Ask Me Anything; help for beginners - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you and I will stick with 2 and sorry hadnt seen the post above mine. And Can I replace the birchir with a ropefish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquigglyThing View Post
I have a reasonably big Amazon Sword, and would like to make cuttings/propagate it. How do I do that?
Swords will take care of that on their own for you once they reach what I call critical mass. If conditions are right and they're happy enough the large sword species will send out a stem looking runner that will grow smaller plants as long as you make sure it stays underwater. If it goes above the water you'll get flowers.

Regards,
Phil
post #63 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks phil

post #64 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

How do you keep a hospital/QT tank cycled between having fish in there?
post #65 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSkrimpyboio View Post
Thank you and I will stick with 2 and sorry hadnt seen the post above mine. And Can I replace the birchir with a ropefish?
I don't have experience with ropefish, but I've seen a journal here of someone who's keeping them successfully. Try looking that one up.

Regards,
Phil
post #66 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

The sword is in a flowerpot of potting soil with a sand cap that is 4" by 12" and the plant is 10" high, and 12" wide in every direction. I don't see any babies. Is it potbound? How much bigger does it have to get before it has a baby? Can I cut off part of it at the roots and get two plants?
post #67 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks Phil. I'm using amazonia but I assume that as it ages it won't be able to buffer as well (12 months?). I really like the stone so I'd like to try to work around it as much as possible. Maybe do small daily water changes and try to dose ferts daily on an as-needed basis instead of EI?
post #68 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaythesalmon View Post
How do you keep a hospital/QT tank cycled between having fish in there?
You've got a few options. If you know you're going to need to quarantine some new fish, hanging an extra bag of filter media in a running tank will seed it. Also, squeezing out sponges from an active filter into the QT tank ahead of time will help seed the filter as well. Keeping a "sacrificial fish" in there full time works too. If you're medicating, you're going to kill off the filter bacteria so you'll need to keep an eye on ammonia and such. Hopefully you won't have to have a lot of fish in there if you're medicating.

Regards,
Phil

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquigglyThing View Post
The sword is in a flowerpot of potting soil with a sand cap that is 4" by 12" and the plant is 10" high, and 12" wide in every direction. I don't see any babies. Is it potbound? How much bigger does it have to get before it has a baby? Can I cut off part if it at the roots and get two plants?
It could be potbound, yes. I can't say for sure how big it needs to be to throw out a runner as it all depends on the environment the plant's in. I would suggest against splitting the plant itself as you'll likely kill it. I'm sure some people have had success splitting a big sword, but I would still recommend against it. If you can give it a bigger pot or plant it directly in the substrate it may be enough to give it what it needs. Adding root fertilization could help as well.

Regards,
Phil
post #69 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Hey there Sandra and welcome to The Planted Tank! Would you please tell me how many of each of the above fish you have and what filtration you've got running? If you can upload a picture of the tank that would be helpful too.

Not the best picture, but you can get an idea of what I have. I'm planning to replace that rock in the middle with a cave. It has 2 double sponge filters (each is rated for 20 gal) I really just put the second one in there because I had it.
There are 5 hatchetfish, 6 glowlights, 5 neons, and 3 otocinclus also a couple of random pest snails that came with the plants.
post #70 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyrobyn View Post
Thanks Phil. I'm using amazonia but I assume that as it ages it won't be able to buffer as well (12 months?). I really like the stone so I'd like to try to work around it as much as possible. Maybe do small daily water changes and try to dose ferts daily on an as-needed basis instead of EI?
If it's Amazonia then it's got enough nutrients to last quite a while without needing to add things except perhaps Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium depending on your source water. If you look at the progression of additives ADA recommends, Brighty K is near the top and that's a Potassium additive. If it were my tank, I'd get it running without the light and let the initial ammonia release cycle the tank and add CO2 at the same time to see how hardness and such change. No lights, no fertilizers, just water and CO2 while the tank's cycling.

Regards,
Phil

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
Not the best picture, but you can get an idea of what I have. I'm planning to replace that rock in the middle with a cave. It has 2 double sponge filters (each is rated for 20 gal) I really just put the second one in there because I had it.
There are 5 hatchetfish, 6 glowlights, 5 neons, and 3 otocinclus also a couple of random pest snails that came with the plants.
A male Paradise Fish or a Dwarf Gourami would go especially well in there since you're using sponge filtration.

Regards,
Phil
post #71 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSkrimpyboio View Post
I don't have experience with ropefish, but I've seen a journal here of someone who's keeping them successfully. Try looking
that one up.
Regards,Phil
Thx and can you tell me who was ?
post #72 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm sorry, I don't remember who. Check the Tank Journal section.
post #73 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
...No lights, no fertilizers, just water and CO2 while the tank's cycling...
No plants? Should I do the dry start method to give the plants a head start?
post #74 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks anyway
post #75 of 286 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyrobyn View Post
No plants? Should I do the dry start method to give the plants a head start?
Nope, no plants. Running CO2 without anything in there will let you test the changes in hardness without worrying about things living in the tank and the no light thing will prevent algae while the tank cycles. If the GH and KH don't change much with the CO2 on you could go ahead and try running it when it comes time to add plants. Give it at least two weeks though so you can check consistency; a month would be better (while the tank cycles). Amazonia puts off a LOT of ammonia for the first month or so. If you had it going with light, CO2, plants, and fish right from the start you'd be doing water changes every day. Patience now will pay big dividends down the road; especially for such a small tank.

Cheers,
Phil

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode