ADA in the USA!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
ADA in the USA!!

Hope this is proper. Normally, I would make such a post, but this is quite important and unique in the hobby. Mods, delete or move if not appropriate.

For those who haven't been following, ADA is now being offered here in the US! Some stuff is a wee bit spendy, while other stuff is quite reasonably.

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/i...r&wrap=ShopADG

The substrate system looks particularly interesting! I ran a few numbers and got this:

Eco complete=5.9L/20lb bag
Flourite=7.27L/7kg bag.

Compare this to the ADA substrates (my biggest want) at $22/9L and it looks mighty tempting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Look at the filters... gezz 600 bucks. I wonder if they'd beat eheims, i bet they do
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/i...r&wrap=ShopADG
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Gomer - Thanks for posting this! Some of this stuff is hot, hot, hot! Working up an order now...

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Planted Member

maybe orange county locals can put together a group order, I really want to get some aquasoil
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Might be worth it if we get a handfull of people together. Shipping is always a killer on substrate, but you never know with numbers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are those items really worth the price differential as far as quality is concerned, or are you just buying the name? Hang on while I put on my flame retardent suit .

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Their C02 equipment and other equipment is MORE than a little pricey...its ridiculous! Aquasoil and fertilizers, substrates could be interesting, but how is it packaged...grams, liters or something?? Pardon my ignorance, but how does that compare in quantity/ price with Ecco complete or Flourite? Are you getting half as much for the same price or what? How many liters equal a pound? Their price on 18 liters of power sand is $100 Isn't that less than 20 pounds?

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Rough guess is there are about 6.5 liters in a bag of Flourite. So it appears that the Power Sand is about 2-3X more expensive than Flourite. The Aqua Soil is just about the same and the decorative sand is cheaper but the shipping is going to kill you. And when you consider that you are really supposed to use all three products..........
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
I would use the Amazonia substrate with some diamond black underneath.
http://aquascapingjournals.com/image...amondblack.JPG
A lot of their bacteria products and starter products are like the ones we have in the US, I don't think anyone uses them.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Eco complete=5.9L/20lb bag
Flourite=7.27L/7kg bag.

power sand is to be used sorta like laterite..as a first layer. Not much is needed.

post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Planted Member

I don't understand how aquasoil is 3x the price of other substrates...after shipping maybe 1 9L bag will be about 30 dollars. If you get a bag of florabase on dr foster's and smith for 20 dollars, it will also cost about $30 after shipping. For some people that get bargains on flourite and such it will be more expensive.

Even if you are just using aquasoil alone I think it will be better then some (can't say most until I use it) substrates available in the US, and it can be re-used many times also if done properly. I paid 23 dollars for a bag of florabase and it is crap...it has started to decay on me and turn to mush. Nobody needs a 18L bag of powersand, that is probably enough for a 200 gallon aquarium. For a 20-30 gallon tank you only need 2L and you can probably make your own with some peat, substrate ferts. and pumice. You don't have to use sand, power sand, and aquasoil. The sand in the front is purely decorative if you want a sand foreground, if I was going to grow plants in the foreground there is no point to use sand there. I have seen people that have success with just aquasoil as their entire substrate. Shipping will be expensive, but I don't think it will be that bad UPS ground.

Some of the other products are really expensive and you are paying for quality, and then there are other products that would just be a waste of money to buy, and then there are other products where the whole purpose is just for them to look pretty like the co2 check valve. There is always automatically so much hate, I think some people may be pleasantly surprised by some of their products.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:23 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
What does the Diamond Black do?

...and yes I used the search function Rex.

Last edited by Ahkuma; 12-19-2004 at 12:13 AM.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Diamond Black is like peat, but in a more stable form and it's harder.

Powersand is simply peat, pumice, carbon, "bacteria" and some trace. It is made to house bacteria which keep iron at a reduced state and they recycle nutrients such NO3. It will also be a good idea to add some zeolite or Terralit, it has the ability to bind NO3 for plant uptake.

Aquasoil, I heard it doesnt have any nutrients..it it simply for the pH affect and to hold the plants in place.

Sand is only for the decorative effect. But there sand looks amazingly natural, I'm tempted.

Their diffusers look extremly good, but they're pricey.
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking at products and prices, it all seems more than a bit esoteric for me I guess.

There are more than enough options for me to the ADA products from companies that have been active in their support of the hobby in the US for a very long time.

I mean it would be nice to have a Hummer I'm sure, but my Amigo has never let me down yet.

Well there was that time out on a sand bar but my wife was driving .....

opening soon
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 09:07 PM

What I'd like to eventually see is products with a similar look (for the intake/output, and co2 equipment) but made from a hard plastic like acrylic or some such, as opposed to the glass. Glass is nice, but glass is easily broken, and plastic would have longer durability, and probably lower prices.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode