General Garden Hose safe to fill up tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 6 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
General Garden Hose safe to fill up tank?

Is a general Garden Hose safe to fill up tank or does the rubber or something leach into the water?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I've been using an outdoor garden hose for about a year now and I have not noticed any issues.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Been using a garden hose for 4 years with no problem. I just make sure when coiling it up that I let the water flow out of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Seek The White Whale!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I use a garden hose too. I have never had an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

After using, I try to use a DC low voltage computer fan, rubber adaptors and funnel to shove air through my water hoses.
It helps keep the hoses clear like the day I purchased them.

Some of the smaller hoses get shoved in the grates of the blower fan from Lasko/H.Depot etc.

Try to get creative, it works
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Like others have alluded to, I think the big deal is the water that sits in the hose getting nasty. I always flush the hose out for a bit before using it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Garden hoses are fine to use. The only potential negative is if/when water remains in the hose and it's warm, unwanted bacteria (and not the beneficial kind) can develop - although this may not present a problem in the fish tank, you certainly wouldn't want to drink it!!! Suffice it to say, better to keep the hose drained and out of the sun. Otherwise, flush really well before use.

footnote: as a youngster we played outside in summer all day and drank from the garden hose. We rode bikes without helmets and rode in cars without seat belts. I'm in my 60's now - it's a miracle!!! LOL

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Garden hoses are fine to use. The only potential negative is if/when water remains in the hose and it's warm, unwanted bacteria (and not the beneficial kind) can develop - although this may not present a problem in the fish tank, you certainly wouldn't want to drink it!!! Suffice it to say, better to keep the hose drained and out of the sun. Otherwise, flush really well before use.

footnote: as a youngster we played outside in summer all day and drank from the garden hose. We rode bikes without helmets and rode in cars without seat belts. I'm in my 60's now - it's a miracle!!! LOL
I did the same I am in my early 40s but how much have changed...better for worse.

good topic as I was wondering the same. maybe a stupid question but how do you guys use the hose for WC?
is there a fitting you can get that connects the the facet to get the siphon going?
a WC with hose for dummies is needed here :P
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Get one of these to stick on the end. Doesn't leak, can easily set flow rate, and can shut off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also put this on the end..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OJ1HE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

^how do you start the siphon with that?
is that better than this:
https://www.amazon.com/Python-13B-Aq..._&dpSrc=detail
/
any recommended hoses or tubing we like? I haul 5 buckets of RODI up a flight of stairs be nice not to have to do that for my FW planted tank.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
^how do you start the siphon with that?
is that better than this:
https://www.amazon.com/Python-13B-Aq..._&dpSrc=detail
/
any recommended hoses or tubing we like? I haul 5 buckets of RODI up a flight of stairs be nice not to have to do that for my FW planted tank.
I also bought that python siphon to build a DIY python. The python actually created work. The problem I had was that with a sand substrate, sand that gets sucked up eventually clogs the python and it needs to be flushed out.

Now I just hand vac into a trash can and fill with the hose.

If you do buy a hose for a DIY python, get a clear one if possible, and one that will lay flat without any kinks or memory.

If I try to get the DIY python working again, I would get clear vinyl tubing and hose repair kit to put hose ends on it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
I did the same I am in my early 40s but how much have changed...better for worse.

good topic as I was wondering the same. maybe a stupid question but how do you guys use the hose for WC?
is there a fitting you can get that connects the the facet to get the siphon going?
a WC with hose for dummies is needed here :P
Well, I'm 'special'. lol
I use an inexpensive Eco 396 submersible pump with a quick disconnect to a hose to drain. I used to use a regular 25' garden hose but kept getting PITA kinks, so I bought a clear python type hose. I have to prefilter water (high nitrates in well water) for the the fish tank WC, so I use the same pump to refill the tank from a bin. For the turtle pond in the basement, I use a faucet adapter for the kitchen sink (hot/cold adjusted for temp) and the same hose to refill (separate pump and hose for the turtle pond drain).

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode