Frustrated with 125g - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Frustrated with 125g

Hey guys I've been fighting this tank ever since I got it with plants. My 55g was nothing near this amount of plant frustration.

It could be I'm just currently in a not caring as much about the tank with so many other life things gong on, or just frustrated to the point of giving up having a nice planted tank, but I dunno.

I've been overrun with bba it seems as well as all types of other things.

My lights are 2 36" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 CC. They are on max from 9 to 5 with quick ramp ups and downs to total darkness.

I also have a 48" Finnex planted Plus on a timer from 12 to 5.

No ferts other than root tabs.

Plants are simply Java fern, anubius, Amazon sword, wisteria, water sprite, and Taiwan.

I do an 80% wc every week for the discus.

82 degrees.

No c02 which is probably my main issue.

Here's photos. Do I just need to start over?

Parameters are all great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
25ml Metricide14...Depending on your risk tolerance. Can do a lot more.. not to ever exceed 1ml/gallon......
Quote:
If dosing Metricide 14 without diluting:
Initial = 3.6 ml per 10 gallons
Daily = 3.6 ml per 50 gallons
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...atio-dose.html

After you knock it back then you need to deal w/ the root cause..
Your tank currently looks better than my 55 did...

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
The rarely ever disagree with @jeffkrol , but I would not mess around with Metricide in a discus setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker2005 View Post
My lights are 2 36" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 CC. They are on max from 9 to 5 with quick ramp ups and downs to total darkness.

I also have a 48" Finnex planted Plus on a timer from 12 to 5.
You have all low-light plants your running too much light and at max for 8 hours plus the up/down. The waste from the discus is landing everywhere and creating a hotbed for the BBA especially in all the crevices of the rock and wood. BBA starts before you see it with too much light not enough uptake.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Will flourish excel (for plants) kill my discus?

YMMV...........

never accept one opinion..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Banned

Overdosing meth in a discus tank is always risky and it's not worth it, period. Did you even read the thread you attached and that was at normal dosing of excel. Attaching old threads is not convincing. Pouring that stuff into a discus tank is just not worth it, period.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Overdosing meth in a discus tank is always risky and it's not worth it, period. Did you even read the thread you attached and that was at normal dosing of excel. Attaching old threads is not convincing. Pouring that stuff into a discus tank is just not worth it, period.

Quote:
I also used it in the recommended dosage (not manufacturer's, but other hobbyists) to kill BBA and no problems there either (had cardinals, plecos, corys, and discus in the tank at that time).
normal dose woudn't do squat in most cases..
I apparently "read" it better than you..

Well we are back to the "show me" part..
Who killed their Discus w/ what dose of met?

none of this implies you are wrong.. or I am wrong..or right.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

If you don't use it the discus are safe - FACT. If you use it your discus might die - FACT.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you leave your fish out of water they will die FACT..

honest question:Who killed one w/ Excel???
I can kill ANY fish w/ the wrong amount of glut...FACT

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

If you never used meth before and you go with that initial huge dose to mimic excel you are taking a chance with your fish. That is a fact. I could attach plenty of threads of people that killed their discus with excel, but I have other things to do.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never raised discus, but 80% water change weekly sounds quite excessive. This is contributing to the growth of the BBA. Your CO2 levels are constantly fluctuating with each water change. I would think 25-30% would suffice, depending on water parameters. However, the waste from these fish alone may warrant more frequent WCs, due to nitrate/phosphates levels rising. That's something you should probably check now.

I agree about cutting the lights back. Not that any of this will help you with the BBA now, but something to think about should you decide to start over. Even if you did manage to kill all the algae, the older leaves will always be 'pitted' from this stubborn algae. Your BBA looks pretty well established. I would probably just re-plant, if it were me. I haven't had much luck with fighting BBA with excel or H202. At best, it knocks it back some and the worst case is killing fish and melting plants... which happens often with the improper use of glutaraldehyde.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
If you never used meth before and you go with that initial huge dose to mimic excel you are taking a chance with your fish. That is a fact. I could attach plenty of threads of people that killed their discus with excel, but I have other things to do.
got to do the work for you.. again..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...on-discus.html

Quote:
I killed a young Discus using a normal dose of Excel, first time it was exposed to the stuff. If you have not been using it in that tank before start with a very small doise and raise it gradually. What do you mean less active and a little stressed? What kind of Discus? What is their eye color and stress bar appearance? What is tank temp? What is their size and breathing rate?....DC

Like I said.. never take one opinion..

Interesting thread:
Quote:
I see that their appetite has definately slowed down. the water has also clouded.

Apparently killed the autotrophic bacteria leading to a bacterial bloom..

BTW: Used 10-12ml Met 14 in a 20gal and Angels and cory didn't die.. nor Nerites
Yea angels..

Discus "may" be more sensitive..but ???????

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-03-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: edit
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

You could attach all the threads you want. Your fish are at risk when you use the initial large dose and your rolling the dice. If it's one in twenty do you want to be that one that loses their discus because of certain parameters in your tank that put your fish more at risk. It's common sense and certainly not worth it to get rid of BBA.

Gotta go mow the lawn.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
got to do the work for you.. again..

Like I said.. never take one opinion..

Interesting thread:

Apparently killed the autotrophic bacteria leading to a bacterial bloom..

BTW: Used 10-12ml Met 14 in a 20gal and Angels and cory didn't die.. nor Nerites
Yea angels..

Discus "may" be more sensitive..but ???????

2 fish died in that thread you linked. Post #10 and #15.

I think it probably had more to do with larger doses and fish that weren't tolerant to it. I've used up to 2 mL per gallon on fish/shrimps that had been exposed to double daily doses for a week prior with no signs of stress. Just the other day I stressed these same 'bulletproof' amano shrimp with just 1 ml/gallon. They stayed glued to my moss tree all day and wouldn't even come out during betta feeding time, which they usually go nuts for his pellets. This is after a month of not dosing excel in this particular tank. While they do better when slowly working up to larger doses, it's still some nasty stuff. Not sure what long term issues it causes them but I'm pretty sure it's not good. I keep the stuff around for fighting filamentous algae but I still have an uneasy feeling about dosing it every time. I like to do a water change soon after spot treating, just to be safe.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flourish Excel
Quote:
I've used Excel at double and occasionally triple dose to fight back both black/ red brush algae and the green hair algae. Works for me.
Quote:
I use Excell. I used it at high levels to clear my tank of hair algae, and use it at normal levels once a week or two. I'm not very consistant I guess. but, my plants are growing well.
Apparently.. Flip a coin.........................

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

A few SAE will clear that right up!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode