I've committed the ultimate blasphemy!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What looks better? With fake plants, or without?
With fake plants 14 48.28%
Without fake plants 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've committed the ultimate blasphemy!!!!

As some of you have seen in my journal, all of my plants died due to a power outage over the holidays and a subsequent treatment of Bifuran which turns out is like Roundup for aquatic plants.

So I have no desire to do live plants, not for a while at least. I know I'll be back, which is why I'm keeping all the equipment. So for the meantime I'm focusing on discus. I've got an order of 4 wild discus scheduled to arrive next week.

Now I would like your guys' opinions. What looks better, with fake plants, or without fake plants? I know I know, fake plants are terrible, but I think the hardscape looked too dark, and needed something to brighten it up.

Soooo???

WITH

WITHOUT

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does your discus let you touch him?
Plant a bunch of anacharis in there, they live through anything and grow with practically no work.
If you have enough light they'll get bushy. Yes its an aquatic weed, but w/e.
Rotafolia (sp?) grows pretty damn easy too
err, maybe thats not even close to the right name - its some stem plant that looks like a bushier anacharis
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zareth View Post
Does your discus let you touch him?
Haha yeah, those two Turqs are very tame. Every time I walk by the tank they're at the surface begging for food. They are not shy at all about my hands being in the tank.

~ Jose

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Jose, Ive got a boat load of blyxa thats getting thrown in the trash. Pay for shipping and its yours.

BTW, wrong forum to ask a question like that, did you read this....https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...o-exotics.html

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you insist... With them, but without that back right corner one. Haha.

Sorry about all your plants man. Thats gotta hurt.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I think both look good, I actually didn't know the plants were fake at first until you said so...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
Haha yeah, those two Turqs are very tame. Every time I walk by the tank they're at the surface begging for food. They are not shy at all about my hands being in the tank.
Very interesting - I edited my initial post after you read it, just fyi
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Without looks better IMO. The fake plants are almost distracting from your beautiful hardscape. Plus leaving the hardscape in the background color wise allows your discus to really pop...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
with fake looks better

but

man you really got a good solid hardscape going there
if you put a few mosses and ferns in there you would have a super low maintenance tank but still get the effect you want and have the advantage of real plants. mosses and ferns grow slow and look nice.

anyway my 2 cents

looks good
Elliot
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Im tearing down a 29g this weekend and Jose scored 20 blyxa, alternantheria, pogostemon, and some java moss from me. Maybe someone else would like to help get him away from these plastic plants. His tank was STUNNING before the crash.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Yea the fake plants look ok in pictures, but I imagine they look worse in person. All plastic plants Ive seen look good from afar but when you get up and close they are obviously fake. I also would recommend getting some real plants back because your tank looked AMAZING with them and Im sure the Discus would appreciate the water cleansing the plants would do. Maybe just some surface plants and a few slow growers if you don't want all the maintenance.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are fake plants as good as real ones?... Of corse not. But I think that tank looks too empty without them. I voted "with fake plants"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
If your set against live plants, I vote for With te fake plants. Without, it doesn't look as vibrant.

Beautiful hardscape by the way! It's screaming fir some moss though...<--- not helpful, but true

You can call me Bob

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

I second the anacharis, or something similar. I kept anacharis alive in a bowl of tap water with just ambient room light to grow out after the goldfish chewed it up. It's cheap too, so no heart ache if it dies.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet chariot View Post
I second the anacharis, or something similar. I kept anacharis alive in a bowl of tap water with just ambient room light to grow out after the goldfish chewed it up. It's cheap too, so no heart ache if it dies.
I've done that before too. But with endlers that refused to die ( wish i hadn't gotten rid of them, I just thought they were ugly guppies )

I could never get my anacharis to stay down though. It grew like crazy, but it floated all over and looked terrible.

Floaters would be good as well.

You can call me Bob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode