quarantine tank suggestions/questions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
quarantine tank suggestions/questions?

I have plans for a 10g quarantine tank, I have everything for it, heater filter....... Anyways, I am have a few question and wanted to see what everyone would suggest.

Bare bottom or not?
To run it full time or only run it when I need it?
Based on that last question, to plant/add driftwood or not?

Those are the basic questions for now, I am sure more will arise in time. Thanks

___My 120 Gallon___ EHEIM PIMP #407, 2x 2229, 2x 1250 Hobby Pumps, 1x Ecco 2236, and 1x Eheim Sludge Extractor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i keep a 10 gallon quarantine tank here and it has a plant in it at all times one fish and it of course stays running. you really never know when you are going to need it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
For my quarantine aquarium:

Bare bottom, only run when I need it, and not planted and has no driftwood. It may have a few large stones, PVC pipes for fish to hide in, etc.

Otherwise, if you have an "always running" quarantine aquarium, you will run the risk of it developing into a "normal" aquarium. Then, you will need another aquarium for quarantine...and the vicious cycle continues.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
[QUOTE=and the vicious cycle continues.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, I started with a 10g, then 28g, and now I have my 120g!! all in 2 years.

___My 120 Gallon___ EHEIM PIMP #407, 2x 2229, 2x 1250 Hobby Pumps, 1x Ecco 2236, and 1x Eheim Sludge Extractor

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
For my quarantine aquarium:

Bare bottom, only run when I need it, and not planted and has no driftwood. It may have a few large stones, PVC pipes for fish to hide in, etc.

Otherwise, if you have an "always running" quarantine aquarium, you will run the risk of it developing into a "normal" aquarium. Then, you will need another aquarium for quarantine...and the vicious cycle continues.
Not only that, but you defeat the purpose of maintaining a QT tank if you don't sterilize it between use. All sorts of things (parasites, viruses, bacteria) can be transmitted between batches of fish that way.

I break mine down completey and rinse everything (including filter and heater) in bleach. I keep mine bare-bottomed and use resin driftwood and either plastic plants or disposable plant clippings.

I bring over either an established filter or filter media to the QT tank to "instantly cycle" it when I need to set it up for fish. But I sterilize that media (I usually use sponges, so then I just wash the sponge well and let it dry) before putting it back into the other tank.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode