steel vs aluminium Co2 tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
steel vs aluminium Co2 tank?

Hey guys I did a quick search but did not find much...

so any pros and cons of steel vs aluminum tanks I should know of? shopping around for a 10# tank.
found a OK price on the recert. steel tanks...so before I decided I though I would ask the community.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

Only things I can think is the weight and possible rust with the steel tanks.

Just starting out
55 Gallon community tank
20 Gallon community tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Banned

Aluminum is much more resistant to CO2 than steel, at least if water is present..
"Dry" CO2 isn't as corrosive to steel.

Actual criticality is disputed..
Few fire extinguishers are aluminum.. for what that is worth..

Al def. is lighter...

Stuff from a supplier of Al cylinders..
Aluminium Cylinders V/S Steel Cylinders - Alcan Cylinder

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...9684461400415X

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-23-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think it matters much, IME. I never had rust cause any issue with my reg/solenoid in 10 years time. I have swapped a lot of tanks too. I get steel tanks swapped out quickly instead of waiting for someone to refill a tank. Prices may reflect the labor of getting it filled too. It also depends on your local beer/welding shops as to how much this will be. My welding supply shop will only swap out 5# and 20# tanks of CO2, so that's something you might want to consider as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you're stuck having to "display" your tank (wont fit in the stand; cant hide anywhere else) then the aluminum are usually prettier to look at.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was told by the welding supply shop that steel is being phased out in favor of aluminum. No idea how true that is but weight is really the only difference that I know of. Just ask for the last hydro test date so you'll know if you need to get one done. Costs extra at some places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so It looks like I can exchange tank at a welding shop or fill my own at a gas place. the welding shop was rushing to lunch so he would not tell me prices just to come in...I am not sure how the exchange works if you dont have one to exchange? guessing they will have you buy/rent one of theirs?

how does that work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
so It looks like I can exchange tank at a welding shop or fill my own at a gas place. the welding shop was rushing to lunch so he would not tell me prices just to come in...I am not sure how the exchange works if you dont have one to exchange? guessing they will have you buy/rent one of theirs?

how does that work.

You just purchase one from them and swap it for another pre-filled tank when that one is empty. Just like purchasing a propane tank for your grill.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I live near Austin, Tx so there are lots of wanna-be bands that start and then fail so there is almost always somebody selling off the CO2 tanks they have tried to use for the "smoke" so that leaves a lot of used tanks of all sorts showing up on the local ads. So I just buy up the cheapest used and do the swap at the local welding gas shop. They do not care whether it is steel or AL as long as it is in decent shape.
Two ways to look at which is better, perhaps. The aluminum can look nicer if that counts big but for lots of folks the tank is just another tool and how it lasts is more important. Where the tank just sets somewhere and pushes gas, the material matters very little but if you are doing rough work and dragging a tank around, steel is much more durable. Lots of tanks get thrown in the back of a truck or dropped off a roof so steel fits them better!
For our use, either is good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode