A or B? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A or B?

For a while now i have had the plans ready for a 5.5 gallon planted tank, but today when i was in petsmart i saw a 10 gallon that comes with a filter and a hood for 20$. Im not going to use the filter that it comes with because it has to much flow, but no worries because i found a nice one that will work. So would you choose a 5 gallon nano or ANOTHER! ten gallon for a pretty nice deal ( i already have one that im letting grow in if you didnt pick that up lol). Im not sure if this is a stupid question or not but has anyone on here ever tried a 10 gallon iwagumi scape?, because when/if i go with the 5.5 i want to do an iwagumi and i was wondering if it would look ok in a ten gallon.

“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.”

- Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

Iwagumi will look fine in any tank IMO, but you will need larger rocks. The 5.5 is easier to fill nicely because small rocks can really break an iwagumi set up.
Im interested to know what filter they provide you that has too much flow?
The ten gallon I bought came with an aqueon 20 but it was barely enough for a 10g.
Another thing to keep in mind is most of the 10 gallon hoods have 2 small incandescent bulbs which are practically useless so its not like you are saving money.
If you are getting a tank with a rim, the 10 might be a better choice for iwagumi cause the rim cuts off so much of the view it makes the tank look much smaller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

bigger is always better so a ten with a little larger rocks would be just as effective. If you do not like the rim the ten gallon is still small enough with a little elbow grease you could take the rim off your self.

-Jason-

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im having trouble finding the right rock, does anyone here sell them?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Banned

You can get rock "brand name" rock from aqua forest aquarium or ADG (google either of those things and you'll find the websites) ADG doesn't display rocks on the e-shop but you can call and they will help you out.
Other than that you can go out and hunt for rocks yourself, just take some Muriatic Acid (which is hydrochloric acid) or a bottle of API pH Down with you and drip it on any rocks you think you want in the fish tank. This will help to determine if the rocks are safe by if it fizzes or not. And dont take vinegar, that stuff will only fizz if it detects certain minerals in clay or dirt or a highly concentrated source of something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode