Is it safe to use ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it safe to use ?

Hi i have another issue that i wanted to ask you guys about. Actually two issues

I had equipments from a previous tank, filters and gravel but the tank had gotten infected with ich and all the fish i had in it had died so i just left it in the open so they had been dried out for the past 8 to 9 months. Now with the new tank i am using fluval subtrate i wanted to know if using any of the gravel and filter from old equipment would be a mistake ??

And second issue is how much light watts would i need for my 10 gallon tank if i use compact flourescent bulbs?? I am trying for a medium to high light for baby dwarf carpet ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think the old equipment would be fine - the Ich life cycle takes maximum 10 days in a tropical tank and it would definitely be dead if it was fully dried!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
I think the old equipment would be fine - the Ich life cycle takes maximum 10 days in a tropical tank and it would definitely be dead if it was fully dried!
Thank you i washed them with boiling hot water aswell to be on the safe side..

If someone would help me in the lighting area aswell .. just dont need to get this wrong and i read WPG isnt usefull for small tank such as mine

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would think a 13watt CFL would be plenty of light for that small of a tank. What you use for a shield/reflector would have a dramatic effect on how much light enters the tank. The other advantage with a CFL is you likely would be able to raise or lower the fixture to get the right amount of light.

I am currently using one of these bulbs over a 5 gallon tank with pretty good success.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
I would think a 13watt CFL would be plenty of light for that small of a tank. What you use for a shield/reflector would have a dramatic effect on how much light enters the tank. The other advantage with a CFL is you likely would be able to raise or lower the fixture to get the right amount of light.

I am currently using one of these bulbs over a 5 gallon tank with pretty good success.

So two bulbs of 13 watts should be enough high light for my tank ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would think so. Again, all depends on the reflector and how close you mount the lights.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode