148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ask Me Anything; help for beginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
GDA...hmmm. Would you please tell me more about your tank? What're the lights, filter, CO2, ferts, etc? How often do you clean the tank vs. only removing/exchanging water? Pictures would be helpful as well.

Regards,

Phil

The tank is a 40 breeder. The light in the rear is a Fluval 3.0 and the foreground is covered by a Finnex Fugeray Planted+. At the substrate I measured the Fluval @ 114 PAR and the Finnex @ 65-70 PAR. The rear was covered by a Finnex 24/7 CC but thatís when the algae was at its worst. The reason why I increased the lighting is because I noticed there was significantly less algae on plants that were closer to the light getting blasted with PAR, and my pogostemon yatabeanus was shedding leaves like crazy. Since increasing the light intensity, the pogostemon has quit shedding its leaves.

I also increased micros and that seems to have helped, in conjunction with the higher light, new growth isnít getting much or any algae at all.

Photoperiod is 8 hours and, according to online calculators, co2 should be roughly 35-40 ppm when lights come on.

I perform a weekly 50% water change, removing any organic waste I can. Any leaves that have fallen off, leaves that donít look like theyíre doing well, getting as much detritus out of the java fern as I can. Filter is cleaned about once a month, SunSun 303b.

It seems like Iíve figured out how to keep new algae from growing on new growth, but if there was a way to eradicate the stuff thatís existing on the plants rather than thinning everything out, that would be awesome. Ironically it barely even grows on the glass now, only a very slight haze that I wipe off on water change day.

Here are some pictures.

You can see it pretty good on the java fern to the left.

And here pretty good on the bacopa.

Hereís what new growth is coming in like, alternanthera reineckii lilacina, pogostemon yatabeanus, and crypt undulata red in the shot.

Hereís an overall tank shot, in the front Iím trying to grow out some pogostemon helferi and a crypt flamingo, theyíre brand new and not in the best shape yet.

Macros are front loaded on water change day and micros are doses 3 times a week.

CSM+B is dosed to 0.2 ppm Fe and DTPA to 0.1 ppm Fe because my pH without co2 is 7.4 and dKH 5.

On water change day my nitrate is about 30-40 ppm (API kit is hard to distinguish) and phosphates about 2-3 ppm (darker than 2 but not quite as dark as 3).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks to me like you've got things pretty much dialed in. Since the algae are on old leaves your best bets are to either a) remove all of the affected leaves and wait until it's time to trim or b) wait until it's time to trim and then replant the clean segments. Either way, the best thing you can do it maintain the regimen you have right now until the stems have grown a few more inches then trim and plant the clean stuff. Removing the algae covered leaves beforehand is up to you.
Greggz likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #258 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It looks to me like you've got things pretty much dialed in. Since the algae are on old leaves your best bets are to either a) remove all of the affected leaves and wait until it's time to trim or b) wait until it's time to trim and then replant the clean segments. Either way, the best thing you can do it maintain the regimen you have right now until the stems have grown a few more inches then trim and plant the clean stuff. Removing the algae covered leaves beforehand is up to you.

Yeah thatís what I was thinking but maybe there was some hack lol.

The hardest part is thinning out the windelov java fern, itís gotten so bushy itís a challenge to prune down to the rhizome, and it took a long time for it to get to that point. Ah well, such is life.

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #259 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Yeah thatís what I was thinking but maybe there was some hack lol.
There is, it's hacking your plants down and using only the fresh and clean material. Sometimes algae will go away once the tank's environment improves, but most of the time trimming and/or removal is the best and quickest method. Unfortunately there aren't any real workarounds when it comes to things like this. Good husbandry practices are fundamental to making the solid foundation that tweakable things like light, CO2, and nutrition are built on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
The hardest part is thinning out the windelov java fern, itís gotten so bushy itís a challenge to prune down to the rhizome, and it took a long time for it to get to that point. Ah well, such is life.

Thanks for the reply!
I hear ya, thinning ferns is sometimes detailed and time consuming work. If you want to clean it down to the rhizome, get some sturdy scissors and hack off all the fronds. Sometimes a good trim and thinning out the rhizome is needed and helps the plant out a lot. Yours is looking pretty thick, why don't you give it a go? An friend of mine used to say years ago that "Plants like scissors.". It's true. Thinning and trimming helps to improve circulation and can stimulate new and healthy regrowth. It also gives you the chance to clean up an area you may not have been able to get to easily before.

Regards,
Phil
varanidguy likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #260 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
There is, it's hacking your plants down and using only the fresh and clean material. Sometimes algae will go away once the tank's environment improves, but most of the time trimming and/or removal is the best and quickest method. Unfortunately there aren't any real workarounds when it comes to things like this. Good husbandry practices are fundamental to making the solid foundation that tweakable things like light, CO2, and nutrition are built on.

I hear ya, thinning ferns is sometimes detailed and time consuming work. If you want to clean it down to the rhizome, get some sturdy scissors and hack off all the fronds. Sometimes a good trim and thinning out the rhizome is needed and helps the plant out a lot. Yours is looking pretty thick, why don't you give it a go? An friend of mine used to say years ago that "Plants like scissors.". It's true. Thinning and trimming helps to improve circulation and can stimulate new and healthy regrowth. It also gives you the chance to clean up an area you may not have been able to get to easily before.

Regards,
Phil
I can definitely attest to the cleaning part. Once a portion was thinned out a bit, I was able to get to some detritus that I didn't even know was there. During weekly water changes, I blast the rhizome area with a turkey baster to get as much out as I can, but when the rhizomes have grown into a mat, there's only so much that method can get out. Every week I've been thinning them out as much as I have patience for, but it gets to the point where you're just "done" when you have kids and a wife needing attention also. lol (In reality, the wife isn't bad at all, she understands and lets me work on the tank as much as I want, but the kids, especially the 2 year old, start getting really curious and want to be right in the way to get the best view).
Phil Edwards likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode