3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeff5614
  • 2 Post By block134
  • 2 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pardon my dumb question but here it goes...

I'm at the beginning stages of planning a 33G Long planted aquarium. Currently, Im researching Co2 Diffusers and I think I've settled on getting one of the GLA ones from their website. Aquarium CO2 Diffuser | Atomic - Cal Aqua Labs - Pollen - Nano

However, I wanted to get the inline one but are inline diffusers only for Canister Filters? Or can I use them with HoB filters as well ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
They're designed to be connected inline with the canister's tubing.
archangelvk and archangelvk like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

Canister filters or something that has a return line like a canister so you can put the diffuser inline with the return.

Just starting out
55 Gallon community tank
20 Gallon community tank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What an unbelievably dumb question. Why would you even ask that? :P

Just kidding. Inline diffusers are for canister use. If you're using an HoB, you'll want something like what you linked, but I'd go cheaper and buy several off Amazon - something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pm0606-Diffus...s=co2+diffuser

They're hit and miss, some better than others, but the ceramic discs need frequent bleach baths to keep them functioning well so it's good to have at least 2 so you can swap them out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
What an unbelievably dumb question. Why would you even ask that? :P

Just kidding. Inline diffusers are for canister use. If you're using an HoB, you'll want something like what you linked, but I'd go cheaper and buy several off Amazon - something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pm0606-Diffus...s=co2+diffuser

They're hit and miss, some better than others, but the ceramic discs need frequent bleach baths to keep them functioning well so it's good to have at least 2 so you can swap them out.
haha =P
So what im seeing is a diffuser is basically just like any other airstone that Id use for an airpump except this time its pumping out CO2? Cuz the link you provided (thanks by the way) seems to be just that? Is the GLA one over priced? or does it actually do a better job/ last longer? Maybe I get 1 amazon one and one GLA, if the GLA one is that good?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelvk View Post
haha =P
So what im seeing is a diffuser is basically just like any other airstone that Id use for an airpump except this time its pumping out CO2? Cuz the link you provided (thanks by the way) seems to be just that? Is the GLA one over priced? or does it actually do a better job/ last longer? Maybe I get 1 amazon one and one GLA, if the GLA one is that good?
The GLA one may perform a little bit better, not enough to warrant the price though in my opinion. When I used these types, I would buy the dirt cheap Rhinox diffusers. If I got a bad one, it would be my swapped in diffuser while my good one soaked in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for a couple hours. And truly, if you just wait until CO2 off hours, you could get away with one. 2 hour bleach soak should be plenty, then hook an air pump up to it, put it in some water with Prime, let it run for a few minutes and you're good to go.
These are different from an airstone - the pressure required to force the CO2 through the ceramic disc is much greater than a standard air stone and the ceramic disc has much smaller pores, resulting in much smaller bubbles.

Last edited by mgeorges; 03-30-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode