General Input on Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
General Input on Setup

I was hoping to get some general critiques on my current setup.

Equipment
75 Gallon
Fluval FX4
Beamswork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater 0.50W
TC420 LED controller
Pool Filter Sand Substrate

Plants
Java Fern
Wisteria
Amazon Sword
Nano Anubis

The plants I purchased are tube plants from Petco and Petsmart. I was able to get these for very cheap with the $10 petsmart coupon. I planted all plants in the substrate except for the java fern. I have the java fern attached to an ornament with sewing thread.

Water Changes: 50% weekly with 80% RODI and 20% Tap. I am mixing tap water to provide GH and KH.

I have the following questions and concerns

Fertilizer: I purchased NilocG DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer. I plan to use the Macro and Micro Fertilizer bottles at the recommended dosage but only once a week. Since this is not a high tech tank I was a bit confused on exactly how I should dose my tank.
Lighting: Lighting is at 100% intensity for 10 hours with a 2 hour siesta. I believe this light should be more than adequate in terms of par levels. Is it too much light without CO2?
Substrate: I wasn't planning to use root tabs but after reading a bit perhaps I should? Can I get away without using them since I am using a liquid fertilizer?

Any general feedback or things I should be doing to my tank to encourage plant growth?

Last edited by radian23; 03-02-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Location: Southern Tier of Central New York, USA (Finger Lakes Region)
The Amazon Sword would benefit from root tab(s) as they are a heavy root feeder.
The Java Fern and the Anubis must have their rhizome above the substrate.

My website and Blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Planted Member

I second the root tab advice for the sword. Since you really dont have too much plant life in there, consider a light fert dose. Or, get a bunch more plants (that would be my choice!).
I have a single anubias nana petite from Petsmart - itís actually doing quite well. It was cheap, so I had low expectations. I may need to get a few more.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

high light, no Co2 is a no-no. look up some cheap DIY Co2 methods. Avoid liquid Co2 because some of your plants will melt from it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Appreciate all the info. On my way to Petco to get some root tabs. I figure I might as well put the root tabs in for each of the plants.

Moved the Java Ferns and Anubis above the substrate. I'll get some rocks this weekend and anchor them to it. Thank you for pointing out that mistake.

As for the high light I had it at 75% power for the last 2 months and algae hasn't been too bad. If I run into issues running at 100% I'll be sure to turn it back down. I wanted a high output light as I might do CO2 in the future.

I'm hoping to add more plants in the future to get rid of all the plastic ones but I wanted to make sure I could be successful with these before getting some more.

Last edited by radian23; 03-03-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Update

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode