How much water "slosh"/water movement back & forth is too much for a tank's silicone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much water "slosh"/water movement back & forth is too much for a tank's silicone?

My tank stands 70" tall supported by a 48" stand. The tank and does not rock too easily if one tries to actually make it rock, it's sturdy. Obviously at this height it's obvious that no crazyness and shenanigans should go on around this tank because surely it can be toppled over if forcedand. Water volume is 75g

The problem is by simply walking around the tank and stopping quickly to check it out can send the energy up through the stand into the water, which can easily begin to take on a slight "sloshing" motion. Jumping down from a chair or whatever I'm using to reach into the tank will also send the water sloshing in a second or two after jumping down.

edit: it's comparable to running your hand back and forth the length of the tank which can ultimately turn catastrophic if you went too crazy lol

I'm not worried about it falling over unless people are partying around it.. it's stable enough, but can this bit of water movement rip apart the glass at the silicone seams?

TOO LONG DIDNT READ!: Tank (75g) stands 70" tall or so with about a 48" tall stand & sits level & sturdy but walking around it or getting off the chair when maintaining will send energy up through the stand into water making it ripple max about 1cm at either end, though resulting in quite a scare to me can this rip apart the glass at the seams?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<

Last edited by ridethespiral; 01-04-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: made it seem less drastic LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I have seen small ripples in my tanks if someone goes stomping by, but never sloshing. Sloshing sounds scary to me.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sloshing may exadurate it a bit, it's not as crazy as I may have made it seem. The water level will move +-2 at most either side and it just worries me that at this volume, that a little bit of movement could into an overwhelming amount of pressure on the silicone.
it's comparable to running your hand back and forth the length of the tank which can ultimately turn catastrophic if you went too crazy

It quickly subsides but this is literally my expression when it happens + arms out as if I have some magical force that will slow it down

Like I said it's not enough to cause any doubt in the ability of the tank to resist toppling but I'm afraid of the glass seams
The flexibility of the silicone gives it strength against this exact force does it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I have seen small ripples in my tanks if someone goes stomping by, but never sloshing. Sloshing sounds scary to me.
How tall do your tanks stand though? At this height everything becomes magnified.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<

Last edited by ridethespiral; 01-04-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: grammar more info quote lol

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im worried about your floors being strong enough to hold a tank that size. A contractor told me not to put a big tank on the 2nd floor of new construction because houses are so shoddy nowadays that it probably wasn't built to withstand that much weight in such a small footprint.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
If youve got sloshing, seriously, get some screw jacks for your floor. My tanks are tall but dont slosh. I even had a 65 hex that didnt slosh. It was 6 feet tall on a two foot footprint. Your water should not move side to side at all.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's not a very new house lol. I can see from the basement that the tank is supported very well. The house is two levels excluding the basement. The tank is on the main floor against the wall with the beams directly on the concrete foundation running perpendicular so there are about four located directly under the tank.

I've checked again and again, and the tank is absolutely level. Just this slight waving/rocking motion the water does every now and then when I'm not being careful getting down from reaching into the tank or something.

If this rocking motion the water did was obviously alarming and dangerous, I would have taken the tank down a long time ago The tank and stand itself do not even budge when this occurs
I have tested everything right from the start. filled with only water in the beginning.

A little fear of mine involves tanks falling or breaking LOL
what can I say, I may be a little paranoid when it comes to a glass rectangle box standing tall holding a whopping 75 gallons of water nearly 6 feet in the air!
stupid scary disaster threads on here......

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
may be the stand is not tight at all the joints

i had a buddy with a 55g that had a problem with it doing as you described, we went and sunk a few more screws into the joints of the stand to help tighten it up. the problem went away

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
may be the stand is not tight at all the joints

i had a buddy with a 55g that had a problem with it doing as you described, we went and sunk a few more screws into the joints of the stand to help tighten it up. the problem went away
that certainly is something to think of, but I'm pretty certain theres tons of screws. There's enough and some more in there haha.

lets set this straight for some people since I edited my posts to make it sound less dramatic..

The water does not slosh as one would imaging "sloshing" I chose the wrong word. From simply jumping down the water picks up a ripple, doing it a few times in succession can cause the ripple to increase exponentially but seems to be at a certain frequency only. Jumping really fast around the tank would do nothing but scare my fish. Slowly and the energy within the water builds and builds but never the point where I'm assuming damage would be caused.. It would take some stupid retarded person around the tank to worry me.

I over exadurated lol, wrong words.
I am just curious whether or not silicone joints can at least handle a bit of force from water moving back and forth within the tank. Dumping a couple gallons of water violently into the tank or causing some waves using your hands would cause something I would genuinely worry about tearing apart the seams

ps: there is a myth that those familiar with the show MythBusters put to the test. I'm not sure of all details of the myth, but it included many marching men going down a bridge. The bridge apparently started resonating with the stomping in succession of the men and energy built from a slight vibration not even noticible to building up to large swaying which resulted in the collapse.

it is this 'resonance' with which the water is 'occilating' that I'm talking about. It's interesting yet scary!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

+ or - 2...is that inches?

That would make me faint.

What does the tank sit on? Bare wood floor, carpet, carpet with padding?

My 75g sits on padded carpet on the first floor of a house that was built in 1912. There is no water movement when I walk by the tank. Actually, none of my tanks have ever done that in any house on any floor.

In contrast, I reluctantly helped a friend setup a 40g breeder on a poorly built stand that would rock when you walked by. Six months later the seems split while he was at work.

I would think most ground floors could hold 75g. I would take a closer look at your stand. Reinforcing it would be cheap and easy insurance.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOL no oops, cm.
I'd say 1cm and under if I was jumping like a mad man for a few moments.. I have bad judgement. Any more and I would have ended up with water spilling over anyways, I keep the tank really full.

Nothing happens when walking by, and usually just a little bit when jumping down. One would have to be really trying to make this happen to make it scary. But it has the possibility which concerned me. Paranoid lol..

Pretty sure I have my answer though and that this bit of movement is not enough to be concerned. just a little frightening when I see all the ripples/movement when I jumped down. I figure there should be none at all

since the incident I've stopped jumping off the chair and it has also stopped lol.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
I believe that much water movement over time, or one rather large event could indeed rupture your seams.

My tank journals
&
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The water movement will not hurt it. One cm of water movement is a ripple not a wave. I am more of a reef guy as of late and with the wave makers people use I would not worry. I would be concerned about the flooring or stand if it is moving.

example movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5P-...eature=related

I forgot to mention that I notice that the higher the tank is off the floor (taller stand or tank) it will transfer floor vibration easier. I am sure a person that knows physics could clarify the term or if it is true.

Odie's Planted Playland 75gallon Crypt heavy

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

I used to have my 75g Tall (30 inches tall ) tank on a stand years back and i noticed the same thing. when walking by it. When i moved into my current home i also decided the tank was going to be upstairs in the main living space. So i decided to use the staircase cutout as a stand and rebuild it a bit stronger with 2x6's. This was gone over by a contractor buddy and designed to hold well over 1000lbs.

I know this doesnt answer your question on the silicone but it was my solution for slosh on a pretty tall tank.

here is what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethespiral View Post
My tank stands 70" tall supported by a 48" stand. The tank and does not rock too easily if one tries to actually make it rock, it's sturdy. Obviously at this height it's obvious that no crazyness and shenanigans should go on around this tank because surely it can be toppled over if forcedand. Water volume is 75g

The problem is by simply walking around the tank and stopping quickly to check it out can send the energy up through the stand into the water, which can easily begin to take on a slight "sloshing" motion. Jumping down from a chair or whatever I'm using to reach into the tank will also send the water sloshing in a second or two after jumping down.

edit: it's comparable to running your hand back and forth the length of the tank which can ultimately turn catastrophic if you went too crazy lol

I'm not worried about it falling over unless people are partying around it.. it's stable enough, but can this bit of water movement rip apart the glass at the silicone seams?

TOO LONG DIDNT READ!: Tank (75g) stands 70" tall or so with about a 48" tall stand & sits level & sturdy but walking around it or getting off the chair when maintaining will send energy up through the stand into water making it ripple max about 1cm at either end, though resulting in quite a scare to me can this rip apart the glass at the seams?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie View Post
The water movement will not hurt it. One cm of water movement is a ripple not a wave. I am more of a reef guy as of late and with the wave makers people use I would not worry. I would be concerned about the flooring or stand if it is moving.

example movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5P-...eature=related

I forgot to mention that I notice that the higher the tank is off the floor (taller stand or tank) it will transfer floor vibration easier. I am sure a person that knows physics could clarify the term or if it is true.

Well there you go...

My tank journals
&
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

On my reef tank I have a wavemaker and can easilly get a couple inches of ripple in a 20 gal tank.

If you stop and compare 2" of ripple in a 20 gal tank to a couple centimeters in a tank as tall as a person... Well lets jsut say I wouldn't worry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode