Dividing! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dividing!

I want to have glosso growing in the front left,,DHG in the back left...and hill going from the middle to the right wall. and seperating the sections will me some nice white sand. And i need 2 things, some sort of divider to keep my DHG and glosso from going into my sand, and something to go in between my seachem flourite and the sand so it doesnt mix. Any suggestions for my dividers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could try some thin clear plastic that will bend easy. This should work for separating substrates and plants.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
No matter what you do, the only way to really keep DHG out of the sand is going to be to keep cutting runners as they grow into it. It grows fairly aggressively and will jump over, go under/around any barriers from my experience. When the roots have nowhere else to go they will grow runners vertically out into the water. This will be especially important to keep it out of your glosso. If you have a good barrier it will be much easier though, as all the runners will hopefully be on top where they are easy to see/cut.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Eventually, the sand and flourite will mix a bit, this is almost impossible to stop in the long term. You can keep it relatively clean though with a bit of effort.

I had a tank were I tried to separate the two. I used a piece of posterboard like material from an arts/crafts store. I dont remember the name of the maker but it was a white plastic sheet that is used for dry erase markers. With white sand it is nearly invisible. Clear would be prefferable, but I never found anything both flexible enough and durable enough to leave in there long term.

If you go to this link:

ncarrol1.wordpress.com

And look at my bottom 55 gallon, you can make out the line from the plastic divider vaugely, but like I said, it is pretty well hidden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can get a small sheet of plexi from any hardware store. If you heat it lightly with a torch it will become very flexible. You can mold it to any shape you want. If you don't ahve a torch even a lighter held a few inches from the plastic wold work.

I have made some frag racks for my reef tank that hang over the edge of the tank with this method. So the slight curves that you wold want for your barier should be no trouble.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode