65g dry start - It begins! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
65g dry start - It begins!

I planted it up just now. There are 3 Crypt lucens, 1 Crypt parva, and 3 pots of Lilaeopsis maritius. Substrate is eco complete with 5 teaspoons osmocote plus. I saran wrapped the top and left a small opening on one side. I'm running 2x39w T5HOs during the dry start, with plans to cut back to a single bulb once I fill it with water (not going to use CO2).

This is my first dry start, and I'm pretty nervous about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Never tried dry start, I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Looks good so far!

Sabrina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Out of curiosity - why dry start? To prevent early algae issues?

Most folks do a dry beginning with Hemianthus callitrichoides since it grows faster emersed, and less issues with dislodging and algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Yeah im curious as well. The crypts will put out emergent leaves and when you fill you'll have to wait for them to switch back. Nice tank BTW.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mostly curiousity, since I've never tried it before. I'd also like the lilaeopsis to get nice and thick and rooted before filling. I am going low tech and expect slower growth once immersed. This is an office tank, so I'd like the carpet to fill in. Regarding the crypts, I didn't put too many in there. I just wanted to see how they did with the dry start.

We'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good.

How long are you going to let it grow emmersed?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have no idea how long I'm going to leave it this way. I might chicken out in a week, or maybe It'll do well and I'll leave it running a couple months like this. I'm hoping for about 6 weeks, but I really have no idea what to expect.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo View Post
I have no idea how long I'm going to leave it this way. I might chicken out in a week, or maybe It'll do well and I'll leave it running a couple months like this. I'm hoping for about 6 weeks, but I really have no idea what to expect.
fair enough.

Make sure to update. I love seeeing before and after pics.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will do. I plan to take pics once a week for progression shots. I'm a terrible photographer with just a cell phone cam though. Should still be good enough to show the progression.

This morning the plants look better than I expected them to after the weekend, especially the lilaeopsis which has really perked up. I brought in some water from my 10g taken just a bit after dosing to mist with.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 week in. Not much growth, but the lilaeopsis has greened up. As expected, all of the crypts are beginning to melt. The parva is the worst. I have some white fungus/mold on the mopani root. I'm just ignoring it.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

2 weeks in. Seeing significant new growth on the lilaeopsis and 2 of the 3 Crypt lucens. The third lucens is doing nothing. The Crypt parva looks really sad and pathetic.

It is a little hard to see, but I tried a closeup that turned out better than I expected with my poor photo skills and nothing but a cell phone cam. All the shorter leaves on the lilaeopsis are new, and there are a bunch of them all over the tank. It is looking like it might start really taking off soon.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh and the duckweed is doing wonderfully in a puddle... (((( loud cussing ))))

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
The closeup looks great. Nice job on the Lilaeopsis. The Crypts might need a bit more time, but should come around as well. Will be interesting to see how they react to getting submersed. Or just keep it as a dry tank.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hehe! I won't be leaving the office tank dry. I already get enough questions about why I have an empty tank with saran wrap on it!

Like I said about the crypts, I just put them in there for the heck of it since I had them and wanted to see what they did. The lucens are responding just fine. 2 of them are taking off and the third is holding out ok. The parva though... Blech... It looks terrible.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3 weeks in. Lilaeopsis is showing tons of new growth all over. I'm very happy with how it is working out with the foreground so far. The crypts are doing better. 2 of the lucens are taking off. The third had been languishing but finally put up a new leaf this week. The parva looks MUCH better this week than last and has sent up a new leaf. 2 of the older leaves didn't melt like the rest and actually look good this week. Sadly, the duckweed is also doing very well even though I've been picking it out. Man I hate that stuff...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode