• 2 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New (to me) tank, odd sized lids needed

Hi all,
Newish member here, my first post.
I've just acquired a used 65 gallon, Aqueon-type tank and am embarking on setting it up. I've maintained a 25 gallon planted community(?) tank with simple hang-on-the-back Eheim filter for several years that seems fairly happy but now want to make a jump to something more sophisticated. I've been reading up on sumps and anoxic filtration and want to head down that path as it sounds intriguing. Need to do some carpentry first to accommodate it so actual filling is a couple weeks off for now.

Meantime, I have this tank and I need a lid, or lids for it. The tank is 36 by 17-7/8. The odd thing (to me) is the black plastic trim piece on top is divided into two halfs, as would be expected, but that divider has a raised area running its length (front to back) making two wells for lids to fit into. I'm pretty sure one continuous glass lid across the top would sit up on that and not seat properly. Those wells are exactly 16-7/8" wide. I'm also pretty sure a standard 16" lid would fall through. That make sense?

I suspect that the original kit probably had a solid canopy (the tank came with an ill-fitting flourescent fixture) but I'd like to suspend some pendulums over it for lighting and therefore need a glass top.

I'm having no luck finding lids that would fit this. So that's my question, is there a source for custom sizing glass lids? Or does this sound familiar to anyone who might know who made the tank?

Great forum kharma here! I've been on many in the 20+ years I've been on the 'net and this looks like one of those cool places to hang out. Looking forward to being a part.
Thanks!

C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had to read through some older literature for reference but it seems the Aqueon 65G tank with one center brace uses the glass canopy that has two 16-7/8" x 14-14" panels. These measurements do NOT include the plastic back strip that clips on the rear of the panel.

You can double check on Aqueon's website for the 36" x 18" Versa-Top glass canopy dimensions for a 50 / 65G tank with a center brace.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you deeda,
I saw that too and was put off by the 18" dimension. That definitely won't work.
I'll shoot them an email asking about it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

That would probably be your best bet to contact them. Most aquariums are measured in nominal dimensions though the tanks can be smaller or larger than those measurements. The same applies to the glass canopy.

Measure the opening size of both openings in both side to side and front to back before you call them. Do remember that the glass size will be shorter front to back as they don't include the dimensions of the plastic back strip

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

I get the impression this is more of a fish room thing (vs a main display tank) but I see vids of people using greenhouse siding. Again probably more to save money with many tanks.

For my little shrimp tank there are lids that fit but I can't bring myself to pay more than I paid for the tank for one I ended up changing it out for a bigger tank right away (dwarf shrimp, but petco had their sale, and....) Anyway, I went up to lowes and they can cut glass panes to size. He was ready to just do it on some scrap he had for me but I didn't have the measurements handy. So that's a possibility, it wouldn't be a hinged lid of course. Same would apply to plexiglass.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

A fairly easy DIY option:

hygropunk and hygropunk like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks again, mostly for the inspiration. This is definitely a low budget project but aesthetics are critical.
DIY is the way to go.

Just to close this, I did receive a reply from Aqueon.
The glass top UPC #015905290517 is the right one for my tank and the individual panes measure 16 7/8" wide. Apparently I have an older "AGA/Aqueon" model with a center brace. The newer "Perfecto" models use a single pane.

Thanks again!
C.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-04-2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Glad to hear you got a response on the correct glass top.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode