Is a 12 hour photoperiod okay? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is a 12 hour photoperiod okay?

Hello I was wondering if keeping the lights on for 12 hours is okay, I was also wondering if the strength of your lighting affects your photoperiod as well. Im just starting out and all I have in there is some elodea. I thought the only reason to have a shorter photoperoid was to control algae but now that I think about it since I have no co2 going would it be better have it on for less time to bring co2 levels back up? I think the only other plant I am going to add is hornwort. This is just going to be a tank for my newts so im just looking for plants that will help keep the water clean and promote newt spawning. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I have had this going for a few days now, The elodea are pearling and I see no algea but im not sure if that will last haha.

Last edited by Aesyir; 03-19-2018 at 01:33 AM. Reason: add more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:53 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
12 hours is definitely a bit long, even if you have low lighting. I would perhaps use around 8-10 hours, and monitor to see if there is an algae (and adjust accordingly)

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would it be okay to change the time all at once or gradually do it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not change it all at once, so as to not prolong the period when algae can continue to grow and accumulate.
Drop it to say, 7 hours/day immediately and see how that amount of lighting works to your liking over time.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesyir View Post
Would it be okay to change the time all at once or gradually do it.
It is fine to decrease the photoperiod in one go.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

While 12 hours off the get go is a little long, each tank is different and can handle different length of light. All my low tech tanks are in excess of 12 hours, usually about 14 hours a day no ramp up ramp down, just on/off. But, these tanks did not start with that much, I gradually increased the length as the plants grew in. I would much rather start with too little than too much, because as everyone else has said, algae can be an issue.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

I could be wrong, but I think the best photo period depends on several factors....

> the intensity of the light.
> the height of the tank.
> the light distance above the tank.
> the amount of supplemental (room/sun) light.
> the cleanliness of the canape (if used).
> the clarity of the water.
> the types of plants.
> the use of injected CO2.
> the amount of ferts.
> high tech / low tech.

So many variables dictate the best photo period. There is no one size fits all.
Basically too much light likely encourages algae and too little light stifles plant growth.

footnote: My light is on from 6am until midnight - 18 hours! (Finnex Planted+ 24/7 in 24/7 mode)
Quagulator and Quagulator like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
As with most things in planted aquaria, your dealing with a set of variables as pointed out by @AbbeysDad would have countless combinations that would make it impossible to tell you how long to run a photo period. Always best to start off with a shorter period and move up from there and see how much the system can tolerate. Sames goes for water changes, etc.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Planted Member

Aes...

12 hours is fine for tropical aquarium plants. Most originate in areas with long hours of daylight, so they're used to the tank lights being on for a long time. I keep elodea (Anacharis) and Hornwort in some of my tanks and floating plants thrive in longs hours of daylight and floating close to their energy source (light). These are easy to grow plants, so they don't need added CO2, they'll get plenty from the surrounding air. Keep the tank water clean and mineralized with large frequent water changes. This will replenish minerals that are changed or lost to filtration and used by the fish and plants.

M
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

You can run lights 24/7 if one chooses (counter-intuitive but its true).
t
Quote:
here is no wrong veg schedule.....24/0, 20/4, 18/6 etc.

personally i perfer the 20/4 OFF, then they get some dark time.....ppl say it's not necessary but i happens in nature....so i figure why not.
Problem is you generally run out of something else.. nutrients/CO2 causing a horrible imbalance..
Ask an "herb" grower..

If the tank is running fine now and you don't WANT to change things.. change intensity proportional to time interval..

i.e 50PAR at 8hrs (16.6 DLI) = 33PAR at 12 hours (16.5 DLI)..
"Should" keep things stable..
The importance of DLI - Greenhouse Management

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That isn't what they teach in Grad school. Reactions are broken up into light and dark reactions. Dark reaction replenish some of the things utilized heavily in the light reactions NADPH being one.
I haven't tested any of it, but that's what the people with Doctorates say.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Banned

I'm not sure how the emersed references are helpful or have anything to do on a practical level with OP question. As you increase photo period you increase the likelihood of algae which is not a factor with terrestrial plants.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
That isn't what they teach in Grad school. Reactions are broken up into light and dark reactions. Dark reaction replenish some of the things utilized heavily in the light reactions NADPH being one.
I haven't tested any of it, but that's what the people with Doctorates say.
Mis-understanding.. Dark reactions occur in the light as well..
I said you could.. never said you should...

Quote:
4 years ago

Aaron I. Velez-Ramirez
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Hi there, most plants would be fine with continuous light. Rose yield, for instance, can even be increased by using continuous light. Be aware, however, that there are some remarkable exceptions!
Tomatoes are very sensitive to continuous light. They even can die from the continuous light-induced injuries (chlorosis and necrosis). Some potato cultivars, eggplant and petunias are also a bit sensitive to continuous light. The degree of injury is affected by light intensity an the light quality. My coauthors and I published a review a couple of year ago in the topic. It can be found here:
Article Plants in continuous light

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ntinuous_light

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I'm not sure how the emersed references are helpful or have anything to do on a practical level with OP question. As you increase photo period you increase the likelihood of algae which is not a factor with terrestrial plants.
Not if you decrease the intensity......
Hours don't mean anything really..only accumulated photon exposure..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wiwszA1WVmH5Ic
Quote:
In this review an attempt has been made to analyze the results of the studies that explored the changes in the growth and devel
opment of plants exposed to continuous light published since the 1930s, including papers that are available in Russian only. Potential be
nefits of using a 24-h photoperiod for the production of greenhouse crops, transplant production in closed controlled environment systems
and the culture of plants in controlled ecological life support systems are reviewed. Continuous lighting is shown to be a useful tool
for speeding up the selection of crops. The mechanisms involved in a plant’s response to continuous light and causes of negative effects of
continuous light (foliar chlorosis, limited or reduced plant growth and productivity) are discussed. Plant response to continuous light depends on plant tolerance and can be modified by alterations in temperature, light intensity, CO2
level, humidity, mineral nutrition and other
environmental factors.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-22-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Hours don't mean anything really..only accumulated photon exposure..
Tell that to a carpet plant.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 AM
Planted Member

Like a few others have said, hornwort and elodea dont need Co2. I keep my light on from 7:30 in the morning till 9 pm. No algae problems exept for some on the anubias ive been trying to eradicate.

Tags
elodea, lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode