metal stands at lfs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
metal stands at lfs

Are those metal stands at the lfs worth it? I built the stand for my jbj bank and it was fun. Its been to cold to build one outside. I am thinking of getting a 20 long for it.

What do you guys think, they also have a wood one both for around 40 bucks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
have you tried ikea for other options?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have never bought a stand. (though I have had one thrown in with the price of a tank I bought on craigslist) I usually go to as secondhand store and find a piece of sturdy furniture and just modify it to my liking, or build one from scratch.

I'm sure that the stands they sell at the big box pet stores are strong/sturdy enough to support whatever you need them for, they just look wicked cheap/tacky IMO.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i think that they are cheap/tacky also. i have one though. it came with my 29g. its real sturdy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
It really depends upon what you're trying to accomplish and what budget/space you have to work with.

If you have several 40B tanks, some of those aesthetically-challenged (okay, ugly) metal stands can support 2 of the 40Bs (stacked) in a minimal amount of space. You also get decent access to the lower tank. There are metal stands that will support 2 2OL tanks, too.

If you're trying to make the aquarium/stand a showpiece for a particular room in a Architectural Digest photo shoot, then you definitely want to consider other options. Like a 250G tank.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would also add that each person needs to consider their own skills. Most anyone can build a stand that will support the tank, but if you want something that also looks good, you need some skill to do it.

Also, doing it yourself takes time. If you buy a stand all you need to do is put it in place and level it.

I would caution people about using Ikea or other furniture for a stand. Make sure that it can actually support the weight of the tank. That little 10 gal tank is going to weigh about 100 lbs by the time it's set up. Also, make sure the item to be used as a stand isn't made out of particle board or other material that is not strong and/or will fail if it gets wet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post

<edit>

I would caution people about using Ikea or other furniture for a stand. Make sure that it can actually support the weight of the tank. That little 10 gal tank is going to weigh about 100 lbs by the time it's set up. Also, make sure the item to be used as a stand isn't made out of particle board or other material that is not strong and/or will fail if it gets wet.

Great points to keep in mind. One thing I'll add is if you look at stands designed specifically for aquariums, you'll notice they don't have wheels.
That cool looking wheeled TV cart might at first seem like a good idea, but it isn't; there is a very good reason why commercially available aquarium stands don't have wheels.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Also, make sure the item to be used as a stand isn't made out of particle board or other material that is not strong and/or will fail if it gets wet.
Every tank stand I've had that I didn't build myslef has been made from particle board.

Yes, it expands and looks like crap if it gets wet (which it will), but the big name tank stand manufacturers all seem to use it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

Particle board is used in making some aquarium stands because it is much cheaper than using and treating wood.

Untreated / uncovered particle board can soak up water so I wouldn't use it if I was building an aquarium stand. Covering particle board with Melamine on both sides with edge banding can help make it more resistant to water, but in the end it is still a particle board core.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I've made this point before, but I can't believe that any store would sell a stand for a large (55g+) tank that has only 4 or 6 legs that come in contact with the floor. A typical 90g tank weighs about half a ton, and if there are six "feet" on the stand, that means 160+ pounds per very small point. A normal human weighs at least that much divided by two feet which are each several times the surface area of one of those "feet". And while my house is only 65 years old, I (and the surface of my tanks) feel vibrations from a person walking across the room.

Do yourself, and your joists, a favor and build your own stand with as much floor contact as possible. Perpendicular to your floor joists where possible. As long as you use a level, and a whole lot of screws, you can't possibly make a less sturdy stand than you'd buy at an average LFS unless you were drunk, blind, and trying to destroy as much as possible.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode