process: what is your substrate and do you want to clean it prior to transfer. If you are keeping both tanks, what substrate do you want in each? If the substrate in the new tank will be innert, then you might as well put the new substrate in the new tank and leave the old one in the 10g. Another thing to keep in mind is as you start moving substrate over, both tanks will be a mess for a day or two. Yet another question is what are your plans on filtering and heating both tanks.

In you case, I would concentrate on the new tank first, deal with the 10g later.

Equipment and substrate aside, I would:

- Use hose / pump to move ~80% of water from 10g into a couple of buckets
- 10g is now light enough - replace it with the 29g.
- Use a hose / pump to move water from the buckets into the 29.. Fill the 29 up to ~75% and make sure it is stable and does not leak.
- Move driftwood/plants/hardscape right over.
- Move the filter, maybe leave some material behind.
- Now your 10g is pretty empty - catch the fish and move them right over, they will be fine in a bare bottom tank, if need be.

Might take you about an hour or 2 for the whole process. Take a break, deal with the rest of the mess later. Then come over and help me with mine.
Thanks for your reply OVT,

I would gladly come to help But I live in Europe, and by the time I get a visa for the States etc., your tank will have cycled and your fish will have grandfry

Anyway, here is a pic of my 10 gallon and everything that will be moved + whatever lurks in the HOB.

I forgot to mention that the 29 has a filter of its own, pump 500 liters per hour. I am going to transfer the established sponges + stuff in the stocking in it.

Here is a link to the 29 I ordered. It's a cheapo Juwel Primo or something, but hey.....as long as it holds water.....
Juwel Juwel Primo 110 LED at Lynwood Aquatics based in Surrey UK

Also forgot to add that the substrate is Dennerle Shrimp soil, 0.7mm / 1.2 mm , Inert. A rather fine layer currently in the 10 g- with all the plants attached, I always kept a fine layer for easier vacuuming. I have a second brand new bag of the same stuff laying around.

I will not be keeping both tanks. Should I add The other bag of substrate to the 10 g now to get some bacteria on it? Even if it means moving more substrate afterwards.....?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2018-04-01_10-43-54.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	842001  

Last edited by KrustyKrab; 04-01-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:00 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Hehe, you give me no choice - I will have to come back to UK and pay you a visit

Given no more 10g, I would just transfer everything in one go. I see no need to mess around with the old media - just run both filters on the 29 for a couple of weeks.

10g is not that heavy, even when full. If you can position the 29 next to 10, use, say 1/2", hose to suck maybe 50% of water and sand from 10 to 29. Now both weight around 50lb. Roughly the same as a bag of food for our dog. Now the trick is to find a temporary support for the 10 - a coffee table, even a wooden chair with a flat seat will do for half an hour. Move the 10 to the temp spot, put 29 on the old stand, move the rest of the water and sand from 10 to 29. Add more sand, clean up.

I bet the above is rather obvious and you don't need me to spell it all out. Thinking it through and doing prep work will take longer then the actual transfer.

Post some pictures of the new tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hehe, you give me no choice - I will have to come back to UK and pay you a visit

Given no more 10g, I would just transfer everything in one go. I see no need to mess around with the old media - just run both filters on the 29 for a couple of weeks.

10g is not that heavy, even when full. If you can position the 29 next to 10, use, say 1/2", hose to suck maybe 50% of water and sand from 10 to 29. Now both weight around 50lb. Roughly the same as a bag of food for our dog. Now the trick is to find a temporary support for the 10 - a coffee table, even a wooden chair with a flat seat will do for half an hour. Move the 10 to the temp spot, put 29 on the old stand, move the rest of the water and sand from 10 to 29. Add more sand, clean up.

I bet the above is rather obvious and you don't need me to spell it all out. Thinking it through and doing prep work will take longer then the actual transfer.

Hehe, thank you very much for your tips. I'll let you know how it goes
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well, here goes. Please excuse the mess, I just tossed the plants in there. I'm very happy that there was no cloudiness after switching to the larger tank.

Pretty happy with the size(29g or 110 Liters) and light spectrum of the 10.5w LED. Less excited about the silicone-glued filter. Its powerhead(apparently) moves 500L per hour (130g).It is divided vertically, however. Half of its case is media empty, occupied only by the powerhead and heater. The other half can host 2 to 4 (at the most) 2.5 x 2.5 inch sponges placed vertically .

Most water is being drawn at the Top part of the filter, then moved down and back up through the powerhead. The box has other lower intakes, but I doubt it's as efficient as a canister filter. I will definitely get a canister if I start cramming more fish in. I filled the lower half with the Eheim Bio Balls in the sock, and placed the old cycled sponges from the old filter (coarse to fine) in the upper half.

For now, only 4 (Stunted)Peacock Gudgeons, 1 Amano Shrimp, 1 golden Ancistrus and 2 nerites. Many MTS lurking during the dark period. The Amano is kinda like my safety gauge, as it should be the first critter to die, in case something isn't right, right?

I did get some cloudy water when adding the substrate from the 10g, but not for long - I also added another bag of the same stuff. Very fine layer on the bottom, impossible to plant anything in it, but I'll keep it that way for now.

The Anubias are from the older tank, same as the Najas which has broken and spread everywhere during the switch. I'll get to it someday.

The tank looked kinda empty , so I went to a nearby Petshop(not LFS), and bought their 3 remaining plants (Anacharis, Ceratopteris siliqua and Ludwigia Glandulosa.

I shoved some of the Cerato into a piece of those cylindrical sponges used at the intake and wedged it behind some hardscape. Any bits who managed to float still do, along with Najas and Anacharis.

From what I read, L. Glandulosa is a rather Hi Tech plant so I doubt it will last, but hey, as long as it's green Now, and sucking Nitrates

Will post some more pics/updates, as the tank settles a bit more.

Thank you very much OVT for helping me put together a plan for this move. It didn't take long and was actually quite fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2018-04-04_21-18-04.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	842577  

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Grandulosa gets huge and dark red/purple color.
Enjoy your new tank!
KrustyKrab and KrustyKrab like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

I would think you could do this; I have always wondered a bit though. I know the rocks, substrate and tank itself also have bacteria but I figured the filters typically have more than enough... I might also maybe grab some of the water (not from vacuuming the substrate, just from the top). As OVT mentioned, the real concern would be to make sure you don't have a period of time where the filter is "starving" with no ammonia sources.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode