Water Flow in Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Flow in Planted Tank

I recently received a very generous donation of plants for my 40g breeder planted tank. Originaly I had anachris naja, crypts, an anubias barteri and some vals. The only tall plants were the anubias and anachris but with the addition of all the new plants I have much more plant activity throughout all of the tank, from substrate to surface.
When I set up the 40g breeder I purchased a power head at random and ended up with a 'Sicce Voyager Nano' that is rated to 530 GPH and is FAR to powerful my tank. I currently have a HOB filter (actually hanging on one end of the tank) that is not producing sufficient flow on its own. In my photo the HOB filter is on the left side and the power head is in the back right. I am planning to switch to a canister filter (Fluval 306) at some point.

Questions :

I am thinking of placing the power head under the HOB so the it 'helps' push the water exiting the HOB across the surface of the tank where in theory it should hit the far wall and go down, correct? Is this a good idea?

I was also thinking of putting sponge or some material to obstruct the flow of water in/out of the power head to reduce the intensity. When I turn it on my plants are being abused in current form (and location). Has anyone used sponge or a solid material for this?

The impeller seems like a soft material, I was thinking of cutting away some of it to reduce the amount of water it moves. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full tank pic.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	838721  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBBA View Post
I recently received a very generous donation of plants for my 40g breeder planted tank. Originaly I had anachris naja, crypts, an anubias barteri and some vals. The only tall plants were the anubias and anachris but with the addition of all the new plants I have much more plant activity throughout all of the tank, from substrate to surface.
When I set up the 40g breeder I purchased a power head at random and ended up with a 'Sicce Voyager Nano' that is rated to 530 GPH and is FAR to powerful my tank. I currently have a HOB filter (actually hanging on one end of the tank) that is not producing sufficient flow on its own. In my photo the HOB filter is on the left side and the power head is in the back right. I am planning to switch to a canister filter (Fluval 306) at some point.

Questions :

I am thinking of placing the power head under the HOB so the it 'helps' push the water exiting the HOB across the surface of the tank where in theory it should hit the far wall and go down, correct? Is this a good idea?

I was also thinking of putting sponge or some material to obstruct the flow of water in/out of the power head to reduce the intensity. When I turn it on my plants are being abused in current form (and location). Has anyone used sponge or a solid material for this?

The impeller seems like a soft material, I was thinking of cutting away some of it to reduce the amount of water it moves. Thoughts?
Question 1 - This is basically how I have my 75g tank setup. Spray bar mounted front to back on the far right side with (2) 425 gph nano power heads sitting just below the spray bar. Water flow does exactly as you mentioned - from far right top to far left top, then down. Canister intake is far right at the bottom of the back wall.

Question 2 - a sponge around the intake portion of the power head "may" help - have not personally done this.

Question 3 - Those impellers are pretty well balanced. Removing a portion of the impeller would likely cause it to vibrate - and that is very annoying (personal experience).

If anything, a thin layer of course foam inside the power head housing, when the water would normally exit, might give you exactly what you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks immortal. Now that Ive read your comment on cutting the impeller I realize that one is a bad idea. Glad I asked first.
What do you mean by coarse foam?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wonder why you have the hob on the end instead of the center of the back?
Sometimes I think we sweat circulation too much. I've seen some beautiful planted tanks with nothing more than a simple air driven sponge filter running.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I first set the tank up I wanted it right against the wall for space purposes. I have no thought to flow what so ever as it had not crossed my mind.

On another note, I just finished a water change and I moved the power head under the HOB filter and it made all the difference. There is a fair amount of plant pieces floating around from the water change and the flow may not be perfect it travels the length of the tank and a good portion travels down the wall opposite the filter and then works out way back. I think HOB intake is a bit weak so close to the power head but certainly appears to be an improvement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode