Cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Phil Edwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water

Hello all I have a 55G with two marineland penguin 350 bio wheel filters I moved from a 29 and never had a problem with cloudy water but once I I upgraded the first day the water was crystal clear the next day (today) it's cloudy as I look I can see like a cloudy mist moving through the tank, all my parameters are 100% good what could be causing this? Could it be to much outflow from filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlack86 View Post
Hello all I have a 55G with two marineland penguin 350 bio wheel filters I moved from a 29 and never had a problem with cloudy water but once I I upgraded the first day the water was crystal clear the next day (today) it's cloudy as I look I can see like a cloudy mist moving through the tank, all my parameters are 100% good what could be causing this? Could it be to much outflow from filters?
is the 55 a new tank? it could be from substrate not being rinse completely. try using some fine filter floss in your filter for a while and see if it clears up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also wonder if it might not be from new substrate that might not have been rinsed ,or dirted tank.
I would not be inclined to clean filter's that were moved over especially the biowheel's.
Would let the filter's run as they are a couple week's before cleaning one ,and then the other one the following week.
Water changes whether there are fish or not,once or twice a week ain't gonna hurt nothing.
Number's for water parameter's are much more revealing than description's/opinion's like good,normal,great,spot on,etc.
Just sayin.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Algae Grower

wouldn't even think about it until 3 or so days and it's not clear. You doubled your water volume and a new tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Re: cloudy mist moving through tank after swapping substrate ...
just wait the week or two (maybe three) and it should go away on its own. you can try water changes to help make it a little better or just proceed as normal and let nature take its course.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's a new tank and new substrate with established filters you're probably going through a substrate haze and starting a cycle. Give it some time to settle down and you should be golden.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Algae Grower

Super helpful folks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode