1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this normal ?

Hi,

I am into my first aquascaping tank. Its been running for a few months now. I initially had only dwarf hairgrass, in the last month I have added other plants to the aquarium. The last was adding some plants to the driftwood, just before I did this, I had trimmed the hairgrass, its been a week now. I can see spots of the hairgrass dying. I started them using dry start, all was fine until now. Two days ago I saw some really small, I am guessing snails, they were really tiny. I saw like three of them in total, not sure what it is. They seems to have got into my aquarium after the Anubias Mini were added to the driftwood. I have attached some pics of the Hargrass melting.

Is this normal after a trimming? Or is it the snails(the ones I saw were tiny black things) or something else causing this?

I use the same amount of lighting and CO2 since I started nothing has changed in the environment except adding more plants.

Regards,
B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1766.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	840209  

Name:	IMG-1762.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	840217  

Name:	IMG-1767.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	840225  

Name:	IMG-1763.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	840233  

Thanks,
Regards,
B

The Planted Newbie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

Hello
I don’t know if it’s from the trimming or not but most snails fonts eat the healthy plants. There are some that do like pond snails. Anyway you could get a pic of the snails?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I would guess the hairgrass is melting because of insufficient CO2. Your concentration of available CO2 will change as your plant biomass increases. Sounds like before you only had DHG but now you have DHG + new plants? When you dry-start plants, they are adapted to the high concentration of CO2 in our ambient air. During the initial stages of your tank, you were probably supplying enough CO2 for them, but as you introduced the new plants the available CO2 to them probably decreased--leading to the melting of the more susceptible patches.

This is all just my hypothesis though. It could very well be another reason like poor water quality, lack of nutrients, etc.

Also, I have to disagree with the comment that snails eat plants. Maybe terrestrial snails, but I don't think that's the case for our common aquatic snails. They will eat algae, left over food, and decaying plant matter (e.g. leaves or parts of leaves that are dying off).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have added some Seachem Flourish, the only liquid nutrient I have ever used. Also increased the CO2 to like 3 BPS. Earlier It was like 1. I hope the growth picks up again.

So the snails maybe harmless, I am unable to get a pic of them, not able to get them focused on my camera, they are really small, today I saw two of them. How do I get rid of them?

Anything else I can do to help my DHG back, or will they pickup by themself?

Thanks,
Regards,
B

The Planted Newbie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Planted Member

Snails can be very hard to get rid of. I have Ramshorn Snails that multiply like crazy but it works for me because I can feed them to my puffer fish in another tank. You can buy a loach to eat them, an assassin snail, or pick them out. You could also make a snail trap for them. Personally I would pick them out and make a trap as well. If you introduce another species to eat them then you will have another unwanted species when the other snails are gone. I suppose you could also add some copper into the tank to kill the snails as long as you have nothing else in the tank that it will affect
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
My favorite approach regarding snails is to introduce beneficial or at least more visually appealing snails like Mayalsian Trumpet Snails for the former and Gold ramshorn snails for the latter. Then I just pick out whatever unwanted pond snails I see and keep their population in check.

For the DHG, just up the CO2 and try to keep the tank stable (constant temp, frequent water changes, regular dosing, etc.). If that doesn't work then tinker with a few settings like increasing the intensity of the light, slightly repositioning the light, etc. Dry start DHG will often melt though to make way for submersed growth. The trick will be to make it through that transition phase where most of the emersed DHG is dead or dying, because the decaying plant matter is an all you can eat buffet for algae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonea View Post
I have added some Seachem Flourish, the only liquid nutrient I have ever used. Also increased the CO2 to like 3 BPS. Earlier It was like 1. I hope the growth picks up again.

So the snails maybe harmless, I am unable to get a pic of them, not able to get them focused on my camera, they are really small, today I saw two of them. How do I get rid of them?

Anything else I can do to help my DHG back, or will they pickup by themself?
Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:52 AM
Banned

Odd.. are all the dying patches close to the new plants?

could be the new plants have disrupted the circulation of CO2..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
What is your substrate and what are you dosing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you don't want to add chemicals to kill the snails, I have always preferred to buy an assassin snail to clear out all the pest snails, then I will add in "good" snails that won't harm my plants. I like Malaysian Trumpet Snails for soil aeration (these breed like CRAZY though - you can buy related species that don't reproduce as fast such as the various rabbit snails). I also like Nerites for maintenance of algae (these do not reproduce in freshwater). Ramshorns are cute too (and can be a good "canary in the coal mine" species because they will try to escape upwards if water parameters take a turn for the worst), but they also reproduce fast.

Edit to clarify: the assassin snail needs to be removed before the "good" species are added to the tank, because the assassin snail will indiscriminately devour all other snail species.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
May depend a little on your substrate, but sounds like to me you are in need of adding some macros ferts. Flourish does not supply adequate amounts of N, P, and K.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It's nice of everyone to take guesses as to what's wrong but that's all you're going to get unless you post some info.
Without knowing at least your basic water parameters, lighting, amount of CO2 (bubble count doesn't tell you, it doesn't even give you a clue without knowing the tank size), substrate and what you're feeding to the plants, you're not going to get much meaningful advice.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode