Fishless Co2 question - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Bryce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was wondering I have a newly planted tank. Fluval flex 9 gallon. Stock lights ect. I run pressurized co2. I EI dose 2x week . All my plants are growing like crazy no trouble for last 3 weeks. . Tank water is RO remineralized I live in Phoenix and water is horrible. Anyway my tank is running PH 6 kh 4 with co2 on. That's puts me over or near 120ppm. My drop checker is yellow almost or all the time. I don't want to keep fish shrimp or any live stock. I want it planted only. So with all this I couldn't find anywhere on the internet my question. At what point is Co2 harmful to PLANTS. Not livestock. Is there even a limit? I have read all the science I could and while some say it's a waste of co2 no harm. The science also suggested to much is a bad thing for CERTAIN plants only. Not much else is said. I'm growing about 10 different plants most would be considered high tech and a few low tech. I have been keeping a balanced tank . Really high Co2 low to med light. EI dosing. Low pH. 50% water changes 1x week. This is about solving a problems just wondering if I'm the only one who does it only for the aquascape. And if there is someone whith this scenario? Thanks Bryce

After reading over my post and no idea how to edit. A better way to phrase my question is Co 2 a non limiting factor in a plant only tank?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-15-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Hi @Bryce and welcome to TPT.

Good question that got me thinking aloud here. I have no experience with plants only tanks but I bet there are more experienced folks here at TPT.

My first thought is that as the water becomes more and more acidic it starts to destroy plant tissues, very much like the effects of acid rain. That assumes that one can pump enough co2 to overcome water's buffering capacity to drive pH down.

My second thought is that as the water becomes more acid, metals become more soluble. Aluminum and copper come to mind as being toxic to plants.

Too much of a good thing.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Given that most,or many aquatic plants in the wild maybe do not grow completely submerged, do not like being completely submerged,and have near unlimited access to 300 to 400 pm CO2 from atmosphere,I do not think a measley 20 ppm or 120ppm(doubt this) we might be able to provide, is gonna hurt the plants any.
OP says they are dosing EI twice a week.This is not EI dosing.
EI is a method of providing nutrient's ,not a brand of fertilizer or said nutrient's.
Just sayin.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the responses. I was curious if anyone else runs like this and their feedback and results were. As far as EI dosing I use Nilcog Macro and Micro liquid fert, in separate bottles. It's based off the EI dosing platform . I only dose 2x a week due to the fact I run at a low light scenario. In my other tanks I dose a little more or less based on co2 and lighting.
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode