What type/brand of silicone adhesive to use? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Olskule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,

I am considering making a 2-3inch high partition wall to separate white and black sand in my new tank. I have read that generally having multiple type of substrates is hard to maintain as the fish and current will move things around. I'd still like to give it a go and am considering using corrugated plastic that I can bend to shape and cut to size, topped with stones so you can't actually see the corrugated plastic. Questions:

1. I assume corrugate plastic is tank safe - any experiences?
2. I'll stick the stones onto the plastic and fill in the gaps with silicone. Any suggestions on which brand to use? I found this on Amazon - will this work? https://www.amazon.com/Black-Aquariu...dp/B00EZB2MDI/
3. Any tips for a first time user of Silicone? I've never used any adhesive other than glue tubes or glue sticks!

Thanks!

Here is another one ... much more expensive per oz, but I won't need a caulking gun, so that would save me some $$$ ..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Sili...0755/100128841

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-01-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
GE Silicone I (with no additional additives) is usually recommended; it is fairly cheap, and most likely will be cheaper than anything that is marketed as 'aquarium'.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
GE Silicone I (with no additional additives) is usually recommended; it is fairly cheap, and most likely will be cheaper than anything that is marketed as 'aquarium'.
Just to clarify, you want type I as noted above; and not type II. Avoid anything that claims to be mold/mildew free.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Location: Southern Tier of Central New York, USA (Finger Lakes Region)
I have [also] used GE Silicone II Clear Window and Door - as long as it's labeled 100% Silicone you should be fine. (Steer clear of kitchen and bath silicone that most often has the mold inhibitor chemical).

My website and Blog:

-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
From my understanding there is also a GE I for kitchen and bath that is mildew resistant so be sure to watch out for that. You want window and door.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I have [also] used GE Silicone II Clear Window and Door - as long as it's labeled 100% Silicone you should be fine. (Steer clear of kitchen and bath silicone that most often has the mold inhibitor chemical).
NO!!

The amount of additives they add is so small that they can still list as 100% silicone.

Tot he OP

Try Dow Corning 795. It is the one silicone that will stick to rocks. I don't know of any silicone that really sticks to plastic over the long haul however.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
NO!!

The amount of additives they add is so small that they can still list as 100% silicone.

Tot he OP

Try Dow Corning 795. It is the one silicone that will stick to rocks. I don't know of any silicone that really sticks to plastic over the long haul however.
Silicone in the Aquarium Hobby Part 2

My website and Blog:

-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I've never seen anything about GE I being bad for tanks but on the GE II I've seen both sides. One guy says it is fine, another it killed his tank off. Other places say the II is supposed to interfere with fertility.

My point was directed more at
Quote:
as long as it's labeled 100% Silicone
As for Silicone II you need to watch the labels. From the Home Depot description of GE Silicone II:
Quote:
Silicone II 100% Silicone for use in kitchens and baths and around sinks, tubs, tile and countertops. The 7 year mold-free product protection helps keep the cured caulk mold and mildew-free and looking clean for 7 years, with regular cleaning
30 minute water ready so the shower can be used in as little as 30 minutes and the caulk won't wash away
7 year mold protection yet still 100% silicone. This will kill your fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SiliconeII.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	835441  

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 03-08-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Add
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I've never seen anything about GE I being bad for tanks but on the GE II I've seen both sides. One guy says it is fine, another it killed his tank off. Other places say the II is supposed to interfere with fertility.

My point was directed more at
As for Silicone II you need to watch the labels. From the Home Depot description of GE Silicone II:

7 year mold protection yet still 100% silicone. This will kill your fish.
What you quoted was "kitchen and bath" which may or may not contain mold inhibitors. By it's very nature, 100% silicone resists mold and mildew without additives. I can only say further that I have used 100% Silicone II Window and Door to seal aquariums. I made sure it was fully cured and never had a problem. Note: If not fully cured, Silicone II will release ammonia and we all know that's not good!
Still, If you can find it (sometimes difficult) GE Silicone I (100% Silicone) WINDOW AND DOOR is the probably a better choice. (Still, be sure it's fully cured!)

My website and Blog:

-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 AM
Algae Grower

I needed some for a small repair project on a couple of my filter's media baskets (stupid sunsun uv light destroyed them)...lowes or home depot near me didn't have the type I and I was leery of type II. They had DAP brand but I wasn't sure about it. End of the day, I spend 9 bucks at Petsmart next door to Lowes on Marineland brand "aquarium" silicone. I probably lost 5 bucks but I'd already spent a couple hours researching it and checking the stores! Cost of half a lunch, I didn't need much and I figured this would be pretty safe to use.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From what I can determine by researching labels and product descriptions, GE Silicone II is a line of different silicone products with various additives designed for specific purposes, even though the different formulations are all labeled "100% silicone". GE Silicone I once said specifically on the label that it is safe for aquariums, but years ago they dropped that wording for some reason. (I suspect it is by agreement with other companies that purchase silicone from GE and market it under their brand specifically for aquarium use, but that's just my suspicion.) However, unlike most GE Silicone II products, GE Silicone I does not specify that it is NOT safe for use in aquariums, so judge for yourself or take the word of many aquarists (including myself) who have used it successfully for many decades with no problems.

It's a little late to help you this time, but if you're looking for just enough aquarium-safe silicone for a small project, Loctite markets a squeeze tube that specifically says it's safe for aquarium use. I have bought this at Lowe's, but for some reason, I can't find the same product in a caulking gun size. The small squeeze tube costs nearly as much as a large tube, but I've found that once a caulking gun size tube is unsealed, the clock starts ticking and its useful life is limited before it cures in the tube; plus, the smaller tube is easier to manage on small projects, so unless I'm planning a complete tank build or resealing project, the small tube works fine.

Olskule
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

"May the Fish be with you."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode