Before I buy a python hose I wanted to ask a few questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Before I buy a python hose I wanted to ask a few questions

My bathroom sink does not have any threading of any kind and I can't unscrew it so how would I be able to connect to my sink. Also I have a big 55 gallon outside I would like to use to python with but the only thing for me to connected to this garden hose what would I have to buy to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
they make adapters for attaching to sinks and hoses. Check a good hardware store.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlany View Post
they make adapters for attaching to sinks and hoses. Check a good hardware store.
How do you attach to a sink with no threads though? I have the same problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

I can't be sure without actually seeing your sink, but usually there is a small piece at the opening that unscrews exposing the threads. There should have been a green adapter with a brass colored screw-in that will adapt your python to those threads. If you don't have a sink that does this, then unfortunately you are relegated to using an outdoor hose thread, unless you feel inclined to building your own adapter.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki nuke View Post
My bathroom sink does not have any threading of any kind and I can't unscrew it so how would I be able to connect to my sink. Also I have a big 55 gallon outside I would like to use to python with but the only thing for me to connected to this garden hose what would I have to buy to do that?
Always room for me to be wrong so pleases excuse me if that it true?
But I might guess you are missing a small point. Is the end of the faucet totally open so that a finger can be stuck into it? Or what I might guess is that there is and internal aerator that can be removed? Only really old have no aerator?
A careful look up into the end may give a different idea. If there is an internal aerator, it may need something like needle nose pliers to grip it to remove it but from there it is pretty standard. I like to see things actually fit so I take the aerator with me to a store where they have a small board for size matching small parts. Find the item that matches size and thread type and then there will be adapters to match what you want to screw on.
Personally, I do not like the Python -type as they are so easy to break and so expensive to repair. I go for just a simple tube that I use to siphon, then attach to the faucet to refill. Much cheaper and last much longer.
If I am totally wrong and there is not an aerator, there are rubber type fittings which can be fastened down on pipes to make a seal but I find them to be a pretty big pain to use. Screwdrivers and clamps and getting it sealed?

Not recommended but available?
https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-09-1657.../dp/B005IQLBOA
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 03-22-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add link
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Does the sink have an aerator or water saver at the end of the faucet?

Google dishwasher adapter.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You could also get a shower diverter valve. https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Shower-...70_&dpSrc=srch Put that in place and adapt the side outlet to your hose. There's also these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OJ3LP0...521749068&sr=1 They are available for tub spouts and sinks. (I think I'd skip the $122.75 expert setup though!).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is my work sink but it's similar to the sink in my bathroom that has that little screen on the inside how do you remove that is there threading there because that's the reason I didn't think there was threading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180322_162228_1521750219043.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	839697  

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

That's just a regular old aerator. You unscrew it. If you have hard water, you may want to put an old T shirt or strip of fabric around the jaws of some channel locks to get it unscrewed without scratching it. After that, you should be gtg.

If possible, I'd recommend using the kitchen sink rather than a bathroom sink.
kozlany and kozlany like this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
As Leaky Filter said, you unscrew it. To be clear, the bottom 1/2"-3/4" of the faucet comes unscrewed. It has internal threads. It has to come unscrewed so you can clean the aerator. You can see the seam towards the top of your picture as your upward facing light is reflecting off of it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Regular aerator but confusing as they come in dozens of types and sizes. Should turn off in the normal way but it is likely to be frozen pretty hard to remove. So you have a couple options. One is to say to heck with the old one and grab it really tight with something like vise-grips. This will scar the metal and then you will likely want to replace it but they are a pretty standard item unless it is a very weird faucet.
Or the more conservative but iffy method is to try to unscrew it without messing up the appearance. Vinegar may be your friend here, if you can tilt a container of vinegar so that the crack at the joint is in the vinegar and let it set for a few hours. It may/might/could soak into eat up some of the hard water collection. Then wrapping the end with something and gripping tight enough to hold but not so tight is scars is the iffy part!
To turn correctly, looking at the faucet from the front, pull the right side toward you. The old "leftie loosey, righty tighty is upside down here!
When you have it off, I highly recommend taking it to the store to size it as they come in truly weird sizes like 55/64, etc. that the normal human being is not going to know just from looking?
What you have is something like this , maybe?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-15-16...erator/3646398
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok ok here is my sink after i broke off the screen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_1521759866251_1521759876055.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	839713  

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess my problem was not really knowing what a narrator was but I figured it out at last
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now I'm just mad I broke this part 😌 thanks for the help im slow apparently 😂
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15217602006011708438541_1521760226733.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	839737  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode