Ask Me Anything; help for beginners - Page 16 - The Planted Tank Forum
 148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanAndAli View Post
I just discovered that my plants are to arrive today but the tank isn't here until tmrw. I didn't expect the fast delivery! What's the best way to store them until it arrives? Just in a pitcher of water? My other tank is small but I could put them in there and let my guppies be cramped for a day. Thoughts?
XanAndAli, sdwindandsea made a good point- as long as you know when they were shipped and how long they've been in the container. Assuming they're in individual seal bags, you can put them on a windowsill or any other lit place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahandhana View Post
Hi phil,

Today 2 of 4 my SAE jump out of my tank, any idea why they do that?
Fish can jump for a number of reasons. Active fish like SAEs may start swimming fast, sense the glass is near, and go up/jump to avoid the obstruction. Other times jumping is a fear response. I'm sure there are many other reasons, but those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflames123 View Post
Do you know the best way to get rid of extra endlers/guppies if you have a small tank?
Bleach.

I've made the mistake of having livebearers in a planted tank before and ended up having to tear the whole thing apart to get rid of them. Granted, that's a pretty extreme measure, but it works. Other methods are: doing a major trim and catching as many as you can while there's not much hiding space; trying to catch as many as you can every day until they're gone; and bleach.

Livebearers can be beautiful fish in a planted tank. If you want to keep them, make sure you get all males next time. They're anatomically correct and have a gonopodium/penis instead of the triangular anal fin that females have.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Good to see Phil finally got an assistant!

Maybe a few more of us should sign up to be the "on call" plantologist for days when Phil is out????
Hey, it was only overnight. Even I need to sleep sometimes.
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 3 others like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 260 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
@XanAndAli,

How'd the plants do?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #228 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
They are great! I just got more too, from Aquarium Coop both times they arrived in 2 days even though we are not close geographically, so I am pretty impressed.

post #229 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

I have another one for you.

I recently reworked my planted 75. I removed a LOT of dirt and recapped with new sand. This new setup looks much much better. I have done a couple of water changes since I installed the new cap, though after even just a day I see a yellow green murkiness to my water. I did over fertilize the water as I had the plants out of the tank for a couple of hours. I also cleaned out my canister filter, replacing all filtration medium ( no fish yet ). I was not able to clean the hoses I will just have to deal with the residue. I did not clean the sand prior to install. Black sand, specifically for aquariums. not dyed.

I guess I'm just now trying to figure out what is now making the water more murky, the last water change I did was maybe 80% and again twice since the new substrate. I will continue to do water changes to see if that eventually helps clear the water. I do have two medium sized mopani pieces that in hindsight maybe releasing some residue themselves.

some backstory. I did not realize that too much dirt will create massive gas pockets and I used extra dirt to create small hills. I found massive pockets that were causing eruptions of organic soil on the top of my substrate. I, as above, removed a lot of the dirt and leveled out my substrate. I retained a bunch of lava rocks and two pieces of wood, previously mentioned.

My thoughts are: 1. too much fert ( liquid ) easy-green and sea-chem iron. ( iron recommended dose ).
2. sand
3. unknown. Residue off of rocks/wood/plants?

I've jumped into the deep end. ( 1st planted tank flooded 4-15-18 ) - Dirted with sand cap - Very messy when water was added.
75 Gal, Fresh Fluval Plant 48" Bluetooth. Co2
post #230 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Algae Grower

Cleaning

I am new to this and I have add some success and have not been successful. so this whole thing is about trail and error. I have a 55 gal aquarium that was full of brown algae. It was a fight to the end, I took everything out of the tank cleaned it, cleaned plants and replanted in another tank. Now I have the tank left, I reading about filling the tank with water and pouring a cup of bleach to kill remaining algae. Using a spray bottle with water and bleach and spray let it sit for a few hours then hose out. Hydrogen proxide with lemon spray in and hose out. what are my options with sterizing my tank to prevent from happening again....

Last edited by wlaws; 06-04-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: wrong post
post #231 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

I am new to this and I have add some success and have not been successful. so this whole thing is about trail and error. I have a 55 gal aquarium that was full of brown algae. It was a fight to the end, I took everything out of the tank cleaned it, cleaned plants and replanted in another tank. Now I have the tank left, I reading about filling the tank with water and pouring a cup of bleach to kill remaining algae. Using a spray bottle with water and bleach and spray let it sit for a few hours then hose out. Hydrogen proxide with lemon spray in and hose out. what are my options with sterizing my tank to prevent from happening again....
post #232 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Algae Grower

My bottle of prime smells bad of sulpher. Has it gone bad?
post #233 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
My bottle of prime smells bad of sulpher. Has it gone bad?
100% normal. Smells like egg farts but that's just how it is.
post #234 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
You made me laugh out loud literally with this one, but you are also spot on! Ha!

|

post #235 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Algae Grower

And here I thought it was the fish that stank!
post #236 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

I can't find Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix anywhere. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. Is there any reason why I can't find it? Has it recently gone through a packaging change? I have looked at Lowes, The Home Depot and my local Ace Hardware. I don't know where else to look and I don't know what other soil mix is safe. A guy at the local Ace Hardware convinced me to buy compost. Saying that there wasn't any manure, or moisture lock in it. Is this a safe option?
post #237 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

Should I siphon my betta's gravel in his 2.5 gallon tank? If so, how often? (yes it's 2.5 gallons. It was originally just a quarantine, but he was happy enough in it that he made a bubble nest)
When I siphon the gravel in my 10 gallon tank (the fish inside are being treated for ich right now), should I remove them beforehand? Most of the fish are corydoras.
What do I do with the ich infested water after a water change?!? I feel like it's not a great idea to just dump it down the drain...
post #238 of 260 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadonis View Post
I can't find Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix anywhere. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. Is there any reason why I can't find it? Has it recently gone through a packaging change? I have looked at Lowes, The Home Depot and my local Ace Hardware. I don't know where else to look and I don't know what other soil mix is safe. A guy at the local Ace Hardware convinced me to buy compost. Saying that there wasn't any manure, or moisture lock in it. Is this a safe option?
I got a bag last year and it was full of pearlite. The best I found was the cheapest that Home Depot carried just dirt with a bit of manure. I let it soak for a month and it was fine.
post #239 of 260 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 PM

Question

@Phil, firstly let me say thank you for making your time and your advice available, very generous.

First some quick background about my case:
I'm taking a break from reefing and will be making a more serious go of a FW planted tank for a change of pace. I plan to be fairly high-tech, with CO2 injection, decent T5 lighting, running my (reef) controller to handle temp and PH monitoring, automated dosing of ferts etc. I have all the gear already so why not put it to use?!

On to my question:
In the reefing world I had my suite of Salifert test kits and Hanna ULR colorimeter for P, and in that world API stuff just wasn't up to par. But Google has yet to point me to the preferred test kits for monitoring the following values in FW:

NO3
PO4
K
Ca
Mg
S (maybe)
Fe
and I'll keep an eye on PH via probe running on my controller and periodic checks with a test kit.

Can you point me to the preferred testing methods for those? Are the API kits more respected in the FW world, and if not who's products should I be looking at? Are there reagent variants or color cards for Salifert kits that allow them to work accurately with FW?

Thanks in advance!
post #240 of 260 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:06 PM

Hey, thank you for offering your help. I have a newly set up 20 gallon long. I cycled it with our older small tank by connecting them together. We chose a large piece of Manzanita Driftwood that really looks cool in the tank, however we have a lot of algae in the new tank. I planted two bunches of anacharis because they were cheap until I could get the plants that we ordered.
Long story short, the plant guy did not come through with our plants and so I need to find a new source.
If I purchased one low growing plant, what would be the best choice that would grow quickly and would out compete the algae ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode