Mail order cherry shrimp and flag fish advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Mail order cherry shrimp and flag fish advice

Hi,

I tried finding a local store that carries the above but have been unsuccessful. The only place I found on the web is azgardens, they have both but I've never ordered from them before. Has anyone done a livestock order with them with good results? Since its the winter here on the east coast good packing and heat packs are important.

Thanks,
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
Mike,
I have never used AZGardens but have heard good things. One thing to be aware of is the flagfish may eat your shrimp if they are small!
If you are interested in cherries though, I can sell some to you. I charge $37.50 for 10 and for overnight delivery it is an additional $15.00! Let me know!

-------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
information.
-------------------------------------
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Well, Florida Driftwood also has them but at the moment I can't recommend them as I ordered 3 Flag Fish on the 8th, was told in a very succint e-mail they would be here Tuesday, have a tracking # (for USPS Priority, they're supposed to be coming USPS Express) but so far it's not even showing in the system. I hung around all day Tuesday, and all day Wednesday, I had to get out today to get groceries for my mum, and now I'm just to the point of not worrying about it. It is the Christmas Rush season after all. C'est la guerre, it's a learning experience .

Maybe somebody will chime in with another source for the flagfish.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Have you scoured AquaBid?

I would look toward other hobbyists for fish and shrimp before I looked toward some online retailers.

PM me if you have a question!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Have you scoured AquaBid?

I would look toward other hobbyists for fish and shrimp before I looked toward some online retailers.

PM me if you have a question!

Mike

We must've been writing at the same time . Dunno about the first Mike, Mike (heh), but I've been watching Aquabid and Flag Fish seem to be a fairly rare commodity; at least now that I want some!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm going to call AZGardens tomorrow and see how they pack/ship their stuff. I imagine shipping is going to be around $25-$30 for overnight so hopefully they have some other items I want. As for putting them together, the flag fish are for my cichlid tank, the cherry shrimp will be for my community tank.

Dwarfpufferfish, I'll send you a PM about the cherries thanks.

-Mike
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The search function can be your friend.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rex,

Thanks for the advice, believe it or not I actually used the search function first. But I still wanted to get some fresh opinion on the subject before dropping close to $100 on some fish and shrimp. I'm going to call them tomorrow to get more details on packaging and shipping.

-Mike
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
I've ordered 6 cherry shrimp from AZGardens before. It was an overnight shipment that also included a bunch of plants and four dwarf puffers. The packing is top notch - the shrimp are in the standard plastic fish bag (which also included some kind of red plant,) and put inside of a styrofoam container and placed inside a larger box with lots of newspaper packing. Unfortunately, I had 3 DOAs with the shrimp, 1 DOA on the puffers, and another puffer didn't make it through the night. I was never compensated for the DOAs even though everything was done according to their ordering and overnight guidelines. I absolutely love their plants and will buy from them again, but never live stock...that's not saying it's their fault the animals died, but they were never replaced.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,

I called them today to find out how they pack their livestock, he told me that if anything arrived DOA I would be given credit. Their packing methods sound ok, they do bag multiple fish per bag which isn't the best thing and don't use breather bags, but will use heatpacks, and the standard styro-box. Shipping would work out to around $40 for me (including box charge), since I'm in NY. Did you talk to them on the phone and they refused to issue credit for the DOA items?

Thanks,
-Mike
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

I hope you have better luck than me. I did receive my fish today. Do you know what? They were sent Priority. Do you know what else? Apparently they were sent out on the 13th. By my calculations this means they've spent the last 5 bloody days in a box with NO heat pack during some of the coldest weather we've had this season. To top it off of course they were stuck in the mailbox instead of being delivered to the door since it was Priority and not Express. I'm amazed they're alive. I don't know how long that state of affairs is going to last though . I've got them floating in the tank in a small plastic container to which I'm slowly adding tank water. I swiped a bit of their water and it appears to be quite acidic, in the neighborhood of ph 6 compared to my 6.8-6.9. Then I'll net them out. I really don't expect them to survive. We'll see. Needless to say I'll not do business with this particular company again .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think I would order fish from anyone until after the holidays. I got my plant shipment from azgardens today. It left their place in Arizona yesterday at 7pm eastern time and I got them at 2:30 eastern today. 19 1/2 hrs is pretty good considering that I live in Cincinnati. They were packed beautifully and looked to be in excellent shape. I will give them my business again.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I just ordered a good number of cherries from them. I'd have to look it up on the invoice, but it was appprox 15. Three were DOA, but I'm on the east coast, it was cold that day, and that seems quite reasonable. Must have been hearty stock.

What I find unreasonable was that I recevied one less than I ordered (I'm positive, I counted three times) and they shipped in a huge volume of water. I'm sure that helps them a great deal on not having to do any refunds on DOAs, but it is done at the outrageous cost of shipping that the customer has to bear.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Scolley,

For that shrimp order, Was it shipped overnight? And how cold was the night on that shipment?

I'm itch'n to order a couple of them from Florida to New Jersey, but a little nervous about it. I was planning to ask him to shipping 10 per bag (4 bags worth of shrimp) next day. I know, yours is from Arizona to Connecticut.

TIA ,
T
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
ThomE - It was overnight. But I believe I opted for next afternoon, vs. next morning. And to make matters worse for the shrimp, FedEx got confused over the address, so I had to go down to their facility to pick them up around 6 PM because the truck couldn't find my house! And it was COLD that day.

So all things considered, the hand full of DOA's seemed pretty reasonable. I don't fault them for that. And they did separate the shipment into two bags. That's why I could count them - the group was broken up into to sets. That many shrimp would have been really tough to count if they were all in one bag.

But you might ask them what the shipping is going to be. Once again, I got some big, heavy bags of water (ka CHING! $), so that many shrimp could cost more to ship overnite, then the actual cost of the shrimp.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode