What would you do? "new" 40b - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What should I do with my tank?
Go with Angels and whatever else you love. 5 41.67%
Try the african cichlids. You will love them! 6 50.00%
Just get platties and sword tails, they like hard water. 0 0%
other - please explain 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
What would you do? "new" 40b

Hi all! I just picked up a used 40 gallon breeder and am trying to decide what to do with it. The only things that are for sure is that it will be low tech, 60 watts T8, and no co2, and my 8inch raphael catfish will make himself at home there. It will have plants. I also am going to use straight tap water, which is very hard with a high ph. (I cut the water for my 55 with ro water, and buy the r/o water, so really don't want to carry more.)
For now the filtration will be a hob hot magnum filter, and I might add the cheap hob filter that came with the tank.

I keep thinking about finding african cichlids that will not destroy hardy plants, but I just don't like the look of africans as much as I do angels, ect. I have never had africans, so maybe I am missing out on something?

My poll is asking wh!at you think I should do, but I would love to hear what you would do too. Maybe I have not thought of something.

Thanks,
Laura

Edited:

Catfish will not be in this tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SleepyOwl; 01-13-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Wood and java ferns. Crypt bottom and angels.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm having a serious jones for rams or badis badis lately . . .

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
A cichlid riparium.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Wood and java ferns. Crypt bottom and angels.
I know the java ferns and crypts don't mind my water, so that would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
I'm having a serious jones for rams or badis badis lately . . .
Me too actually, but the badis would end up a very expensive snack for my Raphael catfish. I thought about adding rams to my 55, but I already have a pair of kribs in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
A cichlid riparium.
Are you thinking shellies?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I forgot about rainbows. I could get some bigger rainbows that my raphael wouldn't eat. I've never had them before either.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Currently im trying to set up my sword/crypt/java fern angel tank. I have hard water so the plants do well in my water but the angels we're bred locally so they are also thriving in my water. that's what my votes for. ( idk if there's a poll in this thread or not but I can't see it in tapatalk so just add one to whatever the tally is. )

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My personal choice would be none of the above in the poll. I shall explain.

IMO, angles are going to get big, and they are very territorial, and adults can get nasty. They are a cichlid after all. Unless you plan on starting with maybe 8 small ones, with the goal of ending up with a single mated pair, I'd avoid them.

African cichlids are very colorful fish, and do have a lot of personality. Like angles, they get big, territorial and nasty. They also like to dig. This makes the tough on any plants you might want. If you want Africans, use a lot of rocks and really tough plants.

Platties and swords would be a good choice, if you could find some decent stock. IMO most of the livebearers seen to day are of very low quality, and not something I'd care to own. However, if you can find good ones, this would be possible.

I do like the idea of rainbows. This is a group of fish that is large enough so you raphael cat will not bother them, and are highly colorful.

My own personal choice would be to get rid of the raphael cat, and stock a planted tank with tetras.

All that being said, it's your tank, and you got to choose what works best for you.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would totally make a vote for the shellies. That would be an awesome tank for them!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I actually would prefer not to have the Raphael, and just keep some smaller fish, like tetras. The thing is, we got hime before we were married, and the guy is like 11-12 years old. He is also the only fish I have that my hubby really likes. He wouldn't be sad or anything if I got rid of him, but I am planning on keeping the old guy until he dies. Which might be forever, as he is tough as nails. I got him before I knew anything about fish, so has been in every sort of nasty water. Even survived a time when I was feeding him algae wafers (because that is what the books said to feed catfish. :P) He has moved several times, including 1000 mile move and back. He also has lived most of that time in a 20 gallon tank, and he deserves a bit more room to stretch.

I think he might eat the shellies. Or at least all their babies.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I think in a 40b you will be unhappy with the height for use with angels. They really do get pretty big...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
How about a big shrimp only tank? 500 CRS could probably live comfortably in a 40B.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Catfish died. I think I jinxed him by buying a new tank. *sigh*

Any new ideas with the change?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you already have a planted tank I'd gof or a cichlid tank.

I personally get bored with 2 of the same tank at the same time. And it's always amazing how much each individual cichlid can take on a personality of it's own. You can get to know your fish.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sorry to hear about your catfish. I too just bought a 40 gal breeder tank and can't decide what to do with it! I know I wanted it planted, but I cannot decide on the fish. Maybe some celestial pearl danios?

Patti

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode