Pearling Without CO2! - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Pearling Without CO2!

I'm extremely excited to have not only seen pearling for the first time in person but also have achieved it without CO2! I am however using daily Excel doses, with very bright lighting. This photo is about a month old, I need to take a new one because it is fully carpeted now...spreading like wildfire with a consistent nitrate level of about 10-15ppm. I had invested in a 5lb aluminum tank with the electric valve, and the glass hardware but never got around to installing it. The light runs for 4 hours in the morning, then 6 in the evening/night...I dose the Excel as close to the beginning of the second lighting (6 hour) cycle as I can. I am sure it is nothing compared to CO2 injection, I can see the bubbles rapidly rising from different areas consistently but I can not see any bubbles on the plants themselves yet. I am almost certain they are not substrate gas bubbles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your carpet is filling in nicely!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
What light is that?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The lighting consists of 3 LED bulbs off eBay (have no idea) and a $20 goose neck light from Walmart.

-
-
-
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good choice on the repurposed lamp. I often see so many of them being given away on Craigslist and have often thought they would make an excellent way to place lights on smallish tank where we might have trouble mounting at different places.
I don't recognize the lamp bulb holders. Did you mod them or remove the glass canopy from the original light? I'm sure there may be several folks who would like the method.
Teebo and Teebo like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
...I can see the bubbles rapidly rising from different areas consistently but I can not see any bubbles on the plants themselves yet. I am almost certain they are not substrate gas bubbles.
Looks nice, not to be a party pooper, but if you don't see bubbles on the plants I'm not sure how it can be pearling. Not impossible through I've seen plants pearl without co2 under good light and good substrate.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Updated photo, in need for yet another trimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Good choice on the repurposed lamp. I often see so many of them being given away on Craigslist and have often thought they would make an excellent way to place lights on smallish tank where we might have trouble mounting at different places.
I don't recognize the lamp bulb holders. Did you mod them or remove the glass canopy from the original light? I'm sure there may be several folks who would like the method.
Thanks, I actually ran out and bought it new for $20 because I needed a temporary solution. The plan is I have a telescoping pole from a drum set symbol I removed from the tripod base, I have hardware to mount it to the back of my steel stand I just have to drill the holes and make something for sockets on the top. I am not a fan of the goose neck as this was extremely hard to get 3 bulbs level and all pointing at the same angle equally spaced apart. I never put the shades on this lamp when I bought it, well I did to see what it would look like but I did not like it because they draw your eye away from the tank. As long as your looking at it from a higher height than the bulbs all you see is the shadowed back of the bulb keeping the space above the tank generally dark, but the shades stuck out into the casting light as it spreads making the entire shades glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Looks nice, not to be a party pooper, but if you don't see bubbles on the plants I'm not sure how it can be pearling. Not impossible through I've seen plants pearl without co2 under good light and good substrate.
Yeah I thought about this after posting, and I totally understand your point. Pearling are the bubbles visually on the plants, not necessarily the process of the bubbles rising. I am not able to see deep enough into the plants to see exactly where the bubbles keep coming from (consistently in different spots) so it may be pearling I just cant see where. Also the bubbles are extremely small, so even if I could see the leaf or grass strand they are rising off I think it would be hard to see the bubble itself on the plant... they are the size of a pin head.
rj55021 and rj55021 like this.

-
-
-

Last edited by Teebo; 03-31-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: .
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:32 AM
X45
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks, I actually ran out and bought it new for $20 because I needed a temporary solution. The plan is I have a telescoping pole from a drum set symbol I removed from the tripod base, I have hardware to mount it to the back of my steel stand I just have to drill the holes and make something for sockets on the top. I am not a fan of the goose neck as this was extremely hard to get 3 bulbs level and all pointing at the same angle equally spaced apart. I never put the shades on this lamp when I bought it, well I did to see what it would look like but I did not like it because they draw your eye away from the tank. As long as your looking at it from a higher height than the bulbs all you see is the shadowed back of the bulb keeping the space above the tank generally dark, but the shades stuck out into the casting light as it spreads making the entire shades glow.

Yeah I thought about this after posting, and I totally understand your point. Pearling are the bubbles visually on the plants, not necessarily the process of the bubbles rising. I am not able to see deep enough into the plants to see exactly where the bubbles keep coming from (consistently in different spots) so it may be pearling I just cant see where. Also the bubbles are extremely small, so even if I could see the leaf or grass strand they are rising off I think it would be hard to see the bubble itself on the plant... they are the size of a pin head.

Updated photo, in need for yet another trimming.

I get lots of bubbles in my tanks. No co2. I run high light. EL, excel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

90G in progress.< these guys will be moving into a 130G
225G build in the works.
Nono Cube 8Gallon.
20G
"Twin" 30 longs running in series.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

That's a nice setup! It would be algea garden for me. I never had any luck with high light and no pressurized Co2. How long has this been set up?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 AM
Algae Grower

Pearling is possible even without CO2 injection. The plants in the tubs which I placed outside pearl like crazy when in direct sunlight.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsin21 View Post
Pearling is possible even without CO2 injection. The plants in the tubs which I placed outside pearl like crazy when in direct sunlight.
Yes, I don't disagree, but we aren't talking about sunlight here, we're talking about a gooseneck light from Walmart.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
That's a nice setup! It would be algea garden for me. I never had any luck with high light and no pressurized Co2. How long has this been set up?
Thanks, about 3 months old.

Quote:
Yes, I don't disagree, but we aren't talking about sunlight here, we're talking about a gooseneck light from Walmart.
Its really about the light itself, not the stand. Those bulbs were all bought separate from the stand.

-
-
-
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its really about the light itself, not the stand. Those bulbs were all bought separate from the stand.
I know, it was really tongue in cheek. Point I'm making is the sun is a LITTLE stronger.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
I know, it was really tongue in cheek. Point I'm making is the sun is a LITTLE stronger.
You've caught me!

Kidding aside though, I'm kinda on the side that good lighting plus other factors (species, health, nutrients) can cause pearling just lately. Specially on rapidly growing plants. I've witnessed this other instance when I ran out of CO2 for about a week and I was dosing excel. My carpet of glossos were full on pearling mode but all other plants were not. Before I was a firm believer of the oxygen saturation=pearling side but after more research and experience, I'm not discounting one over the other but now I believe that it can happen depending on the circumstances.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsin21 View Post
...My carpet of glossos were full on pearling mode but all other plants were not. Before I was a firm believer of the oxygen saturation=pearling side but after more research and experience, I'm not discounting one over the other but now I believe that it can happen depending on the circumstances.
I do not subscribe to the oxygen saturation theory. That is not true pearling to me, because it simply means the entire water column is too saturated, which would usually require a tank full of plants and would make pearling impossible in thinly planted one (unless saturated by artificial means)

It's really based on how fast a particular plant is photosynthesising. It's producing o2 at such a fast pace it can't be absorbed, which of course is usually when co2 is provided, but I do agree it can happen without it under certain situations.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode