• 2 Post By Kubla
  • 4 Post By KrypleBerry
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about optimizing plant growth

I do keep somewhat heavily planted tanks with no Co2/ferts (dirt though). Growth is slow but i can keep things like Mayacas, swords, blue hygros, the kind of stuff you dont normally see in low-tech tanks.
However, i do want to upgrade to high tech. Pretty soon im upgrading to a 2 ft 2 bulb F14T5 grow light for my 30g. Also, later than that, a fluval Co2 kit (cheaper, hopefully not for a bad reason). Also on that list of upgrades is dosing actual ferts.

Can anyone make suggestions on a dosing method, best place to buy raw dosing elements, and a source for Co2 to refill?

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.

Last edited by The Bungulo; 03-30-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: didnt finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bungulo View Post
I do keep somewhat heavily planted tanks with no Co2/ferts (dirt though). Growth is slow but i can keep things like Mayacas, swords, blue hygros, the kind of stuff you dont normally see in low-tech tanks.
However, i do want to upgrade to high tech. Pretty soon im upgrading to a 2 ft 2 bulb F14T5 grow light for my 30g. Also, later than that, a fluval Co2 kit (cheaper, hopefully not for a bad reason). Also on that list of upgrades is dosing actual ferts.

Can anyone make suggestions on a dosing method, best place to buy raw dosing elements, and a source for Co2 to refill?

Green leaf aquatics for dry ferts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

240 gallon Neptune Apex controlling 2 FX6's, 4 Kessil 360X Tuna Sun's, 2 EcoTech PM40's, GLA SS-Pro, DOS, BRS dosing pump and 2 Finnex 800w heaters
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:38 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
One of our long-time members who knows his stuff: Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics
dukydaf, dukydaf, Nlewis and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Maybe there's a different kit. I thought the Fluval took disposable cartridges. It can get pretty expensive to inject that way since you'll typically pay well over $100 lb for CO2 from Fluval.
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Maybe there's a different kit. I thought the Fluval took disposable cartridges. It can get pretty expensive to inject that way since you'll typically pay well over $100 lb for CO2 from Fluval.
Much better off buying a larger tank and setting it up right. The prices they charge people for this tiny stuff are crazy! I pay 24 dollars per year for co2 for all of my displays. At Fluvals price my one tank of co2 would cost 2,000 dollars! This hobby is beautiful and fun if you dont let it lay waste to your savings/income. If committed to the set up Id spend the extra up front and get a real co2 system that will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ill look into reading that article about ferts. Ive never really dosed anything other than seachem ferts. This is all new to me. For a fluval Co2 kit, i was planning to use this one: https://www.bigalspets.com/fluval-mi...UaAuqaEALw_wcB on a 30g, on higher setting, like 2-3 bps.

how does the cartridge system work? do i hve to get new cartridges very often?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-02-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Start reading here regarding dosing http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...-for-test-kits

NilocG will get you the fertilizers you need.

On hiatus till later this year
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
For a fluval Co2 kit, i was planning to use this one: https://www.bigalspets.com/fluval-mi...UaAuqaEALw_wcB on a 30g, on higher setting, like 2-3 bps.
Just say no. Read the comments above.

Yes, you will need to replace cartridges when they run empty. The 22g replacement cartriges are $15 per 3.

I used the 88g model on a 12g long, about $40 / month in cartriges. There is no way to turn that sucker off at night except by closing the needle valve by hand. Sure, you can splice a solenoid in, but that's just more good money after bad.

If you really really need / want co2 (and I bet you dont, not when you are starting out), bite the bullet and do it right. And that's $250 - 400, to start.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

im not exactly "starting out". Im starting out with high tech, if thats what you mean. I can do regular Co2, or DIY.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
A 20 gram cartridge system on a 30 gallon tank will cost you a fortune in co2. You'll be replacing cartridges probably every 2 weeks. Definitely a big mistake to go that way. Personally you could have a working pressurized system for around $150 without question.
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:46 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
im not exactly "starting out". Im starting out with high tech, if thats what you mean. I can do regular Co2, or DIY.
My apologies.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Gla for dry ferts and EI dosing. For Co2 should i do DIY or spen $300 on a system?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Gla for dry ferts and EI dosing. For Co2 should i do DIY or spen $300 on a system?
You can always start off with DIY CO2 to see the improvements it will bring to your aquarium. It should also help convince you that CO2 is definitely the way to go!

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If you are going to do something do it right. Get the real deal and have a system that doesnt give you headaches/trouble. DIY co2 is not very consistent, takes more time, effort, and spending in the long run as well. As much as it is to set up a co2 system its far more expensive tinkering with place holders than to just set it up right the fiest time ime.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode