IS there such a thing as to much light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question IS there such a thing as to much light

Question #1) I am pulling my 14G BioCube out of storage to make it into a planted tank and I added up the lighting and I have almost 6 watts per gallon. Is this to much light or will I be ok?

Question #2) With that much lighting will I be restricted to growing high-light plants or will I be ok with some low-light and low-med light plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Noah Z from Central Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fresh Start and trying to do it right

Lots of frogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
wpg is not a very accurate gauge for light anymore. What type of light is it?

There is definitely a thing as too much light and algae will be the main consequence of that excess light.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Three 24 Watt Daylight 10K Lamp (T5 lighting I beleive)

Lots of frogs

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti82 View Post
Three 24 Watt Daylight 10K Lamp (T5 lighting I beleive)
NO or HO?

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

not entirely sure....Right now it has the following,

two of:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...Daylight%2010K

and one of:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...ontent=OA54332

Lots of frogs
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Yes. There is such a thing as too much light. This is it.

This is more like 5wpg, but wpg should be abandoned. ON a 14g tank, this much light is begging for a TON of algae.

MEDIUM light is better than high, almost always. Super high light makes it so that you have no buffer space in where to keep co2 and fert levels.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so should I even attempt the CO2 setup on this setup? Or should I just remove a light?, and If I decide to keep the lighting the same and add the co2 at a bub to 2 bubs a second then what precations or critters can I purchase that will keep them in check?

Lots of frogs
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would just remove a light.

With such high lighting, as over_stocked mentioned, you will have to keep fertilizers and CO2 pushed right up to the maximum.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Can you disconnect one or 2

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Or lift the fixture up above the tank.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
You can have so much light that it makes it impossible to keep CO2 levels high enough without killing your livestock. If there is no livestock in the tank you could conceivably use tons of light and CO2 but what is the point unless you like trimming and cleaning the tank constantly.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ill bet the light would be ok. Pressurized CO2 would be a must though. Probably should have a short photo period as well.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
With pressurized co2, ferts, high light loving plants, and indestructible fauna, IME it's almost impossible to provide too much light. The lighting chart sticky on this website is not applicable IMO; check out the aga competition tanks, most have massive amounts of light, zero algae and the healthiest looking plants I've seen. And I also doubt they raise them 20" above the top of the tank.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

The only advantage that I found with very strong light (I have used direct sunlight too); is the colouration of certain plants and the shrubby shape in some.

The requirement of nutrients, CO2 and trimming becomes tedious. Algae does not become an issue but the constant work to keep your tank from becoming a jungle does.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
With pressurized co2, ferts, high light loving plants, and indestructible fauna, IME it's almost impossible to provide too much light. The lighting chart sticky on this website is not applicable IMO; check out the aga competition tanks, most have massive amounts of light, zero algae and the healthiest looking plants I've seen. And I also doubt they raise them 20" above the top of the tank.
I STRONGLY disagree with this statement. Light is a driving factor that when TOO high means your co2 has to be poisonously high, ferts have to be very high, and algae is almost impossible to keep at bay.

The Tanks you see in the AGA competition are rarely set up long term, are very finely tuned, and do not run all of the light you see all the time. ALmost all of the tanks you see have suspended fixtures.

There is NO good reason to have super high light when you can achieve better results with medium to medium-high light.

Tags
14g biocube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode