What NOT to Buy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
What NOT to Buy

We have all done it, picked up a product or material we thought was gonna work great only to get home and realize, "this is a peice of junk".

Well, please, share your mistakes here in an effort to prevent the same by others. (particularly impulse buyers like me)

My most recent, a glass cleaner that wasn't a mag-float. I should have known to spend the extra $3, but no, I thought to myself,"its just a magnet with some felt pads attached to them". The thing is terrible, the felt is cheap and already tearing off and the fact that it falls to the bottom and disturbs substrate/picks some up in the pad is way more annoying than I anticipated.

Anyone else waste some of thier hard earned money recently?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aquarium gravel. The amount I saved over getting eco-complete wasn't worth it.

Also an electric gravel vacuum. It takes my fish at least a day to overcome the stress of my trying to use it and if it gets too close to the edge of the tank water spills out and rocks keep getting sucked up into it and I have to stop and I don't think it even makes that much of a difference in tank cleanliness.

This is a good idea for a thread.
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Hope you get the answers you're looking for before the mods shut this down. Giving honest (negative) opinions about products/brands/manufacturers is frowned upon on this forum for some reason.

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzi View Post
Giving honest (negative) opinions about products/brands/manufacturers is frowned upon on this forum for some reason.
Wow. Now there's a lot of positivity spilling from you. Happy New Year.

Vendor reviews are not allowed for some good reasons, which have been explained to you repeatedly.

Back to the topic on hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Plastic check valves. Don't do it, EVER.
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I bought a battery-powered air pump a while back. The thing worked, but I swear my lawnmower was quieter

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Used filters. Just spend the extra money to get a new one.
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Traveling about 60 miles to get a 55g gallon that was pristine (on CL), getting there, and not checking the light fixture (t5ho, with moonlights, and oh! It would have been perfect, had the whole thing not been corroded beyond repair), finding out that the stand was actually particle board, and not wood, like she told me, and oh, paying the entire 150$. I found out about the lights when I got home.

Moral: Be an informed person, and don't ignore the red flags you get about something.

I've also done the floating magnet thing.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I pretty sure as long as we don't mention names it should stay within the TOS.

I've bought one those plastic ring food holder thingy. It's suppose to stick to the side and float so that the flakes stays within the area but of course some pieces sink once wet. It was a mess.

Just 1 more I promise......

post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a long squeeze trimmer with interchangeable ends. The scissor ends would lock up on a plant and wouldn't open up. I had to uproot the plant to get the thing open.
post #11 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
A friend told me an integrated hood was the way to go. Filter and lighting were part of the hood itself, which meant that neither could be upgraded without removing both. Additionally, in order to get into the tank to do any maintenence, the hood folded open ...and the light would then be pointed up and away from the tank. And in an otherwise dark room, that made things interesting. A hundred bucks for a learning experience.
post #12 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Duckweed.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #13 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you bought duckweed?

I thought they were complimentary with every purchase of aquatic plants. That's how I got my duckweed.

post #14 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
duckweed.
+1,000,000!
post #15 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

I thought they were complimentary with every purchase of aquatic plants. That's how I got my duckweed.
Me too.

I too regret buying a magnet algae cleaner.... I got the one from Walmart. The felt is bumpy now, hard to describe, like not even layer...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode