RO water - when to replace filters? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
RO water - when to replace filters?

I've run my RO filter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) since August on the filters that came with the unit.

The TDS of the RO water now reads 3 ppm consistently and I was wondering when should I consider replacing the filters? And which filter to replace?

On my 4 gallon tank, I usually top off 2-3 times a week, is topping off with 3 ppm TDS water an issue? Doesn't seem like it would result in a huge increase in TDS over time.

@clownplanted: where do you get your replacement filters from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't see a pressure gauge on that which is unfortunate. So typically, when you start to see a pressure drop, you replace the sediment filter. When you start to see chlorine show up in tests, you replace the carbon block.

That appears to require a non-standard type filter replacement, you'll probably have to look at your user manual and order from that company.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I don't see a pressure gauge on that which is unfortunate. So typically, when you start to see a pressure drop, you replace the sediment filter. When you start to see chlorine show up in tests, you replace the carbon block.

That appears to require a non-standard type filter replacement, you'll probably have to look at your user manual and order from that company.
haven't done any chlorine tests on the ro water, perhaps i should start.

Also, this unit has been used to produce water for a set of 10, 9, 4, and 2 gallon tanks. I'm ramping up on getting equipment in line for setting up a 54 gallon tank and while this unit has performed admirably, perhaps it's time to consider a better unit?

I see on amazon that the company recommends replacing the DI filter after 300-400 gallons. That'd only be 2-3 months if i kept with a 30-40% WC schedule on the big tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's extremely frequent filter replacement. Is that 3-400 of product water or does that number include waste? If that's including waste, that's awful.

I own two of these -
Refurbished 90-GPD RODI System - RODI-90-REFURB

They work wonderfully. I think you may outgrow your 50GPD unit with that many tanks unless you have something like a 55 gallon storage drum. Also, I've heard that those units along the line of yours and RO Buddy's, the upfront cost is lower but they get you on the filter replacements. The filter replacements on the SpectraPure are actually pretty cheap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
aub...

The filter on a 2 stage system should be removed and replaced every 6 months. A four stage system can go 18 months between filter changes.

M
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
That's extremely frequent filter replacement. Is that 3-400 of product water or does that number include waste? If that's including waste, that's awful.

I own two of these -
Refurbished 90-GPD RODI System - RODI-90-REFURB

They work wonderfully. I think you may outgrow your 50GPD unit with that many tanks unless you have something like a 55 gallon storage drum. Also, I've heard that those units along the line of yours and RO Buddy's, the upfront cost is lower but they get you on the filter replacements. The filter replacements on the SpectraPure are actually pretty cheap.
I don't think it's explicitly stated, but it's gotta be product water. Plan was/is to get drum down in the basement to store water and probably only make about 30 gallons weekly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
The first filter is a simple particle filter. This typically needed to be replaced about once a year. More frequently if you have a lot of particles in the water. Less if you don't

Then you have a carbon filters this will removed chlorine. About once a year. I would recommend replacing this every time the particle filter is replaced.

The RO filter life will depend on the TDS of your tap water and what the minerals ar in it. Once every 1 to 3 years.

The last filter is the DI filter This removes everything the other 3 filters don't remove. When your TDS starts to increase replace this filter.

Your TDS meter can tell you how well your RO filter is working but you need to first remove the DI filter from the system to allow you to test the TDS of the water leaving the RO filter. The GH of water out of the RO filter is typically around 25 or sow but that will depend a lot on your tap water. I would recommend disconnecting the DI filter periodically so the RO TDS can be checked if the water out of the RO filter has a high TDS it should be replaced.

The other way to tell if the RO filter needs to be replaced is to monitor the flow out of the RO filter. If it is low it might be clogged. However low flow can also be caused by a clogged particle filter. So if you have low flow replace the particle filter first. If that doesn't solve the issue replace the RO filter.

It is highly unlikely the carbone and DI filter will clog
aubie98 and aubie98 like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
The first filter is a simple particle filter. This typically needed to be replaced about once a year. More frequently if you have a lot of particles in the water. Less if you don't

Then you have a carbon filters this will removed chlorine. About once a year. I would recommend replacing this every time the particle filter is replaced.

The RO filter life will depend on the TDS of your tap water and what the minerals ar in it. Once every 1 to 3 years.

The last filter is the DI filter This removes everything the other 3 filters don't remove. When your TDS starts to increase replace this filter.

Your TDS meter can tell you how well your RO filter is working but you need to first remove the DI filter from the system to allow you to test the TDS of the water leaving the RO filter. The GH of water out of the RO filter is typically around 25 or sow but that will depend a lot on your tap water. I would recommend disconnecting the DI filter periodically so the RO TDS can be checked if the water out of the RO filter has a high TDS it should be replaced.

The other way to tell if the RO filter needs to be replaced is to monitor the flow out of the RO filter. If it is low it might be clogged. However low flow can also be caused by a clogged particle filter. So if you have low flow replace the particle filter first. If that doesn't solve the issue replace the RO filter.

It is highly unlikely the carbone and DI filter will clog
Awesome, this is great and detailed advice! I guess the $64K question is what's the threshold for determining "when your TDS starts to rise"? Filter at first produced 0-1 TDS and then 2 TDS for a few months and only recently (in the last 3 weeks or so) started producing 3 TDS water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode