Coal slag in Canada.. Ontario gta area - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Coal slag in Canada.. Ontario gta area

Hi everyone. New to this planted tank... setting up my second tank and decided to try coal slag as a substrate.. problem was it’s hard to find here in the gta... I finally found a place in Hamilton that sells 50lbs bags of it (100% coal slag.... no nickel in it) if anyone is interested. Comment and I’ll let u know where to get it. $9.50 a 50lbs bag size 20. And if there’s something about the slag that I missed when researching it. Let me know before I make my way to buying it. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

You are not going to find it cheap in GTA, I think Finatics in Sauga sells black sand that's probably coal slag. the only other place I know that sells coal slag is TSC store in Uxbridge, it's too far for me to go so I just bought some in etobicoke Senso group Black Shot II it's nickel slag though. You can always wait until Petsmart has a sale on black sand they only come in 25lb bags though for around $20-$25 when it's on sale. I think I paid under $15 for 88lbs bags from senso group, I didn't wash it enough though (one hour worth of washing, should of done 2) I lost lots of fish....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I said I found it for $9.50 for a 50lbs bag. In Hamilton

They said they had lots of it too

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-23-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04tsx View Post
I said I found it for $9.50 for a 50lbs bag. In Hamilton
opps I misunderstood your post, for some reason I thought you wanted to find somewhere closer to GTA lol my bad. I have use coal slag in the pass, it works great and looks very nice. The first time I used it was sometime around 2012, I washed it quite a bit but I guess not enough. I lost 500 yellow shrimp in 2 days... and snails would not survive but after about a year or so whatever it was leeching (probably some copper) shrimps and snails do fine in them now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
opps I misunderstood your post, for some reason I thought you wanted to find somewhere closer to GTA lol my bad. I have use coal slag in the pass, it works great and looks very nice. The first time I used it was sometime around 2012, I washed it quite a bit but I guess not enough. I lost 500 yellow shrimp in 2 days... and snails would not survive but after about a year or so whatever it was leeching (probably some copper) shrimps and snails do fine in them now.

What brand was the stuff you used? Iíve got a tank Iím going to do with some and I was hoping for shrimp, but this has be cautious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 30g Journal:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
What brand was the stuff you used? Iíve got a tank Iím going to do with some and I was hoping for shrimp, but this has be cautious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That I don't know I bought it off a person who comes to GTA from Kitchener once a month in a truck to sell Fish Food and other aquarium stuff way cheaper then any GTA Fish store.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Bell and McKenzie is the place where they sell it... it’s on Sherman ave right at the end of the street at the lake.. inside port authority so you have to buzz in. I think it’s 500 Sherman street.... that’s where they sell it... putting the info on here just in case I’m not around to see if someone posts on this. Hope this helps someone out in the future.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04tsx View Post
Hi everyone. New to this planted tank... setting up my second tank and decided to try coal slag as a substrate.. problem was it’s hard to find here in the gta... I finally found a place in Hamilton that sells 50lbs bags of it (100% coal slag.... no nickel in it) if anyone is interested. Comment and I’ll let u know where to get it. $9.50 a 50lbs bag size 20. And if there’s something about the slag that I missed when researching it. Let me know before I make my way to buying it. Thanks everyone
Hello, I'm interested in slag rock in the GTA, thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode