• 2 Post By mfranco
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By mfranco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
120 high tech cichlid tank

Hey guys...Recently started my second high tech scape. It is just recently planted and I have 11 large cichlids to contend with but non the less things are looking good at his point.

Specs - 120gal, 4 HOT5 lamps (7 hour photo period), pressurized CO2, EI fert dosing, sand, and 900 gph filtration/circulation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1EA0EFC-0737-462F-BE26-CA03B3134368.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	839673  

Greggz, Greggz, Quagulator and 3 others like this.

Last edited by mfranco; 04-03-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: changed direction of thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good, Can't wait to see how it looks when the plants get going

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

Lookin good. What types of cichlids do you have in there? Can you give a plant species list?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its a mix of everything, Jacks, Jewels, africans, plecos. I have had them all together for ~3 years now and no problems. As far as plants go I have ludwigia green and red, crypts, swords, anubias, hygrophila, java fern, and a few im not sure about.

I wish the fish were out more when I took the picture, they had just eaten so they where back in their hideouts. I forgot how much of a pain it was getting new plants to take root with large digging cichlids.

120 high tech cichlid tank journal

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Old Oceanic tank...I'd know that cross brace anywhere.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Algae Grower

It looks good! I can't wait to see it grow out.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanxj View Post
Old Oceanic tank...I'd know that cross brace anywhere.
Thats interesting, I picked it up second hand for $150 and it came with the lids and a nice hardwood stand. I have moved it twice, once over 600 miles, and I have had no issues with leaks or cracks. I think I got a good deal.

Bump: I plan on posting weekly pics. With my 4 HOT5 lights, pressurized CO2 and EI dosing I expect to see very rapid growth, CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES!
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfranco View Post
Its a mix of everything, Jacks, Jewels, africans, plecos. I have had them all together for ~3 years now and no problems. As far as plants go I have ludwigia green and red, crypts, swords, anubias, hygrophila, java fern, and a few im not sure about.

I wish the fish were out more when I took the picture, they had just eaten so they where back in their hideouts. I forgot how much of a pain it was getting new plants to take root with large digging cichlids.

I learned the hard way a LONG time ago how much mbuna dig...I had a really cool rockscape set up and they dug underneath it, toppled it into the glass and broke the tank! All the fish were saved but one but I learned then to have nothing that can fall over when those guys get into digging mode. I imagine rooted plants are going to be a challenge....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One week update in the high tech 120

Here is a weekly update, I think there has been some significant growth. I will continue to post every week. Hope you all enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planted tank 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	840969  

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes, the growth is very noticeable. Always nice to take a bunch of pictures along the way so that we can look back and compare the progress.
As mentioned the fish can dig and rocks should all be settled well down to the bottom. I like to place my rocks and then do the sub so that there is no doubt. You may be well into the cichlid behavior and not need any clues but for those who have not yet tried it, there are some things that can be done to improve the odds of plant success with cichlids. They do present some challenge that smaller fish who do not think and plan will not. One is that cichlids are more developed in their thinking and do want to set up THEIR home much more than other fish.
One first step is to settle rocks but then when we get around to planting, I find it helps to give some thought to what the particular fish I have will want to do with the tank. And believe me, some will do lots of things that we need to think about.
Little things count, so pay some attention to those small things like where they will be most likely to dig. If you have mbuna, it is quite likely they will want to dig a pit under/near the edge of rocks. So if you put your plants there, you are simply adding to your problem. Cichlids are not dumb so if they like that spot, put the plants some other place! Up on top of the rock is much safer.
Got to think more than a fish, is we want to do this game!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice start!

Should be interesting with those Cichlids.

Subscribed.

---
---
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your kind words. As promised I will keep this updated at least once a week. So far the biggest challenge has been keeping the plants rooted as some of my bigger guys like to pull them up. My plecos also cause their own fair share of problems the biggest on is like 8+ inches. I will say that the amount of floating plants is decreasing as the roots are starting to take hold. Here is a link to a video of the tank.

https://youtu.be/kXCmTuBzOt8

I appreciate all feedback and tips. THANKS!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A pretty easy way to help hold the plants down is to glue a few roots to a small piece of river gravel. The big guys may still move them but they will at least stay down and not float. Pretty cheap easy thing to then just bury the small rock. No guarantee but some help. Not sure about the pleco long term as mine seem to do too much damage and get moved out! Too many thin spots showing up overnight on leaves.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

weekly update

The reds are really starting to show up in my ludwigia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank update.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	842393  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode