water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
water changes

Hello folks.As i have quite a lot of fish in my 25 gallon tank could i do 50% water changes 3 times a week whilst doing the EI fert dosing.At the moment i add my ferts first thing in the morning before i go to work but i i could not do the water changes till the evening would this effect the plants.

regards mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
you COULD do 3 50% water changes weekly, but I do not think it is necessary. you should be fine with one. some fish get really stressed out after large water changes, so that is the only problem I can see with doing 3x weekly

Eheim Pimp #447
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Actually fish enjoy water changes. It is one of the tricks used to get them to spawn.

I don't see any reason you can't change your water 3 times a week. Add your ferts after the water change not before. It doesn't matter when you dose the tank as long as nutrients are available for the plants.

How overstocked is your tank? Unless your bioload is really heavy and filtration weak you probably don't need to change water 3 times a week.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fish get stressed out by large water changes when they happen once every other month. If you change 50% of your water at short intervals, your fish are used to an environment that is more or less dechlorinated tap water. The longer between water changes, the more the tank conditions drift away from the source.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
so are you saying large water changes are better say 50% weekly on a heavly stocked tank with cardinal tetras? coz at the moment iam doing a 25% water change weekly
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I rely more on biological filtration than water changes for overstock conditions.

For example, let's say I have three inches of fish per gallon in a 10g, which is 3x the normal guideline. First, I provide filtration suitable for 20g instead of 10g, and sometimes even more. Then I also pack the tank with fast growing plants, and provide them what they need to grow rapidly.

Together, the filters and plants will very effectively clean the water between 50% weekly water changes.

I only do more than one water change per week if there's a known issue, for example:

* A filter has failed.
* I've done a rescape and stirred up a lot of detritus.
* Something has happened to the plants and they're no longer in peak health.
* A fish has died and I didn't notice in time, or was unable to locate the corpse.
* The water is cloudy, indicating a bacterial bloom from poor conditions.
* A water test indicates any ammonia or nitrite.
* I've feeding a type or quantity of food that fouls the water (common when I'm raising fry).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode