My DIY Co2 Trial - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post My DIY Co2 Trial

Just putting this out for suggestions and feedback. This is my first post so Im sorry if I do something incorrectly in advance.

NOTES:

I have a 55 gallon planted tank so i use 2 3litre bottles at the same time. For the mixture I also get another set of bottles ready around week 3-1/2.
I have averaged about 4-5 weeks with this procedure and then some.
At lights out I run the powerhead until sunrise
I added 1 cup crushed coral to my filter to raise my dKH to 5
My PH was 6.8. I usualy sit at 6.4-6.6.

30 plants assorted and no amazon's
30 community fish ( angels,cats,tetras,gobys) Mr Pleco and my Runt StrConvict TYSON.

***************DISCLAIMER*****************
I have experimented and used many recipes from the web if you don’t like my mix or you think I stole it from you It is not my intention .
I am just posting so I can learn from others.

I also caution you to make sure anything you " DIY "
is safe and you take protective measures to ensure this does not cause any bodly harm or your entire mix all over the living room.

I am an Amateur!
***************DISCLAIMER******************

Supplies :
1. 1 -3 liter bottles w/Cap ( drill hole in cap to fit item #3)
2. 2 check valves (placed inline between bottle and ladder#6)
3. 2 bulkheads or air/water fittings ( L*wes/Home De*ot)
4. Co2 resistant tubing – mine came with bubble ladder’s
5. GOOP Glue ( glue item # 4 to Cap of bottle
6. 2 Bubble ladder’s - (during the day surface agitation is almost still so I have 1 on each end to cover roughly 50% of the tank) Does this benefit me ? my splitting the work ?

MIX:
1. 2 Cups boiling hot water ( funnel into Bottle )
2. 2 Packs Regular Gelatin 33 cents at the market ( funnel into bottle )
3. 2 cups cane sugar
4. CAP and SHAKESHAKESHAKE
5. uncap and add 2 cups cold water and repeat step # 4
6. Vent the cap and refrigerate overnight or until mixture is solid . (a lot of foam ontop is ok also) Anyone know how to get rid of the Foam ?

NEXT Day

1. Add 1 cup of WARM water to Bowl
2. Add ˝ tsp of cane sugar
3. Add ˝ tsp Active Dry Yeast ( Stir fast for 30 seconds )
4. Add to Solid Mixture
5. CAP tightly and wait for production ( 4-5 Hours lately sometimes a day )
6. Hook up to tank equipment

With that said should I change anything ?

Enjoy

JippAlbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A couple of points.

If you are going to use the jello method then mix the jello in a pan and cut it into strips or chunks and place them in the bottle. It gives you a lot more surface area to work with. Also get some wine yeast instead of the bread yeast. I found that bread yeast was unable to process all the jello mix before it died from too much alcohol. The wine yeast are able to process the mix and still be alive. One packet of good wine yeast will last you at least a year. For the next batch just pour off the liquid and leave the yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottle and you are set to go.

You don't need the goop. There is a much better way to make the tubing have an air tight seal in the cap. It's called a small drill bit. I find an 11/64th" bit works great.

What is your pH AFTER you added the crushed coral to the tank? With a kH of 5 you should have a natural pH of around 7.8° If you are getting a pH of 6.6-6.4° during the day with your CO2 and then run the powerhead all night then your fish are most likely experiencing a 1-1.2° pH swing every 24 hours and that's not good for them. IMHO you would be much better off to not run the power head because you will have less of a pH swing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
A couple of points.

If you are going to use the jello method then mix the jello in a pan and cut it into strips or chunks and place them in the bottle. It gives you a lot more surface area to work with.

( Great I will try this next ) would I get more co2 production ?

Also get some wine yeast instead of the bread yeast. I found that bread yeast was unable to process all the jello mix before it died from too much alcohol.

( If I added baking soda would this fix the problem ? Where do I get wine yeast ?)

The wine yeast are able to process the mix and still be alive. One packet of good wine yeast will last you at least a year. For the next batch just pour off the liquid and leave the yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottle and you are set to go. (OK)

What is your pH AFTER you added the crushed coral to the tank? With a kH of 5 you should have a natural pH of around 7.8° If you are getting a pH of 6.6-6.4° during the day with your CO2 and then run the powerhead all night then your fish are most likely experiencing a 1-1.2° pH swing every 24 hours and that's not good for them. IMHO you would be much better off to not run the power head because you will have less of a pH swing.
Can I run the powerhead a few hours then ? I really run it to circulate the particles that build up on the substrate an such . ( i am not fully planted yet)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode