Risky Move? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Risky Move?

I just received some buce from online and I noticed the rock wool holding it has some Cyanobacteria on it. The actual leaves have none but I don't know whether to risk having BGA in my tank by letting a small amount get through. What would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tough call there. You could do an H2O2 dip, that SHOULD kill it. And if it's a hardy plant(I don't know anything about buces), you could do a bleach dip. The problem is, all it takes is 1 cell surviving and it can come back.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Tough call there. You could do an H2O2 dip, that SHOULD kill it. And if it's a hardy plant(I don't know anything about buces), you could do a bleach dip. The problem is, all it takes is 1 cell surviving and it can come back.

Maybe I should ask for a refund and try to get some from the LFS. I don't want another BGA outbreak as the last one destroyed everything lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
What would you do?
If I liked the buce I'd just toss the rock wool and rinse off the plant. If I didn't really care for the plant they sent me, I'd use the BGA as a reason to return it.
I may even let it sit in a bucket with erythromycin for a day, but nah, realistically I would prob just rinse and roll if I liked the plant... I live on the edge like that, haha!

But, it's all about risk vs reward, so without very light, nitrate, phosphate, or organic waste levels I see the risk of spreading as being somewhat low (for me, my tank). Reward depends on how much you like the plant, then compare that to the risk of your tank parameters and that may help you decide. Don't be afraid to bust out pen and paper for an old fashion pro/con list too
mgeorges and mgeorges like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
But, it's all about risk vs reward, so without very light, nitrate, phosphate, or organic waste levels I see the risk of spreading as being somewhat low (for me, my tank). Reward depends on how much you like the plant, then compare that to the risk of your tank parameters and that may help you decide. Don't be afraid to bust out pen and paper for an old fashion pro/con list too
Do you know if a bleach dip would be fully effective without killing the buce? I don't want to risk a BGA outbreak as I had major one in my super newbie days which was pretty devastating.

It's a kinda rare Buce (mini needle leaf) which is usually out of stock on the site. My LFS can get it but they say it is uncommon to get it on the stock list.

Last edited by oscarlloydjohn; 03-22-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add info
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, if you're dealing with a healthy established tank, you may be fine even if it is introduced. I have a 10 gallon that's been up and running for a few months and it gave me my very first introduction to BGA. I made some quick parameter changes and actually left the BGA alone. It stopped growing and I left it there for a couple weeks, it never spread. So yesterday, I finally got tired of looking at this little quarter sized patch of it on the sand and took some co2 tubing and sucked it out.

I like Jim's idea of throwing it in a bucket with antibiotics. Not a bad idea at all, easy on the plant. I would do an H2O2 dip at the very least if you don't have easy access to antibiotics. Like Jim said, all about risk v reward.

Bump:
Quote:
Do you know if a bleach dip would be fully effective without killing the buce? I don't want to risk a BGA outbreak as I had major one in my super newbie days which was pretty devastating.

It's a kinda rare Buce (mini needle leaf) which is usually out of stock on the site. My LFS can get it but they say it is uncommon to get it on the stock list.
I think bleach might not be necessary, H2O2 would be plenty effective. Remember, you can destroy the leaves with a dip and as long as the rhizome stays intact, it'll grow back.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:

I don't know how it would handle the bleach. I have some Super Mini Catherinea and Micrantha which both have tiny needle leaves and they seem to be a more "finicky" buce. -ie dropping leaves when acclimating to new water

Since BGA is more a cyanobacteria than an algae, I lean to erythro over algaecides. The downside of erythro is potentially killing off your beneficial bacteria if you over do it. Soaking it in a bucket removes that risk at least. If it were me, I'd just rinse under the tap and roll, but I can see where you'd be nervous having had a BGA catastrophe in the past. Sounds like a good excuse to set up a QT! (quarantine tank) Then you'd have a buffer before things go in your display tank, (and another tank to play with! win win)

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I may even let it sit in a bucket with erythromycin for a day, but nah, realistically I would prob just rinse and roll if I liked the plant... I live on the edge like that, haha!
Yeah, I'd be comfortable with that. Last time I got a full-on, total-invasion, protect the women and children BGA infection, two courses of erythromycin knocked it out without any further issues...a "small amount" on the wool and a stand-alone treatment would most likely be even more effective.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also tend to live on the edge with algae but I also look at it being coming more than just introduced by what I move in. I feel lots of it are just blowing in the wind and will find the tank. But what happens at that point is where I deal with it. I have a tank which is often set in bright light in the window and that tank often gets plants, fish, stuff moved in from other tanks. But when the "stuff" from other tanks moves to the bright sunny tank, things often explode and algae is one of them. I think of it more like the cold or flu, in that it is always there, just how the tank is suiting for it to take hold. Fight it quick and early and in the right way and it goes away but let it get a good start by treating in the wrong way and it will fight you to the death!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Since BGA is more a cyanobacteria than an algae, I lean to erythro over algaecides. The downside of erythro is potentially killing off your beneficial bacteria if you over do it. Soaking it in a bucket removes that risk at least. If it were me, I'd just rinse under the tap and roll, but I can see where you'd be nervous having had a BGA catastrophe in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidbrewer View Post
Two courses of erythromycin knocked it out without any further issues...a "small amount" on the wool and a stand-alone treatment would most likely be even more effective.
It sucks how we can't access Erythromycin or any other common antibiotic off the shelf in the UK. The only algaecide I have on hand is Easy Life Blue Exit - also I have some 3% H2O2 which I used on the last outbreak. That didn't do anything to the BGA in the tank then but I guess the higher concentration would work.

Quote:
Sounds like a good excuse to set up a QT! (quarantine tank) Then you'd have a buffer before things go in your display tank, (and another tank to play with! win win)
I have all equipment for a QT apart from another planted tank light - Maybe with Buce being a well known "very low light" plant I could use non direct window light, a lightbulb or maybe the spillover light from the display. What would work best?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I also tend to live on the edge with algae but I also look at it being coming more than just introduced by what I move in. I feel lots of it are just blowing in the wind and will find the tank. But what happens at that point is where I deal with it. I have a tank which is often set in bright light in the window and that tank often gets plants, fish, stuff moved in from other tanks. But when the "stuff" from other tanks moves to the bright sunny tank, things often explode and algae is one of them. I think of it more like the cold or flu, in that it is always there, just how the tank is suiting for it to take hold. Fight it quick and early and in the right way and it goes away but let it get a good start by treating in the wrong way and it will fight you to the death!
That could definitely be the case considering that the tank has been through an outbreak before - there must be a tiny bit left over.

Last edited by oscarlloydjohn; 03-22-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: more info
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
It sucks how we can't access Erythromycin or any other common antibiotic off the shelf in the UK.

I keep forgetting that this is mainly a UK site, and yes, it sucks that you can't get that stuff. (It's gotten strangely hard to find here, as well.)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemi-Clean...rds=chemiclean

That will fry any BGA no questions asked, plant safe, fish safe, I would make up a hot mix and do a 1 day dip in it (after a good rinse).

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
That will fry any BGA no questions asked, plant safe, fish safe, I would make up a hot mix and do a 1 day dip in it (after a good rinse).
Any chance a H2O2 dip would do the same? I don't wanna leave the buce in the bag for days waiting. Also that stuff is super expensive!

I do have easy life blue exit which might work similar but I don't know how I could make a dip for that. It could just be in quarantine for a few days while doing normal dosage maybe?

Last edited by oscarlloydjohn; 03-22-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add info
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Reviving this thread; I just got some new Buce in the mail again and it has a tiny bit of (what I think is) Cladophora around it. I have removed all I can see but am still hesitant to introduce that stuff into the tank - Am I right in thinking that it has to be introduced on plants or equiptment ect. in order to have an outbreak? Or will it just die if the conditions are right like other types of algae such as hair ect. ?

Cheers

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Reviving this thread; I just got some new Buce in the mail again and it has a tiny bit of (what I think is) Cladophora around it. I have removed all I can see but am still hesitant to introduce that stuff into the tank - Am I right in thinking that it has to be introduced on plants or equiptment ect. in order to have an outbreak? Or will it just die if the conditions are right like other types of algae such as hair ect. ?

Cheers
I would remove as must as possible physically, and then give it an H2O2 bath or bleach bath or both.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

Tags
bga, buce, bucephalandra, cyano, cyanobacteria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode